This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-14 Fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-14 Fork lift
    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:25pm
I'm looking for some information on a D-14 ForK lift I just bought. I can't seem to find any evidence that Allis Chalmers made them so I'm wondering if it was some type of after market conversion. The tractor has a shuttle clutch but the Norm Swinford book says that shuttle clutches were introduced with the D-15 industrial tractors. The Wendel book does show a D-15 fork lift but no evidence of a D-14. Any info, copies of sales literature, etc. would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:41pm
For more info, try Swinford's other book, Allis Chalmers Construction Machinery & Industrial Equipment, chapter 12.  Your's looks like a '57(by the grille.  You should be able to find a serial number, on the torque tube flange at about a 45ยบ angle, to horizontal, ahead of the clutch compartment, in the last inch of the torque tube, carb side, about a foot from the carb, if that makes sense.  If not, google serial number location, AC D-14.

Yours is from the era of cleared companion equipment, AC was in a partnership with Henry MFG, Topeka, KS.  Later AC bought out Henry.

As for the shuttle shift, in a machine as old as this, yours could have parts off of several, cobbled together tractors, of varying vintages.  Both the shuttle clutch and power director clutch  are interchangeable, and its possible that someone swapped out one for the other, throughout the years.  Might even be original, IDK!  Good luck, HTHWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Bob Thompson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:18pm
After I posted I found my Allis Chalmers Data Book by Terry Dean. According to that the shuttle shift was an available option on the D-14 Industrial tractors so that seems to be correct. I had already looked up the serial number, it is a 1958.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 6:21am
The shuttle was an option on the D-14/15/17 or the power director could be converted to a shuttle by the dealer. My neighbor converted a D-15II. Your D-14 forklift is defiantly a Henry as was stated above and is likely an original. A-C listed Henry as a supplier of approved companion equipment.  
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic