This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Brakes
    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 11:37am
One of the things I've found on this new to me WD45 is the left brake not working . Looking up through the inspection hole at first looked like broken pieces of brake lining blocking the hole, once I looked a little better it turned out to be a shattered brake drum. I can't imagine the ruckus that must have caused. I made the mistake of dislodging a few Pieces  from the bottom which  jammed up against the broken drum and locked up the rear wheel, which led to having to remove the pin and shoes in order to move the tractor out of the garage. It wasn't the project I thought I was doing next, but had to be done , Now I need to find a replacement drum and re-line the shoes before I pull the final drive. Good fun.
Sponsored Links

Sanchez View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 8:42pm
Is this type of drum failure common? I was surprised to discover it shattered like this.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 8:48pm
Where in Alberta are you?  I've got about 4 final drives from WD's which I think are the same as WD45.  I would have to look and see if the drums are any good, but they should be.  You're welcome to one or two if It would help you out. 
Sanchez View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 1:23am
Phil thats a great offer, I'm near Sherwood Park. If you are parting out I'd be looking for a drum and maybe 1 set of shoes if you have any that are useable. 
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 7:05am
Now that's another example of why this forum is great!!!

Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 8:25am
Sanchez,
Not sure how common the problem is but I did find a drum with cracks and had to replace it on the WD45 I completed a year ago. Some pictures on my thread. New drum was about $80.00 I believe. I got mine from Sandy Lake.
Yea its not a fun job. Sounds like you got the lower brake shoe pin out. That can be the worst part. 
Also while your in there that far, its not a bad idea to consider replacing the seals that keep the differential juice contained. Also if you have time money and energy, its is good to do both sides, then everything is all ready to go for another 70 years!
These are just my opinions. 
Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 8:57am
Once the final is removed, and what's left of the drum knocked off.
A good way to get the remaining hub off is.......
Find a good tapered-end punch. (~ 5/16 dia tip works good)
Select a corresponding drill and drill a hole into the hub over the key, but not through the key.
Support the hub on the opposite side with a heavy buck; a third hand is ideal for this.
Or lay it down on an anvil or something that won't give. 
Start the punch in the hole and give it a few substantial whacks with a 2# hammer.

Hub should crack along the keyway.
The idea is to make use of the taper to force the hub to crack apart.

It's helpful to use a thin grinding blade to slice into the hub as deep as possible above the key.

We used the punch method for all of our brake jobs on A-Cs with those type of drums.
There were plenty of cracked drums to be found.

Good advice from Sugarmaker.
IIRC, the axle seals were leather.  New ones will be rubber,

Installing new drums can be a challenge too.  Best to uniformly heat them up and slide on.  Make sure to they are seated on the round ring.  A long pipe that will fit over the axle & sledge at the ready will help to drive it home.
Worst case; remove axle from final housing and use a hydraulic press to do the above.
Keep track of all shims !

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:54am
I'm not far away, just a few miles east, south of Tofield.  Apparently those drums are a bear to get off.  So far, Ive been lucky and haven't had to replace one.

Sent you a PM.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 7:22pm
Neighbor many years ago asked me to help him out... the tractor he and his father bought in the early 70's hadn't been run in over a decade, and needed to be awakened... having a serious emotional attachment, he couldn't work on it alone, and of course, he wanted someone with a bit more hands-on experience leading the way... so I did it.

Short story, I got the carb cleaned, everything  checked, battery in it fired up, aired up tires, went to back it out to give it a short drive-test, and he offered me a warning:

"Hey... just so you know... it's an old tractor... one of the brakes doesn't work!!"

My answer was:

"You mean ONE of the brakes actually works???"

It took him a moment, then he got a great big grin... LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 6:11am
Lon has good used ones on the shelf.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic