This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home heating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home heating
    Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:07am
Turned our heater on for the first time this season . It was 65 degrees when I got up . 32 outside now .
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:13am
dang, 32 ! that's gotta be k-k-k-k-cold for SC ..
it's a balmy 34.4750*F here.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:16am
Ours has been on and off a few cycles the last two weeks.  Had a spell of hard frosts where swapped shop over to heat and left it.  Got into 60s and a few days of comfort are still coming but night drops are to the high 20s so heat stays ON now.  

Wish we had installed the PEX and heat boiler outside, seems a waste to rely on electric for the Ground Source Heat Pump system.  Insurance told us Quite a Step UP in costs to even have a stand alone wood burner inside, I do however like a Nice coaling fire to see and feel.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:27am
We have been in the low thirties last few nights, as winter is teasing us. We have had the propane on in the house for several weeks. Set it around 70F. These high efficiency furnaces are not to get you warm quickly. Eventually they warm up the house. But Like DMiller I still like heat to back up against and get warm quickly. Our insurance guy was not happy when I mentioned a wood stove in the shop either. I do not have one in there. I sure hope I can get some use out of this PEX in the floor this season. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:50am
I have an older forced air furnace, that is set up for L.P. Hasn't been used for a few years. It's in good shape. Could be set up for fuel oil. 
If anyone is interested I would like to part with it.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:07am
Just turned the heat on for the first time this season last night. It only dropped to 37* early this morning. Farm house has no central heat, just electric baseboard heaters that don't heat worth a crap unless they are left on all the time, but that Fisher Papa Bear wood burner will take care of business in short order.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 9:13pm
sposed to be in or near the 70's all this week here
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 9:48pm

Yowzzzaaaaa,,,heat wave,,,,,for the corn Huskers,,,,,!!!!!

We been right at where I like it all last week and so far this week as well,,,,,overnite lows in the hi 30's and day times in the mid 60's is my kind of weather,,,,ClapClap
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:05pm
It's 69 here today and supposed to be 65 tomorrow and between 65 and 70 clear there yill next Wednesday. I always turn my boiler for the floor heat on Oct. 1 while the cement is still warm it's cheaper to keep the cement warm than it is to have to warm it up so you get heat out of it/
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm
furance is blasting away here.... wonder if the OPEN window has something to do with that ???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 4:14pm
We installed a GeoThermal unit about 5 years ago. I have a oil fire hot water boiler that is in the house that would be nice for someone's shop heat. Make a fair offer and help me get it out of the basement. It is at least a  100,000 BTU unit.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 5:24pm
That 'automatic heat' is real nice.  Seven decades ago we had a wood stove in the main room (kitchen, living room, dining room, radio room) that was our only heat source.  Every night after school I wheeled firewood from a 15' tall woodpile and placed it on the ground outside a window in the main room (in a big stack hopefully big enough for the next 24 hours. To add more wood to the stove, open the window, grab a few pieces of wood, shut the window and put the wood in the stove. My sister and I each took a wrapped, old heated grindstone wheel to bed to help warm the bed (and our toes). That was the only heat in my bedroom, which was above the main room. Few homes were insulated then. A couple times most every winter there would be small frost particles inside the widows if we had a blowing snow during the night. Sometimes mornings I would take todays clothes with me and warm them in the main room before dressing for the day. I was in high school, ~1945, when Dad upgraded to a kerosene heating stove; which was in use until they retired, sold the farm, and moved to town in 1968. This was central KS.  Herb(GA)
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 6:26pm
Herb, that is similar to the heat we had when I was growing up. Had so many quilts on the bed that I couldn't even turn over. First house my bride and I owned had only electric wall heaters until I had a Franklin stove put in. That thing came in real handy when we had an ice storm and lost power for 4 days. Old Ben knew what he was doing when he designed that stove.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 9:31am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

furance is blasting away here.... wonder if the OPEN window has something to do with that ???

Wink  Funny how that works.LOL

Father in law put in a pellet stove to supplement the electric heat in there home. He past and my kids (all college aged) helped grandma with pellets. They could not get time to get her a supply so I am put in charge. I bought cheap pellets from a chain store. Got told no good pellets you got me they will not make any heat.Confused   She was warm again when her open window in laundry room got closed.LOL So you gave me a good laugh, thanks. LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Ray54 - 05 Nov 2020 at 9:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic