This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sidehill combine raddle chain.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sidehill combine raddle chain.
    Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 1:02pm
looking for pictures.

Need to buy one for my gleaner k from Manchester or make my own with existing raddle chain. Thanks cory
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:02pm
Do you mean - “hillside blower?” It is a belt driven blower mounted outside rear right side of machines and by the use of a gravity pendulum, it’s air is directed to downhill side of chaffer thus blowing the grain uphill into the middle of chaffer.

Edited by AC7060IL - 02 Nov 2020 at 8:08pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
Hillside raddle it is - Oops, my bad. After I posted, I looked up the hillside raddle on Manchester. Here’s the link, if others like me are out of the know....

http://www.manchestermfg.com/hillside.html

Edited by AC7060IL - 02 Nov 2020 at 11:42pm
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
save the $, on a side hill the DROP from the raddle to the shoe is where the side shoe loss occurs due to over loading. We did test and even on severe slopes grain moved very little from the front to the back of the raddle ..  remove the metal curtain from above the raddle - install a 25 or 30 tooth sprocket on the lh side of the cylinder to speed up the thresher beater - this will control the loss to the walker.  We fabricated a front walker extension on the outside walkers at a 45 degree angle on the outside two  and slid them forward.  this grabbed the grain and tossed it to the middle somewhat.  There are also chaffer levelers available also -or were - that bolt on the shoe just above the chaffer and flipped grain to the middle - of course the air flow grain savers were very helpful as well. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:44pm
Grain don't land on raddle much until  it is at least half way to back.        MACK
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:50am
I bought a Manchester for my Deere 95 and was disappointed. He has a good idea but he does not add neat enough of the little teeth to catch the corn. If you would look at a factory Deere it his finger every 1 inch across the chain. On my Deere 95 and 105 they also used a tall divider on the top seive (or is the chaffer the top one?). It divided it into 4 sections on the 95 (40 inch cylinder) and 5 sections on the 105 (50 inch cylinder). Tom
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 12:17pm
Good to know Tim...I've bought 2 over the years and wasted a few $ it sounds...and my ground is flat LOL
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:53pm
The wider and longer the combine, the more a side slope affects the percentage loss of harvesting/separating output or BPHr.  My fight has always been in corn, the highest BPH crop. It all begins at the throat in the corn head sump. The ears collect in the lowest part (sidehill) of the sump and go thru the cylinder on the low side. It continues on with the raddle(raddles L & M) and then the walkers and cleaning shoe. The longer and wider the machine, the more capacity her hr is lost because of this side slope. The problem all starts at the front.  I begin at the cylinder by changing cylinder bar installation so the "V" is upside down when looking in thru the top of the throat. Some machines I do 6 bars like this and some machines I do all 8 cylinder bars. It has absolutely no affect on threshing. What it does is throws all this material from the low side of the throat to the high side of the raddle area, which is what you want !! This material still wants to seek the low side of the combine as it travels to the rear, but at least at this point much of it has been moved to the high side. I always removed the metal curtain above the raddle. I have also fabricated some deflectors to go above the raddle like hay conditioner windrow shields to funnel more material to the center of the machine, again, keeping it away from the low side. Chaffer blade levelers help as does the air-flow grain saver attachment. Every customer is different, but it was pretty common that I could increase capacity by 100% or more on many machines. When you go from 1 MPH to 2 or 2.5 MPH you created a happy Gleaner combine owner.
bleeds orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:27pm
thanks guys. I will start with these tricks first tbran and dr.allis. not sure about the steel curtain above raddle chain maybe mine is gone already.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:09pm
I did locate the curtain above raddle and removed it.

The sprocket for thresher beater is an 18 tooth as we speak.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 5:50pm
tbran and dr.allis I did what you guys suggested and it made a huge difference, pretty much no corn lost over shoe on sidehill.

Thanks cory
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 5:56pm
one other remaining problem is still with the raddle chain.

It seems like cobs are getting caught on return side and binding up raddle chain and making the clutch slip for raddle chain.   Driving me nuts have to stop alot and shut separator off and get going again.   Thinking of bolting old elevator belting across opening on bottom of return opening by walkers to remedy this problem. Not even sure that's it. Chain is at proper tension and not out of alignment.

Thanks cory
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:46pm
Walkers should be 2 inches back from being slid clear forward. Raddle chain could be a little looser, regardless of what you think. Raddle slip clutch could have a roll pin partially sheared on the rear hub. Raddle slip clutch shouldn't be greased. Raddle slip clutch could be made tighter with more spring pressure.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleeds orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 12:59am
Ok thanks will check raddle clutch out/chain.

Thanks cory
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 6:55am
And walker position.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic