This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

250Kva Generator set ; Engine identification help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250Kva Generator set ; Engine identification help
    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:09am
Hi all ,

I am looking for some help with getting info on an engine , I have recently come across an Allis Chalmers generator set but i am not sure on the engine model as there seems to be no data plate on the engine .

I'm looking to try and get the set running again , It was used as a standby generator but had very little use and then sat for the last 35 years in a shed unit outside . 

The generator side is rated for 200Kw / 250Kva 60Hz . 

So far I have very briefly tried the starter , clicks in and out and the engine dose turn over so it seems to be free , The radiator is from what i can tell part empty and full of rust scale in the top , the sump is full the just over the high mark on the dip stick with oil . The  oil looks to be reasonable looking with no sings of water in there . + took the cover off one of the valves head 

Condition wise its dirty and very dusty , I haven't looked inside the gen head yet 

Here is a few pictures if they are any help to identify it, any other info would be much appreciated as I would love to get this back to running again if possible , I work as maintenance so it should be more than possible : ) .

Thanks . 

Edited by Dashapple555 - 15 Jan 2021 at 10:12am
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 12:14pm
200 KW is in the range of 275 HP... so thats a big motor...

I cant tell visually, but possibly a 21000  straight six ?  844 cubic inches.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 12:14pm
should be a tag on the block near where the gauge cluster is.  Looks to be a 21000 or 25000 since it has a turbo.  
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Dashapple555 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

200 KW is in the range of 275 HP... so thats a big motor...

I cant tell visually, but possibly a 21000  straight six ?  844 cubic inches.

Yeah its a straight 6 cylinder , with a turbo 

Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

should be a tag on the block near where the gauge cluster is.  Looks to be a 21000 or 25000 since it has a turbo.  

Ok thanks , I will have another look by the gauge cluster to see if there is any tags : )

Edited by Dashapple555 - 15 Jan 2021 at 12:28pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm
a 21000 motor is an 844 inch straight 6 with turbo charger.

a 25000 motor is the 844 straight 6 with turbo charger and after ( inner) cooler.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 2:00pm

a 21000 motor is an 844 inch straight 6 with turbo charger.

a 25000 motor is the 844 straight 6 with turbo charger and after ( inner) cooler.

Thankyou for the info , I will begin to look for a service manual for the 21000 engine so i can go from there in getting it operation again .

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm
that motor was used in the 21B - 21C Dozers . Might  find on old dozer manual that contains motor data.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 3:01am
Thanks , I'll have a look for that also

Is there a difference between a 21000 and 21000H ?

I'm finding manuals but they seem to mention the H and or Mk2 models

Edited by Dashapple555 - 16 Jan 2021 at 3:03am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:28am
ALLIS started with a 844 cubic inch block. They built motors out of that block for many years.. Some were called 21000 , and some were 25000 (innercooler) .... during its life, the motor had updates to bearings, pistons, horse power , marine use, generator sets, construction tractors.... all basically the same from an "operation" or "maintenance" point of view... You have to get more specific if your rebuilding and buying parts.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:41am
It's a 21000 series engine. The engine ID plate is approximately 1 3/4" x 3" on it will be the engine series (yours will show 21000), engine serial number (yours will start with 21-) and finally the engine catalog number. The tag is located on the upper LH side of the block just under where the cylinder head meets the block and is attached with ether "brass" (earlier engines) rivets or aluminum rivets with a pin in the center used to lock the rivet in place (later engines). Look just above where your gauge cluster is. There should also be another metal tag approximately 1 3/4" x 10". That plate will list all the equipment options that make up THAT particular generator set. It's located on the LH side of the block usually on the forward section of the block just above the oil pan rail and was glued on.

Edited by ACjack - 16 Jan 2021 at 5:28pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by ACjack ACjack wrote:

It's a 21000 series engine ...

Thankyou for the info . I will have a look in these locations to see if i can find anything . I have acquired a manual for it , so should be good to go 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:37am
Thanks to all those who helped , I managed to get ahold of a manual . 

Finally removed it from the outside shed , gave it a clean , checked the oil and added some clean fuel and she lives , seems to start and run quite smoothly after sitting for 25 years . 

Edited by Dashapple555 - 02 Nov 2022 at 11:38am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 5:39pm
WOW... congrats on the startup Dash...

Whacha ya gonna do with it ??
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 6:17am

WOW... congrats on the startup Dash...

Whacha ya gonna do with it ??

Thanks ^ , currently not sure what will happen to it , It would be nice to give it a good full clean and replace external items like the pipes / filters and such but the gen side hasn't been tested yet so it'll be a wait and see .

Would be nice to save this set since it seems to run well and its actual use hours are rather low i have been told as it was a standby system , On these short runs oil pressure sits at around 50-55 psi and oil is getting to the turbo after a check 

It looks like it had a water leak from the water manifold that bolts to the head under the exhaust at the end , I did check the radiator and its full of rust so the system could do with a full flush id imagine .  
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 7:32am
As a construction electrician I've wired a few emergency/back up, generators. They are installed to run when utillity power is lost, and  once a week, for a short period of time. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dashapple555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 8:00am

I have been told was hardly used initially with a few 10's of hours run on it and then left to sit for the last 25 years and forgotten about till recently when we removed it from the outside hut and started it.

Edited by Dashapple555 - 07 Nov 2022 at 7:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic