This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric fuel pump on a 75 Dodge 440?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric fuel pump on a 75 Dodge 440?
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:54am
Wanting to put an electric gas pump on my 75 Dodge 200 with a 440 and 4 brl Carter -Tottally by passing the mechanical- do I need to add a return any where? Ill wire it to come on with the switch at starting , what happens to the gas when the bowls fill up and are full without the engine running? New ones are set up for this but not my 75 ,
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:16pm
Always wire it in on IGN ON Side NOT full time battery power, next only buy one that delivers up to the 5-6psi that standard manual pumps put out. Those stated when turn off key pump does not remain running nor should it ever unless engine is running continue to run or fill carb bowls.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:37pm
YEP... if it only puts out 5 psi, then its just like the mechanical pump supplying the carb... The float needle will dead head the flow as needed into the carb...no return line... Power off the switch like Dave said.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:20pm
It would be wise to power it from an oil pressure switch for safety's sake. Powering a fuel pump directly from the ignition would keep the pump running in the event of any collision and possibly pumping gas everywhere. A push button wired in would allow for priming.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
The pumps have internal regulators and work fine---I have had several of them over the years. ----For your big engine---be sure to get one with the right GPM! ----too low and you will go no where! lol! They come in all sizes as to gpm's.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 5:47pm
To add a oil pressure switch need to add a Cranking Bypass wire or a timed start relay as GMs have.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:11pm
all of them i've ever had...clicked real fast until the pressure was built up, then only heard slow clicking. have had them on both gas and diesel. don't remember the GPM pump i had on my 360.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic