This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7030 Trans/Rear End Leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02tyglassburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7030 Trans/Rear End Leaking
    Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:01am
I have a 7030 tractor that I bought about a year ago and ever since I bought it I’ve noticed a pretty good leak coming from underneath the cab on the the transmission. There is hydraulic oil running down both sides of the transmission and I took out the floor of the cab to see if I could try and find where the leak was coming from and the whole top of the trans and part of the rear end was covered in a very thick layer of grease, making it almost impossible to troubleshoot, which makes me believe whatever has been leaking has been leaking for a while. The dipstick inside the cab shows that the oil level is 1.5x to 2x higher than what it should be. I plan to remove the cab to pressure wash all the grease off the top and sides of the transmission and rear end to make it easier to locate any leaks. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be leaking or suggestions of where to look for leaks?   Also has anyone else had this problem and is it an easy fix? My theory is that the previous owner over filled the transmission with oil and that it is leaking out the top cover of the trans, but like I said I’m not exactly sure what it is that is leaking or what could be causing the problem.. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be very helpful and much appreciated.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 4:02am
You have to be adding oil to the rear end ??? checking the sight glasses for proper oil level ???  You say the trans is overfull, but do not say where you are adding oil. I'd guess the line to the 3 pt hitch cylinder is leaking/cracked even if you aren't using the hitch it can leak holding the arms up all the time.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:36am
I'm going to guess the fill tube is loose or cracked at top of transmission housing.        MACK
02tyglassburn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02tyglassburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:39pm
For as long as I have owned the tractor (which is about a year) I haven't had to add any hydraulic oil to the tractor at all. Like I said, the tractor does leak a fair amount of oil from somewhere under the cab on top of the trans, but for as long as I have owned it, the trans has always showed that it is way overfull, which is why I’ve never had to add oil even though it does leak. I also frequently check the sight glass on the rear end of the tractor and it shows that there is oil and it is full. I’ve never added oil to the rear end either. Granted I don’t use the tractor much except for a little bit in the spring and summer for tillage and planting my 160 acres, so it doesn’t have a lot of run time for hyd. oil to leak out.
lowell66dart View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowell66dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:42pm
Did you actually pull the sightglass and clean/verify the level. Seems odd to have an external leak and not have to add???
AC 6080 (8030,7060,200,175,D-17HC, 6040,160,6140 all gone) Farmall 1066 & 656 Hi-Clear (for sale), White 2-62 High Clearance, JD 4255 Hi Clear.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:38pm
Time for a new pair of sight glasses. You are losing oil and it has to be from the rear end/hydraulic system, unless it was gallons overfull too ?? Rear end oil is checked with the engine shut off for 20 minutes and sitting on a level surface. Keep it full or you'll have troubles inside.

Edited by DrAllis - 02 May 2020 at 8:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic