This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission shifting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy’s720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission shifting
    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:15pm
I was working on project in the yard for a couple of hours and then the tractor would not move. It’s seems it is not in gear but I did not shift anything. It runs well and hydraulics are ok just will not move forward or reverse.
I checked the linkage and all seem to be working.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links

Bird76Mojo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 10:53pm
I'm assuming this is a 720 Allis...

Have you checked that the dual drive belt tension is set to the factory specs? My tractor got very sluggish at one time and it was the drive belt tension. You couldn't tell they were slipping either.. But they were.

GB :)

Edited by Bird76Mojo - 23 Oct 2020 at 11:00pm
Randy’s720 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy’s720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 6:29pm
I was checking and the belts seem very loose and get looser when the clutch is depressed. How are they tightened? I opened the cover and the radiator shroud but could not determine how to tighten the belts. It appreciate the help- it’s a great thing. Randy
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:45pm
For me, the easiest way to adjust them was to remove the belly pan and do it from underneath, as well as one adjustment from the top.

Manual pages 16 and 17 I believe: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1001821/Simplicity-Pow-R-Max-4040.html?page=16#manual

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:55pm
I never use the foot clutch on them , just the hydro  
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:03pm
Radiator shroud? Can’t be a 720. What model number tractor do you have?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy’s720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 12:19am
Sorry meant oil cooler
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy’s720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 12:22am
I was just saying if the clutch pedal was depressed the belts seem to be very loose. I agree that in normal operation the clutch is not used.
I am still not sure how to adjust the belts easily.
I noted that when I started the tractor the belts and pulleys were moving but when I put it under load they stopped and no belt movements were noted.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:58am
The drive belts are probably cooked at this point, but you can still check the tension to make sure it's set right. I posted a link to the procedure earlier....

If you push the clutch in, the belts should loosen. That's normal. It stops the pump from turning when you clutch it.

Here's a link to another manual. Download it. Read it. 

http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/upload/mikefox/PowerMaxRepairManual.pdf

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 5:47pm
My 720 did the same thing this afternoon. The hydrostat handle/lever moves very easy now. Maybe a linkage broke or came apart. 
I'll dig into it in the next day or two. We put the transmission in neutral and dragged it into the shop.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm
Good news, I got it fixed, a bolt in the linkage came apart/out. Very close quarters to get hands into.
I haven't tried it yet, Not very nice weather outdoors, so I didn't take it out and drive it around.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic