This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Throttle / governor problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill in NELA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 3:54pm
The bearing is on the end of the carrier and the fork lever is riding on the bearing surface.

Andy, when I got my tractor home I had to adjust the throttle to gov rod by repositioning the lever at the carb to where it would fit into the gov rod.  As you did.  After I got the right length, I tighten it and set the set screw.  It has been checked several times since and it had not moved.  Did you set it as stated in the manual?  Or did you make it shorter?
Sponsored Links

Bill in NELA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill in NELA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 4:04pm
My carb is after market that has the lever to adjust to fit.  With throttle wide open, I moved the carb lever to wide open and adusted the rod to fit.  That is the the way the manual says to adjust.  Since it an after market carb is it adjusted different?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 4:33pm
So, let's start all over again. If you have an adjustable lever on the carb throttle shaft, this is the problem. Remove the link rod from the governor vertical arm and the carb throttle shaft lever and set it off to the side. Adjust/position this carb throttle shaft lever so when it is pushed rearward as far as it can go, the lever is at 4 o'clock and no more than 4 o'clock. At this point the throttle butterfly should be straight up and fully open. DO NOT CHANGE THIS ADJUSTMENT EVER AGAIN !!  Engine off. Throttle wide open. Reconnect the carb link rod. It's length should be just long enough to fit between the vertical governor arm and the carb throttle shaft lever that is now at 4 o'clock. I mean it has to be exactly able to slide in the holes !!    1/8" too long is HUGE.  If it is too long, bend it how ever you want to shorten it up to the correct length. Now, that this is done correctly, if the hand throttle doesn't idle the engine down fully or go wide open fully, adjust the linkage from under the fuel tank to achieve what you want. DO NOT CHANGE THE CARB LINK ROD !!!  Be sure to use a short cotter pin at the carb link rod hole and bend it fully so it cannot ever get in the way of catching on anything.

Edited by DrAllis - 03 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill in NELA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 4:39pm
Thanks DrAllis

Thanks for the information.  I will tackle it in the AM.  Sure it works.

Bill
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill in NELA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 7:02pm
Went out after supper and made the changes.  It works fine.

Thanks DrAllis and all the others that had helped

Bill

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:38pm
So....in the end while telling all about what was what,you failed to mention the funky aftermarket carb with adjustable lever and that was the problem. No wonder it took so long to figure out. Some things make a difference.
AllisD17AndyOk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD17AndyOk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 12:16am
Steve, don't be too hard on poor Bill, he did mention in his Jul. 1 post at 6:11 that his carb had the adjustable throttle linkage. I think we all failed a little in reading comprehension, I know I failed to notice and I was trying to determine if his was aftermarket as mine was. I should've picked up on that. But all's well that ends well... Andy
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 6:44am
This subject and Traction Booster linkage and stuck TB plungers need to be in the "Knowledge" section with good pictures. Seems as tho this knowledge would be helpful and it ain't in the knowledge section.
AllisD17AndyOk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD17AndyOk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:30am
DrAllis, I fully agree with that...I've only had my D17 a few weeks, and just now getting that tractor somewhere.   I have done so many little things to get it where I want, looking forward with tredictions to when I get my 4-14 snap coupler hooked on it this fall. I can only wonder what I'm gonna have to do to the draft booster before it works correctly, but I have read previous threads on this and I hope I can work it out.   I thank you and Mack and the others who have guided me along the way (I knew that was the choke, wasn't thinking when I typed) Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic