This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking Sediment Bowl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotorCityBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Sediment Bowl
    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 5:02pm
So my 1953 B sediment bowl always leaks between the top edge of the glass bowl and the underside of the mount. I replaced the gasket but it still leaks. Any ideas on how to stop the leaking?
Rob
1953 AC B
Kubota L3901
Blairsville, GA
Sponsored Links

Kevingweq View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevingweq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 5:20pm
Had similar problem on an IH dozer , Ended up making a gasket out of a piece of silicone rubber sheet ,Been leak free for 5-6 years
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 5:32pm
Drain, remove sed bowl, check the gasket surface for flatness.  Sometimes someone overtorques the bail nut, and bends the pot metal of the gasket surface.  Also check the bail nut and stud, to see that they aren't stripped.  Check the bail clip, itself for bends. If you have any questions at all, a whole new sediment bowl is under $30 at steiners, maybe less than that, if you shop around...

I cut my own gaskets, I use the thicker cork rubber, about 1/8", seems to last longer, for the same effort...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 7:16pm
I've found that if I twist the bowl while tightening it, it seems seat and seal better.  
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
MotorCityBear View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotorCityBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:50pm
Thanks for the replies. I will try your suggestions.
Rob
1953 AC B
Kubota L3901
Blairsville, GA
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 6:00pm
It's been "my" experience that the tighter you turn the bowl nut, the harder it leaks Wink.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:10pm
Yes on all the cork
don't be afraid to soak the cork or grease a little
you can tighten a bit more into the cork

HD3
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:21pm
the housing is not clean enought were the gasket seals
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:45pm
rubber O ring' works the best. try it'
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:19am
i did the same as Kevin and Dawnt. on alot of my units. seems cork never resealed after removing the bowl a few times to empty and clean it.
BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
On my 210 I found out there are 2 different part numbers depending on the glass bowl size (tall, short). I tried one from rural king and carquest they leaked. Got seal from dealer and been fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic