This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check pins & bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check pins & bushings
    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:31pm
could one of you please explain the proper way to check pins & bushings for wear on a small crawler? Randy
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:04pm
Here is a good informative article, by Dresser, about undercarriage.  The info, especially about how to measure and check wear applies to just about all crawlers I know of.  You will need the specs for the crawler and chains you are going to measure for comparison to the measurements you get.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:06pm
snug up tracks, pick ANY pin and pick lead or tail surface(furthest forward or back point to lay of track),  go to Fifth pin in either direction, measure to same point of that pin(Essentially Center of one to Center of the other), divide that number by four(Measured across Four Links).

Edited by DMiller - 18 Oct 2020 at 1:08pm
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:57pm
Well i guess i don't know much about judging condition of tracks  i was going by visible wear . thanks   Randy
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:13pm
External wear on a bushing means a lot as they DO wear, it is the Pin to Bushing INTERNAL wear that eats them alive on dry pin rails.  SALT or Sealed And Lubricated Track has Lube Seals and oil or heavy oily grease Pin to Bushing, Seals go bad oil/grease leaks out and they wear as Dry pin Rails do.

These were the Old rails under my 7G, They APPEAR Great, they are also at 7.136" pin to pin, or .016 GREATER than 100% worn, Internally.  Were snaking JUNK, walked off like a bad rubber recap.

This is Snaking from Internal Wear.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm
Visible wear is also important Randy... But like DAVE said, its the INTERNAL wear that normally causes the chain to STRETCH, which then causes the miss fit on the sprockets... and leads to external wear.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:30pm
on a smaller scale think of your Chain Saw... Chain can LOOK ok on the outside.. Internal wear causes it to STRETCH until you have no adjustment left, or binding on the sprocket since the PITCH is way off.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm
The sprockets on this cat look like they are  good . i have owned 3 smaller john deere dozers 420s and 430 on the smaller tracks i would just try to twist the pad back and forth if it didn't twist much it was good to go. 450 tracks are getting too big for an old man to twist on. starting to think I should run away for this one. The dealer said the tracks are at 90%. They look new. Thanks for the reply Randy
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 5:54pm
The same concept as roller chain on any farm equipment. When worn out you do not measure chain, you count the number of links. If you lay a new and very used chain side by side of the same number of links. the old will be much longer. Worn or stretcher as it is referred to wares sprockets faster than new chain the same in tracks.

DMillers last picture with chain under track frame also shows "snakyness" (don't know if that's a real word but very descriptive).Not something really measurable but becomes part of the track issues that lead to losing a track off sprockets and idlers. All because of internal ware. Generally only measured in how stretched a chain is. 
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:37pm
I had a real good lesson in worn pins and bushings on the last 420 when my oldest son threw a track on top of an ant hill. ya that was fun, that was 35 years ago. now with bad wrists I don't know how it would go to be putting tracks back on. Randy
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:37pm
Test for the timing chain on an Alfa Romeo is to open it out, hold it links up, measure the deflection and compare to book spec
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:41pm
           Track wear has 2 things - internal and external - external is the shape of the roller or bushing - how it fits into sprocket teeth , and sprocket teeth themselves being pointed , flat cupped , bushing has 2 wear sides externally and can be turned ONCE to bring a new surface into contact with sprockets 
 Internal wear is not easy to spot but the measuring of spacing between 3 to 5 overall links will give a idea of wear limit . Internal wear can be compensated with by having a track press remove pins and bushings and rotating 180 degrees to bring new surface into play on wear . this will allow about 1/4 more life that was the new track life . 
 If left to long before turning the ends of the links will have wear and a snaky track will result even though new wear surfaces are inside . 
 The idea of removing a link form track so you have adjustment is a real FALSE repair as the pitch of the roller to sprocket is off and bushing will be riding up on sprocket and decreasing sprocket life itself 
 One of the biggest and quickest deaths of track is HIGH SPEED use and in that almost double with high speed reversing over a prolonged distance . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 11:40am
I have a set of K tracks. The pads are 60% or better. These have the same dimensions as an HD6. 2" pin diameter, with 4 1/2 inch rail height. Pad bolt pattern is the same dimension as the HD6. They are 34 links. I also have a pallet of HD6 pads, about 60, which are 16", I believe. I can email or text pictures of the tracks.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 2:50pm
HD 5 / HD 6 uses the same track dimensions just the length differs in number of links used between models 
 Didn't know early machines also used the same pitch  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic