This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treadmill motor questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treadmill motor questions
    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:48am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

With as many chicken farms as there are in Arkansas you can surely get a used fan motor somewhere for a song. The 36 inch exhaust fans usually have 1/2hp, 120/240, CW/CCW, 1750 RPM motors with a 1/2" keyed shaft. Might be bigger than what you want but it's an option.

Yes and I want one of those big fans for my shop next summer.
I found the perfect motor. Small 1/19 go 1550 rpm came on a squirrel cage fan off of some appliance. The shaft is 3/8” same as the trimmer.
All mounted on a 10” long 2x6. Neat and fits in a drawer. The motor is 4” diameter and 4” long.
All free from our hvac guys at work. It’s brand new.
I googled it and they cost $ 100.00
Online.
It will be mounted and switched today. Now just waiting on the WFT trimmer.

For a shop fan you don't want one with a slant wall kit. You'll need to look at some from an old farm that shut down. A lot of the older farms had box fans attached to the wall. Slant wall fan boxes are wider at the top than the bottom so they point toward the ground more.

Thank you and that’s good information to know.
Gonna have a couple machinist questions in a bit.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:37am
Ted I can’t get your link to work.
I have the unit built now just waiting on the trimmer to arrive. Sending you a pic in a text.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 3:15am
TYler, just turn it upside down.....
Thad, I want pictures when you get it done!!

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

With as many chicken farms as there are in Arkansas you can surely get a used fan motor somewhere for a song. The 36 inch exhaust fans usually have 1/2hp, 120/240, CW/CCW, 1750 RPM motors with a 1/2" keyed shaft. Might be bigger than what you want but it's an option.

I found the perfect motor. Small 1/19 go 1550 rpm came on a squirrel cage fan off of some appliance. The shaft is 3/8” same as the trimmer.
All mounted on a 10” long 2x6. Neat and fits in a drawer. The motor is 4” diameter and 4” long.
Online.

For a shop fan you don't want one with a slant wall kit. You'll need to look at some from an old farm that shut down. A lot of the older farms had box fans attached to the wall. Slant wall fan boxes are wider at the top than the bottom so they point toward the ground more.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:50pm

Hey Wide,,,that looks like my old Craftsman 109,,,great little lathes,,!
 Thas another one of my "Projects" I kinda pushed to the side,,I got it down from rafters to clean it up for sellin and,,,,,,,you just reminded of it,,,,,Wink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:05am

Online.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:28am

Edited by thendrix - 09 Jan 2021 at 7:29am
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 9:35pm
EASY, if you use the 'controller' that was on the treadmill or a variable DC power supply.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:57pm
 Tredmill motors are torquey but I don't think they don't go 1700RPM easy.
 You can use a J6 belt on the stock pully.
 But the pully is so small.

I have one running my little old atlas lathe.
lathecoupler by vwfatmobile, on Flickr
 I kept the old controls and it has speed control and several safety features.
 I can clip the cord to my waste and if I fall down while working on my lathe it shuts off.Tongue
Don't tell OSHA or they will make that manditory.

They do make a nice DC generator if you can spin them fast enough.
You can get them up to 250 volts DC.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by KMAG KMAG wrote:

Best use of a treadmill motor setup ever.

Start at 4:41 in video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTKXVCW8HU
that was a good’en for sure.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 9:53am
Best use of a treadmill motor setup ever.

Start at 4:41 in video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTKXVCW8HU
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 9:15am

Great Idea,,Shameless,,,!!
 And,,,and,,Thad,,I've got one out of a 2 year old machine,,,,lemme check it out ,,see if it ain't growed feets,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:39pm
I’m thinking that may be the ticket would be small and quiet
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:21pm
washing machine motor?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:03pm
Joe I’m preparing a whole bunch of brass for reloading.
I’ve found a neat trimmer I want to buy. It just chucks in a drill and you can clamp the drill down and let it run.
Drills are noisy and not made to run for long periods of time.
I’m trying to find a light quiet motor that runs 1725 Rpm and s doesn’t take up much room.
Last week I turned a collar to fit an electric ice cream maker and added a drill Chuck to it. I use this for reaming primer pockets and chamfering. Wish I had 3. I ran it for several hrs straight Sat**day.
It’s way too slow for trimming but perfect for chamfering and reaming.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:30pm

Well,,,,,ole BUDDY,,,,I do remember you sayin something a week or so ago bout a project you was wantin into and needing a motor off  one of them exercise machines,,,,you gots my curiousity goin circles,,,,,WinkWink SOOoooo,,you gonna have to fess up,,,,OK,,??
 If you need some more of them motors,,I always see a lot of them exercise machines in the metal pile at the "Transfer Station",,,,,,thas what them city boys want us to call it,,,altho it depends how they act when I get there and if they gonna let me do a little "scrounging",,,else I just call it the city dump,,,,,,LOLLOL  That really pizzes em off,,,,,LOLLOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:12pm
Went to the shop for a bit. Messed with the motor. It appears noisy and bulky with all the garbage to make it work.
I think I’m gonna find an small AC motor that’s 1725 rpm and clockwise rotation.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:04pm
Ok... what I know...
usually 'free' as everyone gets rid of them once they're in great shape.... I've had 4 or 5 over the years...

'treadmill motors' are usually 90 V DC motors. As such easy to reverse ( swap red and black wires). A DPDT switch rated for 120VDC / 10A will work, just be SURE mot is NOT spinning when you change direction......oospy, POOF, lots of smoke....
hmm, could you mount the motor the other way, physically ? That changes the direction.
Without the flywheel, it'll be 'jerky' depending on the load. Check the rating on the motor, most of the ones I've played with are 3500-4500 RPM.

Always best to grab power supply and controller WITH the motor. Newer ones seem to all have the same 'controller'  and easy to modify for speed control.
LOTS of info about using them,schematics, etc. easy to find when you have part numbers....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 5:29pm
i would think if you have a cheap shroud around the fan / motor , that it would make air flow for cooling.. pushing or pulling.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 5:25pm
I have a treadmill motor o plan to use for a project. First off it needs reversed. I believe I can switch leads and make it work.
The fan will then turn the wrong direction.
It has a plastic fan on one end and a flywheel pulley on the other.
I plan to run it without the flywheel and it would need to run continuously for an hour or so at a time. Not a heavy load.
Do I need to find something different. Doesn’t have to be variable speed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic