This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Oil ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Oil ??
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm
Would/do any you guys run Harvest King (Rural King) brand engine oil in your vehicle engines ? I'm interested in their 5W20 conventional. Thanks
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:13pm
Farm Stores and others like Wal Mart will contract with OIL Manufacturers for a period of time to  supply them oil... In the past CITGO and WARREN have supplied Rural King.. Both are good oils.......... all oils should meet a "API SPEC" .... I think the latest is  SM... look at the jug and it should say SL, SN, or SM.... anything older is an out of date spec.. If it has no API sign, DONT BUY.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Jan 2021 at 8:14pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:23pm
Thanks Steve, I was surprised at the $10/5 qt jug of HK Smile.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:24pm
That circle is a little bitty thing on the back of the container.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:52pm
been buying oil at Fleet Farm and their house brand is now made by CITGO - they use to have the CITGO labeled oil on shelf also and when one looked at the API specs both met the same but house brand was 1/4 less in cost and even better when they ran specials .
  Then thinking back when I had the Western Snow Plow on my old truck my Father in Law gave me several cans of ATF he had for older Ford car (oil was Ford Spec) I used ATF in plow hydraulics and opened one of the cans to add to plow unit - it was about -10 deg out and went to pour oil into unit - it was like a string - didn't pour but was thick gummy semi-fluid - that was Target Stores house branded oil - 
  So off brands do not always meet all specifications and care is needed when buying 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:21pm
good point there Coke.

So now  am really confused.  Confused
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:35pm
When I owned my fuel business, I spent quite a bit of time in oil labs watching and participating in oil testing. Cheap oil usually just barely meets the specks for the equipment on the label. The name brand oils more than exceeded the equipment specs. The oils I sold had run millions of miles over the road and hundreds of hours in the fields during testing. If you have older equipment I'd run it. New half million dollar tractors I'd not go that route.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:52pm
 I used ATF in plow hydraulics and opened one of the cans to add to plow unit - it was about -10 deg out and went to pour oil into unit - it was like a string - didn't pour but was thick gummy semi-fluid - that was Target Stores house branded oil - 
  So off brands do not always meet all specifications and care is needed when buying

thats right... "ATF" is not a SPEC, it is a refined hydraulic oil for older transmission use... If it said MERCON or DEXTRON it would MEET THAT SPEC......another example is "HYDRAULIC FLUID" is not a spec... some may or may not meet the ALLIS SPEC of 821...( like JD 303) . You have to read the back. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:48pm
The API "small circle" rating according to bouncing jugs is "SP" on the back of the jug Wink !!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:44pm
ANY oil is better than NO oil......Wink
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

ANY oil is better than NO oil......Wink

That statement is worth it's weight in crude WinkWink !!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:46pm
I saw something on Facebook a week or so ago about a lawsuit overe "303" oil, anyone heard anything about that?

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:58pm
I thought that the "303" oil pertained to CIH ??
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

I saw something on Facebook a week or so ago about a lawsuit overe "303" oil, anyone heard anything about that?

The ambulance chasers had a add in California Farm Bureau weekly paper, wanting people join a class action suit if you bought the O'Reilly  auto parts  store brand.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:58pm
I use Oreilly’s store brand.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:53pm
wasnt the story that the original 303 was based on Whale Oil  ???   And 303 does not really meet much of any "hydraulic oil specs".... it is just "oil"...
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:56pm

The truth about 303 oil

In the 1960’s, John Deere created the 303 oil that was used as an effective, high quality tractor hydraulic fluid for anti-wear on some heavy duty equipment. However, in the 1970’s the popular John Deere product was regulated and banned due a key ingredient being sperm whale oil. Because the whales are an endangered species and the sperm whale oil was outlawed, John Deere reformulated their oils and eliminated 303.

Some distributors and retailers are allegedly using the 303 marketing when some of the oils may be damaging to vehicles and allegedly don’t meet manufacturing standards.

again, the MORAL TO THE STORY, is READ THE SPEC ON back of THE JUG !

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Jan 2021 at 9:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic