This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How NOT to store Ammonium Nitrate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How NOT to store Ammonium Nitrate
    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:23pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:57pm
sounds like Hezbola and the Mafia are involved...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:02pm
That was one helluva explosion. Be interesting to find out who is behind it.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:33pm
Yeah right, cnn...  sure I believe it was firewoeks... where's that sarcasm meter, when I need it...?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:14pm
That is the depot were Hezbola stores their amunitions from Iran.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 2:23am
I saw on one report that ammonium nitrate had been stored there since 2014.  Also that fireworks were stored in another building near by.  Looks like the grain elevator next to the blast is in danger of collapsing.  Makes one wonder why something like fertilizer was stored where it was.  Seems like just a few years ago a ag chemical plant blew up down in Texas from the same thing.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 3:44am
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/bovine_meter.gif
DD, here ye go... save it so ye can use it more often...
think it will be getting used a lot in the following months.

What was mind boggling is the mushrooming cloud with the center having BLACK smoke ...  I am thinking it looks fishy to me.

Somebody said 27 tons of ammonia nitrate... that seems like an awful small amount to have for use as fertilizer when applying say 50 pounds to an acre...  that's only 40 acres per ton... or app. 1080 acres less than 2 square miles.....   and coulda used that up in no time at all... 

To make that fert. work good, it needs to have some diesel...  
Thing with explosives, when restricted enough to build pressure up to overcome the containment, bigger poof or rather boom.  Would that warehouse contain it long enough to do that? doubt it it.   Think there was more powder in there than just the fertilizer, but time will tell ... maybe.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 6:43am
27 HUNDRED Tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate, the big silo affair was aside the storing structure it was in.  Now why in a desert nation would they 'Need' 2700 Tonnes(Metric) of the stuff, they do not really farm there.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Aug 2020 at 7:12am
Todd AL View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:01am
No real conspiracy. Fireworks catch fire. Fire dept. put water on the fire. Water gets to Ammonium nitrate, creates hydrogen gas ( Demolition grade Ammonium nitrate is treated with diesel not for explosive property, but to reduce the opportunity to make hydrogen). Hydrogen gas meets flame, go boom. Not to mention the secondary explosion from the grain dust created when the silos got compromised. I also wonder how much ammonium nitrate degrades, if at all over 6 years. Farmers used to use that stuff to blow out stumps. A pound of Ammonium nitrate, a coffee can of water, and a long fuse!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:40am
Just another mystery, hope it get's solved. On the same level of mystery as what happened to the Maine in the Havana harbor back in 1898. The BS spreaders on main stream media will have a line to feed the sheepal. Just like Hearst had for the explosion of the Maine.

No clue as to how much bang you get per ton. But considering all the going's on in the area,hard for me to think it was a accident. But accidents do happen every day. So I have read a theory of how coal stored for to long on a ship could have caused the explosion of the Maine.  

But I have been told adding some fresh wet BS to ammonium nitrate makes a bigger better bang. But the shenanigan king of Nebrasky has no come and showed me .................yet anyway.  

Prayer for all the people living over there just trying to keep out of both sides way.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:51am
"Somebody said '27 tons' "
  Thanks Dave....,
   Was waiting for the author of the tonnage to correct it. Guess he doesn't read the shops an barns forum over here.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:39pm
CIA, and Mossad.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:36pm
Dimocrats already blaming Trump?????????? Wouldnt put it past them.   
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 2:06am
The fertilizer was from a ship that broke down in 2014, it was in such bad shape they made the ship owner unload the cargo.  I assume it was in 50 pound or so bags or maybe those bigger bags with loops that forklifts pick up.  The ship was bound for Africa.  Can't help but wonder if someone was making big money storing it in the building and even the authorities wanted it gone, probably some money to the right pocket kept the gravy train going.  No doubt the responsible parties were miles away at their estates.  Sounds like the government is pretty corrupt so only some flunky's will get jailed.  I read that 85% of the grain in the country is stored in that elevator.  Looks like most of it is damaged, maybe the silos on the other side will still be ok but I doubt I would want to be unloading grain from there.  I feel sorry for the firemen and other workers who were at ground zero when it went up.

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 5:45am
I don't watch/listen to the news anymore, get the scoop here...
if the grain's gone, sounds like a business opportunity for someone.. though I can just here the Liberal LOONY Leader here saying 'Canada will send over xxxxx tons of grain to help them during this unfortunate accident', so of course, once again the FARMERS get the short,smelly  end of the stick....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:34am
just for Jay !!!

Canada sending up to $5M in humanitarian aid to Lebanon after Beirut explosion

Social Sharing

Over 100 people died in blast that injured thousands more

Ryan Patrick Jones · CBC News · 
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:03am
Estimated 330,000 homeless. The shock wave was tremendous.

Another report said some welders were involved.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic