This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traction boostr learning curve, WD45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 3:59pm
Years ago when we were kids we would ride our bike around and visit the neighbor kids.  One day Dad was plowing with a D-17 demonstrator.  The neighbor kid (Oliver family) came over and asked me how big a plow is behind that little tractor, when I said 4 bottoms he did not have anything to say.
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 4:27pm
We ran a WD and a series 2 D17. The '17 had a "graduated" lever UNDER the main hydraulic lever Embarrassed . Was there a separate lever for TB on the WD series ??
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 4:38pm
No.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 4:44pm
Thank's Doc. Can you refresh my memory on how the TB was actuated  on the WD ??
I was only 7 when I ran the WD, did the '14,15's have the same quadrant as the '17's ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 24 Oct 2021 at 4:53pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 5:01pm
D-14-15-17-19 all the same operation with a separate short notched tooth lever on the steering column. CA-WD-WD45's all had to have the hydraulic pump configured (screws A-B-C and D) for Traction Booster operation and used the one and only Lift-Lower lever to make the TBoost system function.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:23pm
Did the D series have a delayed lift/drop from the rear hydraulic remote that could be timed from the lift arms? I always thought that to be pretty slick engineering of the 50’s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:47pm
WD/WD45 had the front of the cultivator drop first and then when you pulled the lift/lower lever clear down, the lift arms dropped the scratcher. D-series didn't have it that way.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 6:52am
Got out to another plow-day Saturday. As discussed in this thread; https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/need-a-part-p-n-wd45_topic184299.html
I plowed with the wide front 45 having the spring installed. Could not detect any difference in performance, good or bad. Traction Booster still did it's job nicely.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 1:29pm
Another update, kind-of. After running the sub-soiler with the nf 45 I decided to take a shim out of it. I put it in the Wide front as I think I took out a bit much last year, time will tell. Probably own't get a chance to test it out until next year. I just keep trying to fine-tune things.
JLS retired View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLS retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:58pm
Must be nice to have uniform soils. 27 acre field next to grandpa's garden ran from sand at the bottom to black bottom to blue clay to red clay to wind blown loam at the top of the hill. Filled left front tire so as the traction booster worked the front furrow tire would ride up in the air and we could set the traction booster lighter or deeper to use "all the tractor" When set right the furrow tire would just touch the dirt with the ribs and the plow would work as deep as the tractor would work.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 5:40pm
For best Traction Booster results, there must be enough front end weight to keep the nose down, so the rear tires can fully benefit from the weight transfer.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:53am
The next chapter in this story just came home Saturday. Learning to use the traction booster with the CA shouldn't be too hard. Will have to get the book out, I assume it is similar to how WD's work. It would be nice to have a set of engine side weights for it but I'm not holding my breathe! Have lots of 1/2X4" flat stock, may make some brackets to hang some weights on using the side weight mounting holes. Also would like to have a working gauge.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:48am
Mike - read your "CAx2" thread. Are you saying that the TB gauge on the "new" CA isn't working? Seems to me that I recently read a thread on here that described differences in the TB system in the CA vs WD45, mostly to do with set up and triggering it....but maybe I'm making that up.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:06am
Dave, you made me dig out the op. manual. It reads like you engage it just like a WD/45. I don't remember that thread you mention. Looking forward to plowing with this thing! Some of the plow-days I go to are a ways away, be nice to have a tractor/plow that is a little lighter than the 45! Though I really love plowing with that thing!
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:39am
Ha! See Dr Allis's Oct 24, 2021 posts in this thread. Start with the one at 6:01pm. The differences I'm recalling were between the D series and the CA-WD-WD45 series, not the CA vs WD45. Sorry to send you on a useless chase!

I'm working on rehabbing a 3-14 plow for my WD45, mostly because I'd like to hear that machine really digging in to do some work. Smile Not much call for that around my 2.7 acres in MA! Fortunately I have a neighbor who is still farming - he lets me bring my tractors over to his place to try them out.

I envy you all out in the midwest where land is flat and not stuffed with rocks - a plow day in New England is a mighty rare event.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 2:09pm
Dave, I remember the D-series part of the discussion.

Good luck with the 3-14's. My two best plows for the 45's are both 3-16's, feel at a bit of a disadvantage when guys show up with a 706 or a JD G and 3-14's. I have a model 63 3-14's in the shed, may dig it out along with the 62 2-14's next spring. Think they both have pretty good wear parts on them and the adjustments are free.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic