This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canning jar lids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AMB(wcIL) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB(wcIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canning jar lids
    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:28am
Re-using lids is ok, if you have used lids to reuse !!   Andy
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:56am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK.... you do know you can(no pun) reuse the lids ? As long as the 'rubber' seal is 100%, no problem.

Maybe the reason car doors are a jar, is because jars are used for canning?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:45am
Was in the amish store they had plenty.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:40am
OK.... you do know you can(no pun) reuse the lids ? As long as the 'rubber' seal is 100%, no problem.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:39am
     We went to buy a freezer from a local appliance dealer back in June and were told that they were estimating availability in 3 months. Now a little over 1 1/2 months and still no freezer. They were blaming the shortage on lack of some of the components from over seas due to the virus. Said we were on a list of about 75 customers at that time. Couldn't find any other place that had one in June either.
AMB(wcIL) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB(wcIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:17am
I can't find flat lids around Jacksonville IL and there still is a shortage of freezers to.  Must be a conspiracy to keep people from growing their own food.   Andy
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:57pm
Was in Walmart this morning getting some groceries happened to notice at the bananas a sign banana saver stopped just to glance, there was a pack of regular rings and lids sitting there...  $3.78 only box
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:52pm
It's a store to store thing. Up by me, there were none to be had. Drove into downtown (less gardeners) found all kinds.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:01pm
I haven't seen lids or canning salt around me for 6 weeks +. I lucked into one box of lids + rings... Didn't need the rings but sure needed the lids. Jars are generally available. I also think it is something to do with more people canning this year.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 11:15am
     Just wondering what you guys paid for lids recently. The ones we got early were $2.29 per dozen for regular size.
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:55am
My wife mentioned the other day she was having trouble finding jars and lids for canning. But theres now a stack of them in the kitchen so apparently she found them somewhere.LOL
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:26pm
Lots of them at the local Grocery stores here. Tomatoes, green beans just setting on. Mulberry trees never had anything on them. Grape vines loaded. Taters need dug. Zuk's going wild even with just 1/2"rain for past 45 days. Probably won't be able to find them in 2-3 weeks when there needed here.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:26pm
regular size lids are hard to find here in Texas . Found a few big mouth jar lids at Ace Hardware store
    Everyone must be canning. Even those who don't know how to can are trying to can.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 06 Aug 2020 at 9:28pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 5:47pm
we've been buying the lids in the grocery stores or at wally world, the jars come from the 2nd hand stores.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:03pm
Thanks for the response,  I think we have enough right now, we are canning beans and tomatoes, but will need some for hot peppers and pepper relish,  wife had bought a dozen jelly jars with bands and lids so we used those lids today, will use some wide mouth jars tomorrow.  Wide mouth lids are available at local walmart, but we have a limited supply of those jars. 
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:32am
717-397-4131 
Fillmore Container
Try this company, I used them and was satified.
 2315 Norman Road
Lancaster PA 17601 - 5930
Fax: 717-509-3339
Toll-Free: 866-FILL-JAR ( 866-345-5527)
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 A.M. - 5 P.M.

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:31am
We had to order some this spring---- havent checked lately. ---Probably horded up by non-users again like everything else.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 7:24am
     Brother said yesterday he couldn't find any at wally world or rural king. An orchard he visited had a few wide mouth lids for $5.?? per dozen. Central Ohio. No quart jars anywhere either. Said one of the employees at rural king told him they had tried to  find  another supplier for lids and jars and couldn't find any.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:08pm
Bought several dozen a month or so back and haven't checked lately. Tomatoes and green beans are about done for this year but I will need to stock up for next year. Wife freezes our lima beans and peas. Jars were in short supply for a while but there seem to be plenty now.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:05pm
My mother in law and my grandmother both mentioned they were having a hard time finding lids. Might be like deck boards. People have been home and decided to build decks and can I guess
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:03pm
have you tried the 'dollar' stores ? I found them cheaper for the SAME brands, go figure ?? I can't...
when the lids are $1/12 ,on sale  after canning season I usually buy 20-30$ worth of them. try to get ahead of next years 'fun'
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:20pm
Unable to buy regular canning jar lids locally, is this wide spread?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic