This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6B 6000 engine parts availability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pirlbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6B 6000 engine parts availability
    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 8:46am
I have a 6000 engine out of a HD6B that has a bunch of metal in the pan. Have not torn it down yet, but some of it it pretty long slivers of bearing material, so thinking it may be from the crankshaft thrust bearing or ???. According to the owner, the engine was running fine with no knocks or noises, the problem was discovered when they went to change oil and they noticed the oil pump screen full of junk. Anyway, from a search on here it appears that in the past many engine rebuild parts are NLA, is that still correct or has something changed for the better? Anyone find a source?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:07pm
I stopped looking for on the 344 in my 7G, Unobtanium.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:33pm
Have been told rebuild kits no longer available. There will be NOS stuff laying around, but where is anyones guess. A number of HD6B's down here were repowered with Detroit 371 in bygone years. It's starting to look like that was a wise move with the parts situation now for Allis engines.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:59pm
These parts are available the 6000,10000,110000 are interchangable exept 2 more pistons
pirlbeck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pirlbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 7:57am
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

These parts are available the 6000,10000,110000 are interchangable exept 2 more pistons

So the 6000, 10000 & 110000 all would take the same sleeve and piston and bearings, other then the quantity  of the parts. Are 6000 series head gasket still available from anyone?

My "go to" engine supplier only showed some undersized bearings listed and he wasn't sure if they were even available.

Thanks!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 12:19pm
I have never needed them but Olson Gaskets in Washington state , advertizes they make gaskets for about anything.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 1:41pm
MINN PAR should have the gaskets too
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:22pm
If you can find a used late model engine, they have a heavier bottom end than the early engines. I've had the counter balance shafts go out of the early engines but never had any trouble with the later engines. Good luck. They are a fun machine to operate.
kblackav8or View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:08pm
I am in the same boat.  I seem to be getting water in the pan.  I think I may need liners/o-rings.  I guess it is also possible I could have a badly cracked head or something.  Difference is, I have the turbocharged 7000 engine instead of the 6000.  Mine has the HD-6AG engine.  Same deal on liners and stuff?  I think Napa lists the head gasket sets. 
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 10:37am
Parts are getting harder and harder to find for these.  I'm currently "collecting" for an A-C 11000 MK2 and here is what I've found:
Gaskets are readily available through Minnpar or Reliance
Some head/valve parts available from above suppliers
Clevite still has rod bearings available
No stock anywhere on standard mains- only can find ones for ground cranks
Piston rings unavailable- have to look for NOS stuff
I'm working on getting new liners, will post if that works out.
Liner o-rings are available through Minnpar and Agco Parts 
Minnpar has water pumps (same for 344 and 516 cubic inch engines)

I've had good success searching part numbers on Marketbook (Machinery Trader in US) and Ebay.  It helps if you know both the A-C and the aftermarket part numbers.

kblackav8or View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 11:39pm
Starting to think a 3/71 Detroit might be in it's future if I can't keep the oil and water separated.  Supposedly the Army used the same engine in lots of GENSET's. 
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 10:13am
There's a very dead HD-11 not far from me that I have yet to make the guy an offer on - I was pretty well scared off by the lack of available parts for the engine. The Detroits sure have much better parts availability and I know guys have repowered the dozers with AC engines to Detroits, so that was an option I was considering in my situation as well if I ended up with the dozer. Obviously it's still plenty of work to go that route.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 9:12pm
The Detroits really don't interest me- I've stared at an 8.3 Cummins and thought about that option though.  I think another good one for an HD11 would be the 670 (or 3500) Allis Engine- there are lots of those around, they are cheap, and parts availability is pretty good.  Pretty sure the bell housing and flywheel would mate up- there was a Military HD11 designed with that engine in the late '60s.  An HD6 would be a little trickier.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic