This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

99 GMC tranny?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 99 GMC tranny?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:31pm
I think my truck has had a major problem arise. Today it popped and while it is moving tranny sounds like Halloween in Hell! Raised back tires of  ground, can spin them with no major noise. Put truck in gear and tranny sounds like broken or missing teeth on gears. What is most likely culprit? Any help appreciated. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:45pm
Somebody stuck a tire iron through somebody elses u joint where my daughter worked years ago. Her description sounded a lot like yours.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 8:03pm
Pretty sure it is the sun gears. Hope it isn't a too costly fix.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 8:08pm
You may come out ahead putting a rebuilt unit in instead of trying to fix the old one. Depends on how many miles you have on it and how many more you hope to get out of it.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm
Hubert, around 250,000 on it. Would like to get several more years out of her if possible. Tracy
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:16pm
manual or auto?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 8:46am
auto.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:12am
Sounds like a bad planetary. I would look for a used low mile replacement.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:32pm
None to be found. I guess it is getting rebuilt. Tracy
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:55pm
Tracy for what it’s worth I drive a 99 GMC also. Had to rebuild the transmission at around the same miles.
That’s been the only major expense on this truck. It’s at 400000 miles now
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:05pm
2 wheel or 4 wheel and what transmission ?
I was looking for a transfer case for my 2000 GMC and came across more transmissions 
both 4L60 and 4L80  but each has a different output shaft . 
As I have a 4L80 finding the right transfer case was a hunt , then finding the right electronic controller unit was another problem - ended up replacing clutches and bearings in mine - cheaper than any rebuild I could find and was a couple hours work once unit was out of vehicle . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:04pm
4 wheel drive 4l60.  Hope they can get started later part of this week. Been a good truck. Less problems with it than any of the newer ones my friends have. Too much bull on the newer stuff.  Tracy
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 1:54am
that's why i've kept my '97 and '98 too Tracy, plus my back don't hurt driving them. my old lady's....oooops....i mean my loving wifes new burb has leather seats and i can't drive it as long as my pickups with the cloth seats. 
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:25am
Greetings everyone, enjoyed this site for many years and can’t let a Chevy truck person down. Sounds like the noise maybe the pesky snap ring on the tail shaft of the transfer case. Jack up and support the rear end to keep fluid from leaking out, remove rear drive shaft, then take off tail shaft housing to reveal a broken snap ring that goes into a groove on shaft to keep the shaft engaged in the sprocket. Learned this the hard way after replacing the chain in the case only to have the noise continue. Replaced the snap ring and problem solved. Hope this helps and saves you time and money. If the truck is still moving then the transmission is doing it’s job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic