This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple things

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple things
    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 5:56pm
 A couple things of things that bug me.
 That thing that provides power that drives our tractors, cars, trucks, etc. is NOT an motor, it's an "INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE" or just "ENGINE". Not a motor.

The way many people use the term "American" it sounds like only a citizen of the USA in an American, NOT TRUE, any citizen of North & South America in an AMERICAN.

Sorry about that, I had to say that.
 Dusty    
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 6:35pm
hmm.. so Detroit shouldn't be called  the 'Motor city' ??Wink

yeah  dusty I'm an 'American', heck I'm a 'Native American' at that ... born here in
Canada,eh !!Tongue Course I don't get any free cheese and Ihave to have a passport to get south of the 49th..
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:16pm
Have been known forever as Motorcars
Motor and Engine are erroneously and conspicuously interchanged these days to a point does no longer matter
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:46pm

Well,,Dusty,,them two are two things that none of us will ever get resolved or even changed,,,,Wink I used to try and correct many others but they got their ways of sayin things different from most people. I have been at lots of racing events and you cannot find anybody that refers to the I-C-Engine as an ENGINE,,,,to a one they call them a "MOTOR" even the announcers do,,,,,It's just more Glamourous to call it a motorWinkWink
 As to the "American" reference,,,the only'ist people that claim that one ARE from the USA,,,like the Native Americans,,,even ole Jay here won't refer to himself as an "American Canadian" ,,,,and that's OK,,,it really is.  Just got to grin and bear it,,,,,Clap
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:57pm
While I agree with you Dusty let me ask this, do you mow or do you bush hog?
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:20pm
Do you blow you nose in a Kleenex or a tissue ?

Kleenex is the name of a COMPANY.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 1:25am
My sisters big complaint is Walmartz. Been looking for one but I don't think they're available anymore.        Leon
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:26am
I was disappointed when I bought a copy of Motortrend Magazine and it had nothing about trends in electric motors, except an article about a Tesla.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:59am
Think I’ll drink me a sodie pop and eat some pecan pie.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 7:35am
My pet peave  is calling concrete----- cement. Cement is only one component of concrete 

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:12am
Then are people buying 'Bullets', bullets are the end part not the Whole part some use the term loosely enough to include for shotguns.  And Are not part of Shotgun Shells.  Cartridges are for weapons, shells are for shotguns, shot or slugs are from shotguns and bullets from pistols or rifles.  Projectiles or cast bullets are from black powder weapons and cannon.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 11:45am
To separate them from electric motors, I always use the word ENGINE. A head scratcher for me is people  calling machines a brand name regardless of brand. To them every skid steer loader is a BOBCAT
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:24pm
And every rotary mower is a Bush Hog. The problem here is if you say rotary mower a lot of people won't know what you're talking about. Tickles me when the parts people at the dealerships say "what brand is your bush hog?"
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:43pm
Now what are you going to call electric trucks and cars the are coming out ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 1:21pm
Defined "Motor Cars"!!!
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm
Guess I'll throw them in the same basket as the refrigerator, dishwasher, and clothes washer; HOME APPLIANCES
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:57pm

Don't forget about the old Zerox Machine that was used to make a Zerox Copy.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 9:11pm
A friend used to get upset about FORDS!  That a bunch of Ford automobiles?

Up here we have Meijer grocery stores.  Everyone calls them Meijers.

Then what is the correct term for a tire and a rim that is assembled and ready to go on a car?  Tire, like spare tire?  Or does wheel cover the assembly?  Then why doesn't the steering wheel have a rim?

Then there's the whole English language,  A real cluster f*&k!
They're, there, their.

Why don't soup and four rhyme?

speaking of four, for, fore.

Why do people say ares meaning ours?

To be truthful with all of you I think the future generations are gonna fix this language for U n I!

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 11:14pm
o-k ya'll...lets re-write the dictionary...the english language just has to many words that mean the same thing or similar things!
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 7:16am
And then you have political correctness, that has changed how a lot of people speak/talk. My definition of PC is trying to pick up a t**d by the clean end.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 7:40am
Friend of mine, Tars are on cars, Tear is what they put on roads, and he will argue to no ends those ARE correct.  Tire can be used in place of tear for road tar for him.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 9:42am
Mine is mayonnaise.
Mayonnaise there’s a lot of ways of saying the same thing.
That’s why it’s manaze.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 4:12pm

Jack invited Jill out on a DATE.

They sat in the Park and each ate a DATE.

Jack asked Jill, what is your Birth DATE.

I love the FALL Season when leaves start to FALL.

Edited by Gary - 01 Jan 2021 at 4:13pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Now what are you going to call electric trucks and cars the are coming out ?
I'd say a money grab and junk are what first comes to mind.  Sure YOU are saving on gas, but it take electricity to charge them up.  And how many batteries does it take to power them?  What are batteries made of?  And YOU'RE saving money?!?!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:04pm
I'm gonna be on somebodys chit list.....nan-a-nan-a-nan-a.....
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

o-k ya'll...lets re-write the dictionary...the english language just has to many words that mean the same thing or similar things!
It's TOO many words.
To Too TWO
Hehehehe   I'm on somebodys chit list.....nan-a-nan-a-nan-a.....

John, you are correct...... a new way of spelliing,,,,,,, just for U n I
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic