This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil control rings into cylinder liner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil control rings into cylinder liner
    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:48pm
I've been trying all day, more precise than ever in my life, yet cannot get them into cylinder liner.  Using standard piston ring compressor.  Is there a trick?  This costing me days of futility.  Thanks for any ideas.  On 271 engine, GM Diesel, two cylinder, 1951
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:16pm
Try a ring set, alone, sans piston.  You may have the wrong ones, or they might need fitting...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Try a ring set, alone, sans piston.  You may have the wrong ones, or they might need fitting...Wink

you maybe saying the same thing, but remove the rings from the piston and see how they fit in the cylinder.
there should be some gap in the ring ends when installed in the cylinder bore.

Dan 
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:31pm
I finally figured out which control ring was the chrome.  They all looked the same.  The diagram in the package showed slotted and non slotted, I think I've figured that out although they seem very close to the same.  Had no idea this was literal rocket science.  The kit also has main bearings that I don't think I could install or need, but now I see it may be possible with the engine still in the tractor.  It's starting to osmose to me these four halves of "thrust" bearings.  I have no idea how difficult they may be. This whole process has been a scary gamble.  Will the end ever come?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:00pm
Are you loading this from the BOTTOM of the Liner?  The bottom lip is relieved for ring entry, the Top is NOT.  Pistons/Rods and Sleeves are assembled to these engines as a Unit not individually.  I used to own sleeve loading units as this, made life simpler for a mechanic.

Edited by DMiller - 07 Aug 2020 at 12:03pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:41pm
Very easy to break oil ring using regular compressor even though going in the tapered bottom
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:27pm
Yes, I already have broken some and got new ones.  When you say regular compressor, it seems I need an irregular one.  What might that be?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 6:30pm
Need to make absolutely certain a wrap type compressor is square and not barber polled when install piston, has to be in full contact with sleeve until rings are in the bore.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:10pm
The compressor you need is in that video link. Find a truck shop that still has one and take your stuff there and pay them to load your liners

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 08 Aug 2020 at 9:12pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 10:58pm
Did you ever get this whipped?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic