This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner G Questions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houchens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner G Questions?
    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:57pm
What would you folks say to someone who was even remotely considering a Gleaner G?  Looked a little at one that's gas, the AC engine, both heads...

I have a couple of K's now. 

Would a fella be better off to wait around and find a nice F2/F3 for parts availability/affordability? 

Thanks.

-Andrew
8050 200 7010 185x2 D17-IV D15IIx2 D14 WD45 Deutz Allis 6260 Gleaner Kx2 Gleaner K2 Diesel 2300 discx2 600 and 333 planters 2 AC wagons several AC plows/chisels Rotobalerx2 Other Misc AC Equipment
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:59pm
Keep looking Wink
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:17pm
Parts much easier to come by for an F-2-3 over an old G.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 8:45pm
IMO a G is a great combine for its day. When steel prices hit $300 plus around my area all the old iron like that went to China as shredded steel. That said, one day I want a nice G just for fun. It was the flag ship of the silver fleet.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 9:00pm
If it had the A-C engine it must be an older one. Later ones had Chevy 350 V-8.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:26pm
i have 2 of them, not used anymore, one had the 350 engine and the other a 6 cyl engine. both were awesum combines, and alot of parts will interchange from other combines. but as said above, look for the "F" series, lots more of them out there for parts. 
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:34pm
Fans and variable speed drives - gives me bad dreams,,, if it were a diesel hydro.... might consider,, but a 50 year old G.... that's 200 in doggy years....

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:41pm
Yes I love my G but parts are hard to find.
The old girl only has to run for 4 more years then I promised to retire. I guess.
Smile
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:45pm
I'd still like a nice G someday but in a diesel hydro version only because my future son-in-law's father picked up a late model diesel hydro 105 Deere to play with. I passed on a real nice gas 301 G a few years back. It was definitely a well kept, shedded machine and it sold cheap. Someone bought it that buys anything cheap and I'm sure it's been parked in the weeds since.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:21am
A Gleaner "G" is an orphan model. Nothing on it ever evolved into a newer model. Many of its parts are unique to a G. The model F-2 by 1978 replaced it for capacity. The L and M series had nothing to share with the G in design or parts.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 11:23am
Little off topic, but remembering back to my childhood, very early 70's, there was a local guy who was one of the largest custom combiners around. Went from Texas to Canada yearly. His advertisement on the side of his pickup said: "6 brand new gleaner G diesels". I remember watching all six of them going in one field at the same time. Was in absolute awe! Darrel
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 12:04pm
The question would be are the heads available for what you want? rigid for wheat or oats? flex for beans? are you wide or 30 in row corn? 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

IMO a G is a great combine for its day. When steel prices hit $300 plus around my area all the old iron like that went to China as shredded steel. That said, one day I want a nice G just for fun. It was the flag ship of the silver fleet.
"Flagship"?? We had a pretty decent showing of Gleaners "here" from A-A2's, C-C2's, F-F2'S, and both the L&M series Wink . There "were" a few N series for a few years, but those guys quickly went Red or Green Ouch. There were never any G's "here" Shocked.
I forgot to mention the K series, there were a lot of them in the area Wink.

Edited by FREEDGUY - 04 Jan 2021 at 5:53pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:46pm
Yes Flagship
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:02pm
Should make anyone want a Gleaner
[TUBE]_ouLnet0tX8[/TUBE]
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Yes Flagship
The G's were the flagship down here as well, till the L2 came along. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:43pm
You mean until the L.Gleaner called the G their flagship which means it's largest model. Before the G, the CII was the flagship. I assume Gleaner still used the term when the L arrived. Now I see CaseIH uses that term for their biggest Series line, i.e. the New Holland based CaseIH line and then Heritage for the old platform IH Axial Flows.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 12:17am
Thinking on it Gleaner may have called the G The Giant of the Harvest and the F, for it's position of being in the class size most popular at the time carrying the designation as the Flagship.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
I meant to say L2, when the L's were new a lot of guys still ran G's, and the L's didn't go over too well in this area for the problems the early ones had, but L2s took the fields by storm. 

This video refers to the A2 being the "flagship" combine at about the 1:15 mark. J and L has another, older one, saying the same about the A. I think it had to do with popularity more than size. 

Edited by CrestonM - 07 Jan 2021 at 1:28pm
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 3:40pm
I have a Gleaner G without a motor, lots of good chains and sprockets, as well as other good parts, let me know if you need parts. 612.280.3397
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

I meant to say L2, when the L's were new a lot of guys still ran G's, and the L's didn't go over too well in this area for the problems the early ones had, but L2s took the fields by storm. 

This video refers to the A2 being the "flagship" combine at about the 1:15 mark. J and L has another, older one, saying the same about the A. I think it had to do with popularity more than size. 
Ya, I found an old sales brochure calling the AII the Flagship and the CII the Giant of the Harvest. My neighbor and once good friend of my Dad had a 1976 diesel hydro L, I think, stripe decal like the L2, and that was a very good machine for him. I'd like to find a good clean G diesel hydro for fun. Call me crazy...... call me stupid..... my wife will for sure when she finds out. Gotta keep up with the future son-in-law's dad and grandpa. They bought a 105 diesel hydro for fun recently.

Anyone know when Deere first came out with a hydro?
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:49pm
The G's Achilles heel was the variable speed ground drive on gear drive models. hollow ram pushed outward on the pulley to change sheave geometry to vary speed. Unfortunately, this is always trying to loosen the nut, and then the pulley wallered around on the tapered splines, ruining the mainshaft. Hydro equipped units eliminated this issue. this is why its a big deal to get a hydro. Gear drive isnt un-usable, just use loctite on the nut and torque it well, keep sheave lubed so it operates smooth and easy. Inspect often.

68 was the only year with a non-adjustable cleaning fan speed, has adjustable shutters to control air. 68-69 had a cab with a fiberglass rear, similar to the C2/ A2 cab. 70 was a 1 year only all steel, can ID by the rear HVAC intake duct and the metal frame side window.

Huge serial number break on numerous items in 71. 71 and 72 had a improved cab (side HVAC intake and frameless side window like all the newer models), gas engine changed from allis to 350 chevy, bigger seperator clutch (shares clutch disc with a F2) bigger fuel tank, etc.

If you are only going to do corn with it, no issue with headers, the outer hooks and throat width on a black frame corn head perfectly match the G throat. basically take a A430 or A630 setup for a F series, move hooks out, and hook it on the G. any GL or FG orange head will hook on.

If you plan on soys or wheat, only a G header will work.
I am sure Bish would make an adapter to Deere heads if you want to run a 200 series header, but Bish plates are not cheap unless you sneak up on one.
If you want to get really ambitious, I suppose you can widen a F series header throat. same style hookup, just narrower.

Keep an eye on the frame, specifically the rearmost vertical member under the engine where it welds to the lowest main beam, on 71 and older. 72 was only year with factory bracing. Usually only an issue with the factory extension and ballast to keep a 6 row cornhead down, but a rough operator can tear any of them up. cab frame deck can crack and break if a heavy operator is a rough operator too. we've only had one or two in salvage with this break so its uncommon but not impossible.

Final drives are basically bulletproof, I would even venture to claim tougher than a L/M series final, which is nearly bulletproof in its own right. I believe a variant of this final was used on the 72 L, as well as the transmission. I think the brake housing differed slightly.

Overall a nifty combine that still has its place out there, I hear they made a pretty decent grass combine, supposedly a grass seed producer in Oklahoma still runs 3 of them to bring in the grass crop. biggest capacity in corn of all the closed concave units. Pretty good in edible beans, especially a 71+ with the big clutch to fight slugs.

Good luck and have fun!
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:12am
We have a customer who has one  with a Series III head adapted, a roll out auger off a F2 and electric over hyd from a M2..  neat..
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:43am
When the D-21 was the biggest tractor, the CII was the biggest combine
When the 220 was the biggest tractor, the G was the biggest combine.
Remember our young neighbour combining corn at night with a G and the exhaust manifolds on the 350 Chevy power were cherry red. Sure did sound nice!
I bought a cherry G combine at the 2017 Nesbitt auction for $500. I needed the almost new 23.1 x 30" BFG Silvertown tires for my OneNinety. It hurt to do it but I already had two CII, AII, and 3 E's The E's were parted and replaced with a T. Also have a 301 gas from the G that was left behind to be joined with the E's. A second 6 hour trip was not going to happen. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

We have a customer who has one  with a Series III head adapted, a roll out auger off a F2 and electric over hyd from a M2..  neat..
That guy has a SERIUOS "blue pill" affiliation with that G ClapWink !!
Del View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2024 at 2:25pm
Hey guys I have a G Gleaner combine I put a new switch in and now it won't stay running when I turn the key to start it it will start but when I let the key go back it won't stay running is there a safety switch somewhere or what do u guys think
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2024 at 8:15pm
You have the switch wired up wrong.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Del View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2024 at 4:46am
I have wired it up just like the old one that was in there before and it worked any one have a wiring diagram for the switch
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 6:54am
The neighbor bought a completely reconditioned G Diesel/Hydro/AC many years ago. 6-30 cornhead and that was a corn eating machine! No way an F-2 keeping up with it in corn, it was a pretty good machine for him. 

I remember we had some walkers from a old K that he used at one point so a few parts were interchangeable. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 11:58am
The straw walkers and cleaning shoe are longer on a 1978 or newer F-2/F-3. The actual square inches of walker area and chaffer area are the same between a G and an F-2/F-3. The F-2-3 has a far better cleaning fan for cleaning and separation of the crop. Must have been many years ago this model G was being used, like when corn yields were 100 BPH. A properly adjusted F-2-3 can do as much as a G ever could in corn. Not more, but just as much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic