This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6000 Series Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6000 Series Brakes
    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 8:08am
Our 6060 has had NO left wheel brake.  Not linkage or bleeding, something is locked up in the caliper,/disk in the rear end, brake peddle is HARD.   Instructions say do not use brake fluid, it causes corrosion, well I am sure somebody has at some point.   This spring I drained as much fluid as I could and refilled with correct hydraulic fluid.   I have started to notice there is an indication of a left wheel brake!   Is there a chance the caliper/disk might free itself up and I will regain "tire skidding" left wheel brake?  Is there something else I might do to speed things up?    I am simply not equipped to remove wheel and axel to get to the caliper/disk.

Bill

Sponsored Links

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 6:44am
You have no acces to a cherry picker or loader?  Heck chain fall off a tree would do it.  

First I’d check the shaft that the pedals pivot on
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 8:06am
Pedals are free, it is definitely in the rear end, disk and calipers.  There is a ton of wheel weights and tires are loaded, I am 80 and have no business fooling with it!  Impossible getting a mechanic to make a house call.   There is lot of experience on this board, just thought somebody might have had the same problem.

Bill
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:18am
When you try to bleed it do you get good flow from the bleeder
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:21am
When I bleed, everything goes as expected.  But when I close the bleeder, I have right brakes and a hard pedal and no brakes on the left.  I have read that using brake fluid causes corrision and I think that is what happened.  I have replaced the fluid with hydurlic fluid and am getting just a little braking.  Question:   Is there a chance it might free up?   I am sorry, spell check is not working today!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:32am
There isn't a "caliper" like a car. It is a piston that is probably 10 inches in outer diameter and 8 inches inner diameter. You have to pull the axle off to do anything.
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:35am
Thank you Dr Allis.   My service manual doesn't show it well enough for me to understand.  If you use brake fluid and it corrodes, what exactly happens in there?  You could pound on the brake  pedal and NOTHING!  After changing the fluid to hydraulic fluid there is just a little brake when you stand on the pedal.   Is there a chance it could free up or is the damage done and tear down is necessary?

Thanks,

Bill Allis
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 7:02am
I have no idea. Brake fluid would be bad, as I'm sure the piston seals are damaged. At a minimum, I'd think one would have to flush out everything that is in there now for any chance of the correct fluid to work. That would be hard to do without removal of the piston from its bore. Fluid goes in the top and the bleeder is also on the top. Don't think there is a drain plug on the bottom, but it might be worth looking.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 8:00am
Have saw heavy weighted 7080 break all plates in one side (about same setup) that had hard pedal and no brake. MACK
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 8:37am
I think mine was the same, I did as you described (drained and bled) and that was 10 years ago. Breaks were tight on mine with a hard pedal. It had never seen the inside of a shed and when I sprayed the pedal shaft the brakes worked better.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:24am
I have the pedals freed up, they were locked up too.  But this in in the rear end i am sure.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 9:03am
Sounds like disassembly may be in your future. Sorry
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 9:15pm
Any chance your master cylinder is seized on that side?  Just thinking outside the current path is all.  I have had those final drives off and thought they were pretty easybut i appreciate your age and without some means of  handling those heavy things I can understand your position completely 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic