This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hooking up hydraulics on a D17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffgarc12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hooking up hydraulics on a D17
    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:04pm
I have a allis chalmers D17 with auxiliary hydraulic control and I have a John Deere 949A planter I am trying to move but I can not seem to get the hydraulics to activate I was wondering where it would hook into I have attached some pictures of the hydraulic setup on it. Ignore the hose connections this tractor was used for spraying.

Sponsored Links

jlogli View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlogli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:15pm
You must have your main hydraulic lever up on the left-hand side of the steering wheel for the valve to work
1945 WC on full steel, WD wide front, WD45 power steering, 1966 D-17IVfactory 3 point.1967 D-17IV SC. 1973 rotobaler white top. orange top roto, model 90 combine,82S, four bottom plow.302 baler.
jeffgarc12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffgarc12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:26pm
So the hydraulic lever that moves the lift arms up and down must be up? Also how would I connect a cylinder from a planter to the tractor
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:25pm
Do you have a one way or two way cylinder? One way would connect to where a line is now connected . Two way , one hose would hook same place, other would hook just behind on line that looks like it has a plug in it. Lower picture .          MACK
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffgarc12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:40am
I have both kinds of cylinders but I was told that most of the implements that we have use 1 way but I eventually will have something with a 2 way cylinder.

When I tried to hook the hose in to where there is one now I unhooked it and then tried to move the cylinder and it was doing nothing at all. The one that is already hooked in that you were talking about with all the grease on it is what I would need to plug the cylinder in?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:11am
A cylinder with two hoses has to have both hoses connected to the tractor or the cylinder will not/cannot work at all.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:42am
After looking at picture, you should hook to point on tractor. To use remote valve , there needs to be a hose from point on tractor to left side of valve.             MACK
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffgarc12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:52am
So would it go at the connection on the left where there is a hose already there or on the connection on the right where the plug is 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:36pm
If the orange hose next to finder goes into valve, it should plug into back of tractor.         MACK
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:04pm
Do you have a AC cylinder you are using on the planter? What series is your D17?
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffgarc12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:31pm
I do not know what kind of cylinder it is and the D17 is a series 1
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffgarc12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:31pm
I am pretty sure it does so where would it plug in exactly
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:02pm
If you have a Series 1 you will need a AC hydraulic cylinder that is low volume high pressure I believe. A regular JD hydraulic cylinder will be very very slow it is is set of higher volume ..Just my thoughts. I think I am right on this.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:24pm
Jeff,
This old post might help you? I hope the weblink works.

click here to see
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic