This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

271 Detroit Diesel rebuild failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 12:14pm
A couple of my high school classmates decided to get into the trucking business a few years out of school.  They bought a KW cabover and got a contract to haul meat to Chicago.  Made several runs then decided they should service the truck.  Changed the oil, etc. it wouldn't start.  I should mention it had a DD 8V71 and an air starter.  They hooked an air compressor to it and kept spinning it over, wouldn't start even with either.  Finally discovered, after a couple days messing with it, the the air door had tripped.  Put it back in open position and it fired right up.  The ran for another month or so then went off the highway in a construction zone, that was the end of FBN (Fly by night), trucking.  One of the guys went to medical school and just retired as a surgeon.  the other sold his rafting business and retired to the Oregon coast.  
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 12:41pm
Has several friends running 4-71 in single axle GMC  trucks in late 50's early 60's from here to Chicago. One would fill up at station where i worked with heating oil at 12 cents a gallon and had another station near Chicago they would fill at for same price , said that one was hard to fuel at as had to drive over outside service rack to get to pump.
 The pump at the station i worked at had a short hose that just was long enough to fill a 5 gallon can set at it's base , so to fuel truck had to almost park on top of pump , then turn around and drive up to pump to fill saddle tank .
 One fellow bought a 1954 White single axle with a 4-71 and had the governor shimmed so he got about 3,000 RPM  from engine - had to cut stack off to clear reefed units on trailer so he could turn , thing would belch flames from stack at times when wound up to high RPM . 
 Ended up in one trip the crank broke in center main bearing - he still drove it over 100 miles to get home - said he wondered why oil pressure was low and it didn't seem to have the power it usually had .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by WaltDevore WaltDevore wrote:

The spring that attaches to the shut off levers broke when I first removed it.  I didn't replace it, thinking as long as the shut off control was pushed forward temporarily that it would be the same as the spring.  Maybe I'm so dumb about that.  I will replace it now of course.  Could it be that simple? Oh my God!
Im having trouble understanding what you are referring to here. The spring on rack control tube? It is for opening rack when stop is off. I think there's a lot of things you are unaware of on the how and why on a Detroit. Injector height(timing) is not easy for a first timer. It's tricky enough when you know what you're doing.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:46pm
To set injector timing - you first need a timing gauge that fits into a small hole in top of injector body ( it can be done with a dial caliper ) but the timing gauge gives you the height of the injector plunger , 
 Then you need to set the rack - the rod and adjustment of the slide on side of injectors as these must be equal travel on both injectors (HV 7) invertors . 
 As it sounds you have NO COMPRESSION so either the air damper is closed or your air cleaner is totally blocked and no air is coming through the oil bath air cleaner . I have serviced on 2-71 where the oil cup was solid dirt all the way up into media - it ran but after setting a few month would not start - oil and dirt had settled down and blocked all air from going thorough the media as the dirt that was there ran down with oil and formed a solid lump at base of filter . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:17pm
Coke,you make that timing guage sound awful simple. First one I did I read the book and applied what I learned. It ran but was a dog. Got a mechanic from a truck shop to come over and watched him. AHHH now I get it! It ran strong after he got done with it. AD40 grader and would walk the hills a gear higher.
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:45pm
No I didn't.  I made another assumption that for the price of the liners they would be just right.  The valves weren't  touched but the head was done.  Wonder if they could that far out from the valve job.  I'll get to it.  All the suggestions are right on.  The good weather is about to disappear, don't know when my next window will be.  The suspense is really something.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:53pm
Amazingly I still have my Snap On injector timer.  I'll finally get to use it again.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:56pm
I did completely clean the air cleaner oil bowl. There is a little poofing in the blue container over the exhaust pipe.  Didn't show on video.  At least a little air is going through.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 12:01am
It was the spring that pulls the throttle control back.  50 bucks for that.  I may have found one on Amazon.

Like the other gentleman said I wonder if finally getting diesel into the cylinders will seal it up more.  If I ever get this running, I'll know how and never do it again.  Just like everything else in my life.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 12:40am
Thank you for the links.  185 on the head bolts pretty hefty.  My torque wrench only went to 150, then I used a cheater pipe on  a breaker bar for a little bit more.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:32pm
If the head was done and you did not readjust the valves the most certainly staying open. They would have ground the valves and seats thus making the stem stick up higher taking away any clearance that was there. Readjust everything and retry. Also make sure the fitting in the back of the head has the restrictor in it if it was replaced. If not no fuel back pressure and no pressure to the injectors. Low liner height may come back to haunt you in the long run if you don’t fix it.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 8:21pm
Thanks, that makes a ton of sense.  I'll be installing a new fuel pump too.  The parts guy said if no shims were installed before, there shouldn't  need to have any now. I bought everything from Powerlinecomponents.com.  I'm waiting for the next warm up.  Too cold and windy at 9,000 feet west of Denver.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic