This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Borg Warner Power Shift Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg Warner Power Shift Transmission
    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 5:31pm
W.G.Ident # 10-01-0001.   S/N 10146M   Cat.# 4821502. In a Allis Chalmers forklift. Does any one know any thing about these transmissions? Mine is getting a lot of air bubbles in the fluid when the engine is running. Seems to have a loss of power.
Thanks
Ed
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 7:29pm
kinda obvious question but....
did you check the oil level ??
I added 3L of oil to mine after it wouldn't go into fwd one day.... Also found out it has a high-net-low tranny lever (someone had bodged....)
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 9:27pm
Oil level is right at the full mark with it running. Goes into forward and reverse, just doesn't move as strong as it used to. A little concerned about the air bubbles. I know it has a fresh external filter. Does it also have an internal filter?  Where is the high-net-low lever?
Thanks
Ed
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:43am
It sounds like it may be drawing some air from the pickup point to the pump. Bigger Allison transmissions used to sometimes develop a crack in the pick-up tube. The result is that you don't get proper pressure when air is in the mix... just a thought? 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:59pm
How do you access the pickuo tube? Pull the valve block that is on the top of the transmission.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 5:06pm
hmm external filter.... maybe snug the fittings just a wee bit more ?? It might be pulling air in from there ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:15pm
I will just run this by... one time I added a good percentage of oil to the hydraulic system on a Case backhoe I used to own. After running 'til the system was warmed up, too much foam formed in the oil and the hydraulics would start having jerky movements. It turned out that the oil I had added was far from 'non-foaming'. On the next cold start up it would be normal again as the air had dissipated. In all likelihood you have the right oil but my experience came to mind because of the 'air mix'. 
Any pick up tube etc would be deep inside the casing of the B W fwd reverser. I do believe you can remove a plug (lower back end I think) and pull out a long screen where the oil gets picked up at the bottom but really no other access from outside that I'm aware of. I did have an A-C backhoe with a B W fwd rev. and it wouldn't work at all after the machine sat for 7 years. My mechanic did a thorough oil flush of the unit and it came back to full function.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:56pm
Did a drain and refill on the trans. Pulled the round screen in the bottom of it out and cleaned it. Had a few crumbs in it, not much. Still getting bubbles in her.
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:24pm
foam is from wrong fluid or contamination 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:28pm
Ed,
 Thanks for the warning!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 9:26pm
if you over fill a Werner Gear (WG) shuttle.  it will also foam, slip and make lots of heat. . All your valves are on the high pressure side, so they can not take in air. The filter gasket might take in air. My experience with any oils foaming. Has been, heat, mixed fluids, water or suto cavation. This is where the suction gets plugged, and it pulls the air out of suspension. Most of the time this is from a plugged suction filter. Do you have a front pump seal leaking. Where  ever the air is coming in, it will leak when shut down. Also check the breather make sure it isn't plugged. There isn't much to this shuttle . but it is had to find parts for. 
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:09am
I've had the filter out of out if it ,so I know that is not plugged. Did not see a gasket at the filter? Don't have any external leaks. Will check the vent. Thanks for the input.
Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic