This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 inn shed find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 inn shed find
    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:08pm
Actually I didn't find it as much as inquired about it. My Dad bought this tractor for a landlord at auction in 1963 . It is a 1954 model WD45 . The landlord told Dad that since he lived in Detroit, Michigan and we were in Clay City, Indiana area as was the landlords farm that Dad rented to use it as if it was ours.
We pulled a 3-14"  pull type IH plow with it . Fluid and 2 sets of wheel weights with drawbar up a notch and got along just as good as our 45"s with snap coupler plows .
Well I went to see his son [who was on the farm for a week from Detroit]about if it was still around and it has been sitting in his shed for 35 years not having moved or ran at all . Right tire flat , left still up and fronts good . 2 sets wheel weights still with it and it has allis power steering that Dad put on it and 12 volt alternator system . I painted it in shop class in 1966 and it still has the cream weights and wheels and front screen but all is rusty . The son said he was told it was parked because of a cracked block . I had no crank to check if motor is locked up but 99% sure it is !
Needs lots of work but I'm looking for a project and this one I plowed and disced with a lot of hours as a teenager so some sentimental feelings on it . I want to offer him a fair price but i feel scrap price would be fair . How much is that ? 

Edited by D14JIM14 - 25 Oct 2020 at 3:10pm
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:17pm
Well Jim, it would be a great project. Motor parts are very available, but some other parts are more difficult to find but not impossible. It can get fairly pricey to bring one all the back, but if that is not a problem go for it. Around here tractors in the condition you describe will run from 350-500 dollars.     Leon
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:45pm
Could be worth $1000 if you really truly want it. Yes it can take a good pile to bring them around to looking fresh! BTDT
Regards,
Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:25pm
Sounds like you will need one if not both rear rims, and at least tubes.  Maybe tires.  All of that can add up fast, more than 2k.  If you gotta do the engine you might as well look for a D17 engine to put in it.  Probably brakes.  I'm thinking offer $500 and go from there.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:19pm
The block may or may not be bad but for as long as it's set and shape it's in I would not give over $500. If he were trying to sell it he'd be lucky to get $250. It's a parts tractor. My 45 set a long time somewhere in it's life. I got it around 82 and everything above the gear oil level in the trans and rear was rust pitted
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:42pm
Just to give an idea, I paid $300 for a no running WD 2 years ago. Tractor had not been run since 2004. Luckily it had just had fresh fluids changed and the fuel drained before being parked. It was not locked up but I had no idea if it would run. Good tires front and rear although fluid rotted left rear rim at the valve. Removed the tire and a good friend cut out the rot and fixed it for me. $400 later I have a good running WD. Points, condenser, plug wires, carb rebuild, battery, oil, filter, and a few other small parts. I got off very inexpensive but you can tie up more in them than they are worth. But sentimental reasons seam to make it easier to spend more.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:55pm
If the current owner scrapped it (literal scrap value), you are looking at about $100/ton, depending on the recycler.  So, about $200 for a WD45.  Less for pickup, or if the tires aren't removed.

I agree with offering more though.  It hasn't been scrapped yet for a reason.

Ben
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
jon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:19pm
What is the value of two sets of rear weights and factory power steering? That could be the price to offer.
D14JIM14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:23am
Thanks for all the advice !!! I will be down at the home place tomorrow which is just across the road from his and I'll make a stab at it .
The son is not ever going to fix it and his Dad has been dead 15 years or more so he acted like just make an offer .
Has a white top roto baler too also always shaded . I
Do not want it at all !
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 1:16pm
For some reason I've been to auctions where a running WD or WD45 grabs only a little more for a half scrapped, parts missing WD45. I bought a running 1953 WD curve stick years ago for $700 or $750 and right next to it set a WD45, cover off the transmission, no engine, radiator laid next to it, the crank was used to block the rear wheel and a fire had melted the throttle quadrant and burned out the gas tank. That thing brought either $425 or $450. I felt pretty good about my running 1953 WD at that sale.

Today around me $300 to $500 in the shape you described and stuck engine. Not much more for a loose engine. But if they want a couple hundred more for it, consider the sentimental value, the fun you'll have bringing it back, skip a few nights out dinning if you dine out and get yourself a project. Go for it and good luck.

-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 2:03pm
Bottom line D14, weights are worth couple hundred bucks, the PS, if is working and all there, can go $300-600 or more,(they usually do not last long when they come up for sale) if you parted it out. That, plus scrap weight for the rest is the actual value. HOWEVER, there is a big difference between actual value, and what it may be worth to you! I, and probably most on here, completely get the personal connection. So, know what your limits are, make an offer, the counter offer if necessary, but stick to your preset limits..... If/when you reach that, walk away and don't look back!!! it's not worth financial ruin, in any case.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Edited by LouSWPA - 26 Oct 2020 at 2:06pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
D14JIM14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:59pm
I have never kept one long after fixing it mechanically . D17 and D14 . 14 didn't need much . 17 was a lot of work but I liked it . I didn't paint either one of them .
I have a few thou$'s set back and wife isn't complaining so we'll see what he will sell it for .
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:57am
The power steering is a gamble. I have seen several that are cracked due to water and freeze.
D14JIM14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:49am
Well i stopped and saw Rick about the 45 and offered $300 ! Now

I gotta figure out how to pull it off the trailer at home when I get it and push it into the shop . Will have to haul sons loader tractor here then go get it, I guess . Wife just rolled her eyes but said I figured you'd get it .

Edited by D14JIM14 - 27 Oct 2020 at 11:50am
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 12:19pm
D14JIM14,

Keep us posted with pix if you can. Glad you gor the tractor. Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 12:20pm
My fat finger found the r next to the t, Should have been "got", not gor
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
D14JIM14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 1:37pm
Do it all the time Bob !🙂
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:11pm
Weights are bringing high prices at auction. This past summer I chased 3 of the stackable front end weights to $300. each.  Yes, each.  They went for $330. each.  Lots of weights on that estate sale near Terra Haute, IN.  All weights were bringing high prices.
D14JIM14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 7:42pm
If that was Bill Mishlers estate that was my brother . Weights sold extra high I thought . I'm the one that sang the national anthem as Bill used to do .
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:39am
Glad you got it bought for a reasonable price.You will be all smiles when you drive it for the first time. GOOD LUCK.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic