This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poor mans power steering, and loader work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 10:09am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Don't shorten the forks!!!!. There never long enough .            MACK

X-2!!!
I've got a pair of 42 inchers I'd happily trade you for your 48's.
Sponsored Links

Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:56pm
If you are going to load logs without a roll cage, you might want to add a couple of bolt on "catchers" to the fork frame. Mine are 3 inch channel iron angled forward and up, so that when loading or piling, it lessens the chance of one coming over the top and rolling down the arms into your lap.
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:13am
Yes, I had thought of that as well, if you lift a log high enough, its going to roll right down the loader arms and into your lap like you said. I have an idea on that, might mock something up on the forks.

Got the braces welded in the back, should be good to go there.

Unfortunately, this project will have to go on the back burner for now. Snowstorm tomorrow, bitter cold this weekend, and we are going to start remodeling in the house, so I need every square inch of garage space. Took the WD back to Grandpa Marvins tonight, but kept the forks down here so I can fine tune on them if/when it warms back up.

Drove around a little bit, and even plowed his driveway for him. It definitely steers better once you get off the dry pavement!

What do you fellows think about putting wide tires on the steer axle? Those narrow tri ribs are going to be trouble up in the woods, and on Grandpas lawn. I've got some 15" tires off of a pickup truck, just need to find some rims.

Found some old topics on here about it. I have five bolt hubs on the WD, but of course I didn't measure them and now the tractor is 20 miles away. From what I can tell, I should go to the junkyard and look for some rims with 5 holes on a 5" circle, with a 3 3/8" center  hole.  The lug bolt holes should measure 3" from one to the next. Seems like the 3 3/8" hole is not common and may need to be machined.

Thoughts?
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:26am
Marv,
 I have been over in my own world. Was VERY refhreshing to come into your shop and see your work on the WD steering and loader. We all have our Allis cross to bear. Mine happens to be the F40 Fork lift right now. You will be able to do a lot with the WD and the loader that I wount be able to do. I would suggest you bite the bullet and get a power steering set up on the old girl too. You would love it with the work your planning to do! 
We would clean bars with the old trip loader and a WD45 with no power steering! I still remember it was terrible!
I always enjoy your fabrication work. As mentioned on 60 year old equipment you cant hurt it much, only improve it!
We need some pictures of the kitchen too. It was 4 years ago that we did ours! Just love it!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:29pm
Well, here we are, six months later. Imgur suddenly stopped working last winter, and I got so frustrated trying to post pictures here I just let it be. Tonight I logged in with a different browser, and we are back in business. Got a lot of catching up to do, we have been busy, both on and off the tractor!

Anyways, picking up where we left off, lets put some fattys on the front. I went around to several junkyards, but couldn't find any rims that were the correct bolt circle. I did however, get some sweet wheels and tires from the brother in law, they are like new and were gathering dust in the rafters in his garage.

Picked up these spacer/adapters on Amazon for $40.

My buddy machined out the inner bore to fit over the hubs.

Picked up some lug nuts, should have grabbed some aluminum polish!

Not sure if I should get THIS fancy...

The rims are dished deeper, but its made up for in the spacer, so the offset looks pretty good.

Tire OD looks about the same

I was going to dump some corn head grease in the steering gear and see if it turns any better. Looks like its plumb full of nice thick grease already. Maybe TOO thick?

Bolted the spacers on

Phew! Gonna be the talk of the neighborhood rollin up on these bad boys. Or something like that.

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:17am
looks good to me...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 11:34pm
REALLY LOOKS GOOD!!  Did the front tires slide much in the snow, like sideways?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:45am
Not too bad, but I think the weight of the loader helped. I took the loader off this spring and we worked up the food plot- when pulling a disk it really slid on the headlands. Was really missing the tri ribs then.

Edited by littlemarv - 20 Jun 2021 at 8:46am

JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 10:44am
@littlemarv; Excellent work. How did you plumb the hydraulics to the lift rams? Just 1 hose to the ram and the return on the valve plugged and gravity forces the fluid back through the valve and to the sump when lowered? Or did you have to plumb a hose from the lower circuit to the sump? Thanks.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 11:26am
I just plugged the other port. You could run the other port to return, but I would have had to do two (one for loader down and one for lift arms down). And that would have involved more fittings and plumbing, so I just let it be.

Should note: Due to low flow, if you are lifting the loader and go to tilt the forks at the same time, the loader comes back down. Not a big deal, got used to it immediately.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 6:23pm
OK, maybe Imgur isn't working. I can't upload any pictures.

Well, found another image resizing/hosting site. Lets see how long this one works.

In the doldrums of winter, I googled homemade grapple and came across this video

I know, I know, wrong color. But the idea is sound!

Took some guesses as to the measurements and away we go.

Got the measurements and ordered a cylinder from Amazon.

Found a couple of old running gears, scrounged up enough free tires to get them all rolling. Had to free up the kingpins, so I picked up a torch set this winter. It was set up for acetylene, but I switched it to propane, and went and purchased a small oxygen tank.

Man, I don't know how I made it the first 41 years without having one of these in the garage!

So there, looks pretty handy. The reason behind this whole entire project is more efficient production of firewood up at Dads. He can't handle the big stuff anymore, so it's up to me. He goes up in the woods and works on the tops, which is smaller wood for the kitchen stove, and I get to handle the bigger stuff, which gets split and goes in the basement.

We used to cut it up into blocks, then wrestle them onto the trailer, then throw them off in the yard, then pick them up and put them on the splitter, then pick them up and pile them, then pick them up and put them on the trailer, then pick them up and drop them down the chute.  Once the tree is felled, seems all you are doing is picking stuff up!

Anyways, back in April, we select cut a few more mature trees. Wound up with 15 logs, of varying lengths and thicknesses. I used the log arch to take them home last year one by one, which is a great method, albeit quite slow. By the time I got one log home through the woods in 1st gear, each turn took almost an hour.

I've been chomping at the bit to get them out, but its just been too wet. Finally got a little dry spell, so was able to get back to work.

Went up and hauled all the logs out to a clearing, where its fairly level.

Some of the bigger ones I cut shorter, cause I knew they would be heavy.

This one was 16'

You can't tell in the picture, but this one was so big I wasn't even going to try it with the loader, just saved him for last and took him home with me.

If you can pardon the shoddy cinematography...

Well, here goes nothing...

Boy, does this work slick. I set two or three on the bottom, then set some stringers across so I can get my forks under them.

Didn't take long to get a load of 10 logs of varying sizes.

Take them home, to be unloaded an cut up in the yard. Holding them up in the air to saw them into blocks is awesome- no more bending over to cut, and you can hold it with the grapple.

Up to the clearing again after supper to get the rest.

That's hauling them all home and cutting them up in a little over 4 hours.

It was a pretty easy winter, so Pa doesn't need a whole lot of wood this year. But if we ever need some high production, I think we've really got something here. Now all we need is a rear mounted hydraulic crane, to effortlessly lift the blocks onto the splitter. Hmmmmmm....

Thanks for looking.

Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:18pm
Nicely done! Simple and easy to take on and off too. If you keep adding you are going to have to plumb in more valves....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:42pm
While all this logging nonsense was going on, Pa sprung something else on me. He nonchalantly mentioned that the south fenceline needed to be brushed out.

Well, might as well get after that little project, before it gets any hotter. Went up and started cutting and hacking at the overgrown fence line.

Borrowed some fork extensions

And enlisted some "kid power" for this one. I cut the brush, and they stack it on the forks. You can't tell it, but there is a WD back there.

Hauled away pile after pile and dumped it in the woods. It would have taken days for us to do this by hand.

I think the dog is the smartest one of the bunch. He supervises from the shade.

That worn out trip bucket loader is really starting to be a pretty good purchase.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 10:50pm
WOW!!!  Progress, ingenuity, some prayers, some money and and a GREAT HEAD!!  Your thinker is working just great. Clap

The kids are getting SO BIG!! Thumbs Up Heart

"Now all we need is a rear mounted hydraulic crane, to effortlessly lift the blocks onto the splitter. Hmmmmmm...."

Here we go.......  and yes, the dog is the smartest one.  I know that from experience too.  Remind me to come up when it's raining and too wet to go out doing ANY kind of work...LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 6:46am
I'm sure you already know this, but... Great Job!

That all came together very nicely for ya, I really like the grapple addition and wagon train for efficiency!

How'd it feel with the fork extensions on?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 9:06am
More product per cycle, that's the goal. Running back and forth hauling it out is what sucks up the time.

I guess it didn't feel any different with the extensions on, but the brush wasn't too heavy.

I will say this, I think any gains from putting the kingpin bearings in were negated by putting the fat front tires on. Still steers harder than I'd like, but it's manageable. Someday I'll take the front end apart and rebuild it. I really wonder if there is a rough bearing or race in there. I think the thing should steer easier, loader on or off.

Edited by littlemarv - 22 Jun 2021 at 9:06am

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 2:03pm
Two words; CHAR-LYNN!!!!!
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 11:59pm
Glad to hear it worked well!

My 17 steers harder than I'd like and it's pretty sloppy. I'll be going through it one of these days and probably doing a fair amount of welding and grinding to bring everything back. Dr. And a few others have laid out what's needed for P.S.... I think I'm gonna hold out for another that already has it and hope it's in good enough shape to bring home. Maybe move my loader over and keep my current as a pulling machine - mowers, trailers and sleds :). A guy can dream, right?!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:21pm
Well, I think this may be the last piece of the puzzle for firewood production. I built this out of mostly scrap.

I think we've got a pretty good system here. I can sneak in just about anywhere with the log arch and bring out logs. We have gone so far as to hook it to the front of the gator and push it deep into the woods where its just about impossible to back into, then back the gator out and back the B in to bring out some tough ones. We have established a clearing on each end of the woods, where I can load them onto wagons and bring more home faster, with less wear and tear on the trails. I can hold them up for cutting into blocks, which is way easier on the ol' spine. Then, we can effortlessly lift them onto the splitter. From there on out my dad can manage the blocks, which is the whole point of all this tomfoolery, so the old man can make fire wood by himself.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:58pm
You needs a club, to beat the hooks into that hard wood.  I suggest a dogwood sapling, pulled from the ground, use the stump, as the hammer end...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:19pm
Agreed! That's a tough old elm from the edge of the woods, that wood is denser than the trees from in the woods, that's for sure. Thinking I need to store a dead blow hammer in that crane just for that purpose.

JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:27pm
@littlemarv; I don't know if I'm more impressed by your resourcefulness or your determination. Either way, well done.
CalvikJnso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalvikJnso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 1:54am
That's very smart of you to make a tool like this, saved a lot of money. Some people will never even think about it, but that's very cool. This reminds me of my grandfather, he always used to invent different kinds of stuff which will make the work easier. Nowadays is totally different. I have an amazing electric skid which I got from heming-engineering.co.uk, all the work now takes so much less time, it's unbelievable how I could live without such a thing before.

Edited by CalvikJnso - 22 Feb 2022 at 2:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic