This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Standby Gennerators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Standby Gennerators
    Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:10am

Hello all,
 I am new here to the site and need some expertese on how old and when (years ) did Allis Chalmers produce skid mount generators? They must have sold a ton of them Sorry I dont have any nameplate data at this moment other than i am thinking about buying it for my farm where the power company wants $$$$$$ in the thousands (16K) to get power down to my farm.  The generator is a 30KW it cranks and runs great and is dieselpower and it shows to have 1223 hours on the hour meter.What  I am most concerned about the availability of general parts (oil filters, water pump etc......) to keep this thing in top shape. I already ahve run into this problem before as I purchased a 1977 50KW onan with a Ford Dorsett diesel and had to have a water pump which ended up costing me $495.00 because it was obsolete and the folks I got it from were the only ones whom had it in the world, with exchange of course. OUCH yes I did buy it by the way I guess a good way to look at it is at least it was available. The 30 KW Allis Chalmers is also a skid mount unit which has a built in tank and already on a trailer which is a plus. Please advise if anyone out there owns one or can pass on any info at all. 

Thanks and God Bless
Gary in Texas   
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:34am
a kilowatt is about 1.5 HP, so im guessing you motor is about 45 HP. Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder motor, does it have a tag ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:06am
AC seemed to use parts that were easy to find as far as accessories to engines. Some items may be harder to find butthey are out there on someones shelve.
 Minnpar web site might answer some questions on what is common items they can supply.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:23am
A picture is worth a thousand words...Allis made many industrial generators using their 426 cu tractor engine from probably the late 60's to the early 80's...those are commonly seen for sale on e-Bay.  Engine parts are readily available for those.   If you can't post a pic, tell us more about it.  How many cylinders is the engine?  Six would match either the 426 or the 301.   Turbocharged?   Size of the block both length & height?...again look for an engine data plate on the side of the block...someone may have painted over it.    Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:53pm
Parts for the allis motor are easy to get.  But if you have a true allis gen end they can be hard  They used a swinging penugum voltage regulator that you hopes never breaks.  I have never seen a 30kw allis gen-set. The size I normaly seen were 100 to 500kw.  I would realy like to see a photo of this thing.  The data card on the gen end should tell you who's end it is.  If your lucky its a generac end they are easy to find parts for.    The ford diesel they are not that hard to find parts for it may of been your dealer I have rebuilt 2 of them in the last 4 years.  A few diffrent companys used allis motors on their gen-set like onan, generact, ITT, marathon  If you cant do a photo tell us what color the gen was from the factory.    kip
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
texasred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 8:23pm

Thanks to every one for the replies. I will get more info tomorrow and look for the data plates on the engine and generator end as well. I will figure out how to post a picture of the genset for those of you whom have never seen a 30 KW model.
 Thanks again
 Gary C.    
texasred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:34pm

Gentlemen,
  Here is all the info on the Allis Chamlers skid unit generator,

Engine data - Allis Chamlers   D 262
     Serial # 4-7451-99735 

Generator data -
     Serial # 365A68-5953N25 
     Type- BGKB 
     Leads--12
     Phase-  3
     PF-.86
     Htz- 60
     RPM- 1800
     Volts- 208-240/416-480
     Cont. Rating KW= 30 
     KVA-37.5
     Insul Class = F
     Reg. Model -    CS-108-1  

I cannot get the pictures to attach because of file size. %$##%^&**&^%^&*
 You must be smarter than the program you are working with.
Gary  in Texas

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 11:52am
Parts easily availavle for the motor but i cant say about the generator as i dont have a clue.
Gary in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 2:15pm
south Texas?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic