This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drill Press Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drill Press Recommendations
    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 4:50pm
I snapped off three manifold studs in my WD's head the other day and figured this is the best excuse I've had to get a drill press. I would like a decent quality used unit but I just haven't been seeing them for sale on Facebook or Craigslist, so I'm considering a new one from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool (I'm sure the real machinists on here are cringing). I'm not set on either one if Lowe's or somewhere has a decent one, though.

Ideally I'd keep this under $500, lets say. It would mostly be used for drilling metal. I can see maybe drilling broken bolts out of transmission shafts, or engine blocks, and I don't have a decent bench at the moment so I'm thinking a floor model - something like either of these:

This won't get a ton of use so I don't mind changing pulleys for speeds. Not just limited to those two... But with that budget, what would you recommend? Anything those couldn't do for general bolt removal etc.? Anything you wish your drill press had but doesn't?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 5:25pm
I got something similar25 years ago... Made in Taiwan, it'll outlive me......

I can pop out the chuck and put in BIG drill bits ( MT , Morse Taper ), though I've only done that 2-3 times...

The biggest issue is LIGHTING ! The MORE light the better ! Get a 'ring of LEDs' or at least a gooseneck and a 23W LED.

If doing  long ornery stuff, be SURE to make/get an adjustable holder for the 'other ' end.

Also lots of oil and use the correct speed for the size of the bit.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 5:54pm
I'm in the town of dorchester ne and have a nice one in your price range.  pm me if you have interest!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 6:50pm
I bought a cheap one from HF many years ago. I use it 2 or 3 times a month. Bench model. Usually drilling holes in steel. It works ok for this. I buy their drill bits in the big boxes. when I break them, just reach in the box and grab another. If I was a younger guy, I'd buy some good ones from someplace like Granger's and a drill bit sharpener from the Woodsmith Store. I'd sure look at one of the computer for sale sites and see if you can buy a good used commercial unit.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 27 Jun 2020 at 6:52pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:16pm
I have a 15 inch Craftsman that is 40 years old... bought the boy a 17 inch one from harbor Freight about 15 years ago... works fine for him.. 13 inch is  little small, i would go for the 16 or 17 inch models............ Number of speeds is not important. I set mine on the slowest speed to drill steel... Dont matter much if im using a 3/16 inch bit or a 3/4 inch bit, that speed is OK... I drill quite a few holes in wood also... not worth changing speeds. Takes about 5 seconds longer to drill the wood hole on slow speed... I bet i have not changed speed 3-4 times in 40 years... SLOW is good... too fast will burn a bit..... put a good 60w LED equiv bulb in the holde... and extra light might be a benefit.... Get one of the $30. VISE to go with it... you will need that.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:31pm
I got my floor model in the early 80's at Big Lot for $39.  I don't use it a lot or for anything specific, but it's always been there when I needed it.  Table adjusts up and down and I have a real nice vice on it.  I have it on the slowest speed and I don't think I have ever changed it.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:24pm
Big lots used to have some pretty good deals. The one here folded about 5-6 years ago.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:26pm
The 175.00-200.00 new ones can be had all day long for 75-100.00 in a pawn shop.
Best money I ever spent and it ain't big but does anything I have needed so far and no more piling up projects to justify a trip to the machine shop nor that expense.
Imported, pulley change speed options and a decent adjustable table that just needed lubed up well for operating.
Made short work of all the SC latch pins I had in a coffee can as had all of the broken roll pins removed in short order so it basically paid for itself with just those.

Whatever you buy, spring for a good press vice that fits the press table slots as it will help you get things done, slowly but accurately and safely. 

*Pawn shops are great round about 1st or 2nd week of December as they are dumping everything that has "expired" from the warehouse shelves and you can pick up some name brand stuff like spare 7/16, 1/2" and 9/16 sockets/wrenches, you know, the ones that seem to grow legs all year and run away in the shop.
Snagged a nice like new Yeti cooler a while back, for 60.00! 
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:44pm
I added an unguarded foot switch to my floor drill press.
I wired it so the master/regular switch has to be on for the foot switch to work, and added a light to the drill press, and it is only on when the master switch is on. No accidentally stepping on the foot switch.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
I have a bench mount on from menards bolted it and a bench mount grinder from menards to a 30" square old computer printer cabenite. It's on wheels I can roll it around the shop and roll it back into the corner when not needed. I think their both made by Wen. A good press vice is more important then the drill press itself. Unless it's a total piece of junk. I'm not doing production work just home stuff. I set the belt on the slowest speed when I got it and never changed it. We have an old harbor freight floor stand one at the farm it been in use for a couple decades stiill working. I don't like the floor stand only because something is always in the way when trying to get a large piece on it. I also have a small 1/4" variable speed hobbiest drill press mounted on a wheeled cart in the shop bought a good small magnetic press vice for it. It's great for small jobs the cart is the correct height I can do small projects sitting in the chair. Cabinet under each drill press has storage with clams vice and a couple sets of bits reamers and sanding drums

Edited by Dakota Dave - 28 Jun 2020 at 5:05pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:31pm
I hadn't thought about pawn shops... I'll see if I can check a couple before I pull the trigger on the 17" Harbor Freight one. tomNE is unfortunately all the way across the state from me.

Sounds like I can use a slow speed like several of you mentioned and probably never bother changing it. I will get a decent vise for it, at least.

I may be showing my age but's funny to think of Big Lots having drill presses. I used to live a couple of miles from one but it's now closed, and even before that it didn't carry much in the way of tools.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 2:41pm
I bought one at Tractor Supply 15 years ago and it has worked great for anything I want to drill.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:40am
Big item is spindle but next is the table size - get one with a big enough table to hold vice and with slots for clamps , have one with a small round table and replaced it with another with large square table , now i do use my Bridgeport mill more for drilling than the drill press when doing more precision work as can clamp to bed then still move work with feeds on drill press to align . 
 Like any tool buy the best you can afford , also watch for run out on chuck and spindle, had one I took back as was about .006 or more run out , now for wood no problem but for metal just need better accuracy 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 8:30pm
It took a long time but I finally brought one home today. I've been keeping an eye online for used ones, and checked pawn shops now and then. The ones on CL/FB either disappear quickly if priced reasonably, or people are asking the same price as new for 10 year old Harbor Freight ones and they never sell. The pawn shops around here were very high, too - maybe $50 or $100 less than new on the HF or Craftsman models.

This Craftsman 15"/1 HP popped up today for $125 with the cross slide vise (probably HF). The quill seems to be nice and tight but the chuckcould probably use upgrading. The guy threw in the the other vise for $20. It has Chinese lettering printed on the tag but what the heck... Figure I can get that much use out of it, at least.

Thanks to everyone here for your input and suggestions. I'm hoping this will last me for decades for the occasional jobs where I need a drill press.

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 8:44pm
Looks like a nice. Wish the table was that big on mine.
Enjoy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 9:00pm
My 1980 model looks just like that... Does it have the real small 1/4 inch belt ?  I thought that would never last... I bought one after 5 years and kept as a spare.. Finally installed it when the original was 25 years old... New one has 15 years on it and NO PROBLEMS.. suprised me ?  I set on the slowest speed and never move it.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

My 1980 model looks just like that... Does it have the real small 1/4 inch belt ?  I thought that would never last... I bought one after 5 years and kept as a spare.. Finally installed it when the original was 25 years old... New one has 15 years on it and NO PROBLEMS.. suprised me ?  I set on the slowest speed and never move it.

This has 3/8" belts. 1/4" does seem small but for non-production work is probably plenty from the sounds of it. Wonder if mine is slightly newer or slightly larger than yours? This one says 1 HP "Developed" which I presume means not true full 1 HP somehow. It's an 8 amp motor.

I do plan on setting it to the lowest speed (250 RPM) and may not ever move it for what I plan to do with it. This is going to be so much better than using a hand drill for things like the broken manifold studs in the cylinder head.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 12:13am
i too have a bench model from HF, bought lots or years ago. it has worked good for me except in the winter time, the belt gets cold and hard and will not turn the drill part. it just sits and slips. it's in my outdoor shop and ussually it's to cold to do anything out there in winter anyway. i also looked at the bench models from northern tool, couldn't see any difference between them and HF except the price. if you use your floor model...bolt or fasten it to something bigger on the floor, they get wobbly and wiggley when using them, buddy had his fall over and it's never worked right since.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 5:17am
We used to have a china knock off store. Harbor freight type place.
I bought my first drill press there in 94 or 95. It’s been used hard ever since. For a few years it was in my welding shop and used for production work.
A couple years back I bought an old (1930’s) atlas for $25.00 with no motor.
I rigged up a Jack shaft with step pulleys and a 1 Ho 1725 rpm motor. That thing is smooth as glass.
I then bought one made in 1890 that came out of the Daisy BB gun factory. Has a window weight on a cable to raise the quill.
I still use the China one most. I change speeds quite often.
I really need to buy a new Chuck for it. The one that came with it has gotten severely wore and developed some runout. I also swapped it back n forth between my lathe and the drill press.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 9:01am
good score there john  Wink
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:11am
Another source is estate sales. Year or so ago I got a 1950’s bench model, for $60.00 or so. Dang thing was heavy. Having a challenge finding a chuck key that fits correct.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 3:36pm
Unless you get a big radial or milling machine good luck with your engine block.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 4:12pm
Where cheap Chinky drills and mills go sour is slop in the driving splines inside the quill. Makes for runout and big time racket. I've got an old Monkey Wards I've done production work with I wouldn't trade for a whole bank of Deltas. The limitation on a drill press is throat depth- distance between spindle and column you can always get around table size but you ain't never getting chuck farther from column without a radial. Go for the deep throat man.

Edited by Walker - 13 Feb 2022 at 4:53pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 7:16pm
Whatever you do, when choosing a drill press, ALWAYS make sure you've got a really big, heavy, sturdy base... and a VERY LARGE TABLE...

So you have plenty of space to put things...  Confused  LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 6:33am
Plenty of ballast on that base
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Unless you get a big radial or milling machine good luck with your engine block.

I honestly can't think of a bolt or stud I can't get to with this on a 201/226 AC block? Like you said, table size can be overcome.

For my usage I can't justify dropping thousands on a new USA made one and the older USA-built used ones I could find for sale were thoroughly destroyed.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Whatever you do, when choosing a drill press, ALWAYS make sure you've got a really big, heavy, sturdy base... and a VERY LARGE TABLE...

So you have plenty of space to put things...  Confused  LOL

LOL The guy I got this drill press from no longer needed it because he had gotten a nice Bridgeport and hadn't used the drill press since.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 9:23pm
wjohn, i have used my 15.5 inch Craftsman 3-4 times per week for over 40 years... You will be suprised what you can do with it.... I have moved the table on occasion and built up from the base.... I have a vise that sets on the table to use for smaller work... Done a lot of work with that.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

For my usage I can't justify dropping thousands on a new USA made one and the older USA-built used ones I could find for sale were thoroughly destroyed.

Yeah, that happens.  Acquiring this Johannsen set me back $112... I had to scrounge some scrap metal to make the motor adapter setup, the Gates Polychain belt kit (small and large sheave, plus belt) was another $110...  the Allen-Bradley 1305 VFD was $43...  the footswitch introduced itself to me at an auction for $12, and the can of paint was around $15.  I added the table drive motor a year or two later, it's a Bodine 120vac reversable that came out of a small conveyor at a junkyard that I was able to trade weight-for-weight, and it probably cost me 15 pounds of scrap steel.  The spindle lights are little LED under-cabinet pucks, came from the Re-Store for 3 bucks.

In all, I probably have at least $350 in it... Wacko

Yes, it'll drill holes... and power tap.  It has an R-8 taper, so I can use a selection of chucks (keyless and keyed) as well as a Procunier tapping head, a Criterion boring head, and I've got a little belt-drive multiplier spindle for 30,000rpm micro bits. When I'm not drilling with it, It'll securly support a sandwich, bag of chips, and a soda while I'm standing at the lathe... and at that distance, it will ALMOST be far enough so that little swarf chunks don't wind up in my Ruffles.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

I honestly can't think of a bolt or stud I can't get to with this on a 201/226 AC block? Like you said, table size can be overcome.

I wasn't thinking inline engine when I posted. I was thinking V8 on an old lineshaft mill and walking bent over for a week from keeping feet out of drop zone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic