This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kewanee Equipment mfg - early history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kewanee Equipment mfg - early history
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:44am
Someone on the Equipment page looking for Kewanee elevator sprockets prompted me to look into that manufacturer’s history. I found this originally typed article that discusses the company’s 1912 origins, it’s early 1920s growth, its struggles during 1930 depression, it’s WWII era contributions, & post war farming boom til 1959. Get yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the read.

https://kewanee-history.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Machinery-and-Conveyor-History-and-Clipping.pdf
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:13am
Heres a link to Kewanee Machinery & Conveyer’s early year photos. Some interesting snap shots of their Hog Oiler, spike harrow, truck lift for dumping ear corn/grain, ear corn crib bucket leg, disk harrow, & lots of coal elevators. Compliments of the Kewanee Historicsl Society.
https://kewanee-history.com/photo-galleries/kewanee-machinery-and-conveyor/

Edited by AC7060IL - 21 Jan 2021 at 6:13am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 4:34pm
     Thanks for sharing; very interesting and neat pictures. Like that conveyor on tracks. Also the ear corn "leg type" elevator on the grainary.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 6:11pm
They had some good discs for sure
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:48pm
Yeah we always found their disks did a quite good job. Had a good dealer near by. They sold alot of them. Local John Deere salesman said he could never sell very many disc's because kewanee dealer always undercut him in price.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:27pm
It would be cool to own that cab over truck with the high lift box, I think it's a Ford, you don't see many of those around.

After reading the article I did some more research.  Looks like Kewanee got bought out by Allied and maybe Brush Hog somehow became the owner.  I guess AGCO owns it now, that would be the Allis/Gleaner company, wouldn't it?
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:13am
Back to the original post about the Kewanee elevator, we had such an elevator when I was a kid. Been trying hard to remember what brand it was. It may have been a Kewanee, but most of those I've seen were galvanized.......if memory serves, ours was a faded orange but not AC orange.

Only brands of these elevators I can find are Kewanee, Owatonna and John Deere. None look like what I remember.

We used ours a couple times to put ear corn in a snow fence crib, to put shelled corn into grain bins and to put small square bales into barn lofts. Seemed like a big job to move it, but as one tasked with putting hay in the loft without it, I saw it as a blessing from on high.

As to mention of a truck hoist, prior to installing a lift hoist on the truck itself, we had a drive on truck hoist. Raised the front wheels about 4 feet off the ground. The elevator itself has a fold down drag auger to move what came out the back of the truck over to the inclined elevator with the paddles on it.

Hoisting the truck up helped corn roll out the back but you still had a lot to shovel. Seems silly now to put a 14 year old kid in charge of driving grain trucks, but that was my job. By 16, I was running the combine and having to run the single axle grain truck too. Normal load was about 275 bu if you were taking it to town and over their scale. If local, I'd sometimes load it heavy to cut down on trips......325 bu plus and get her to squat. Got chewed on a couple times over that.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 11:14am
Mayrath, Little Giant, Cardinal , New Idea come to mind. Dad had an either faded red or orange elevator but can't think of the brand right off. Did Papec make an elevator?  Remember the double chain elevator chain broke once when unloading corn. Quite a mess by time it got shut off. Farmer a few miles from us filled 3 silos with a very long John Deere elevator. Guessing the silos were at least 45 ft. tall.
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 3:43pm
If I remember right when I was a kid we had a David Bradley elevator. Also a ground drive David Bradley manure spreader. They were faded/rusty red with green frame and wheels. Always wondered who actually made them.
Steve
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:07am
Hey modirt,
     McCurdy came to mind this morning. Think that's what ours was. Must have been a bunch of  elevator brands back then.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:24am
Had reason to visit a local Amish community a few years back, and one of the first things that stuck out was each farm seemed to have one of these elevators. Appeared to be using them for ear corn. Probably a good place to go looking for all the relics.

About 15 years ago, went to the home of a gent I needed some help from, and he was a collector of antique horse drawn farm equipment. He had 2 or 3 barns of it packed to the rafters. And many of them still in working condition. He must have had 20 or 30 different wood beam plows......and knew the history of each of them. Horse drawn drills, planters and harvesting equipment.

One of the true gems of his collection, according to him, was a piece of harvesting equipment.....seem to recall it was a corn binder......that had been manufactured in my home town. He said it was one of the best ever made.....and I'd never heard of them. Still the only time I've ever heard of them. And I"ve got a copy of a county history book that goes back to the beginning.....and no mention of them in it either.

Going back in time, we would probably be amazed to know how many little manufacturing outfits existed at the local level. Some no more than blacksmith shops that figured out how to build a better mousetrap. Either died with the owner, gave up or were bought up and consolidated. Latter been going on a long time.

Edited by modirt - 25 Jan 2021 at 8:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic