This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Hill Cranes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Hill Cranes
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:30pm
Has anyone noticed an increased # of these cranes in your area? Recently they've been flying(low-to the-ground) across the roads from 1 field to another. I don't recall ever seeing so many grazing all types of fields Geek.
Sponsored Links

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:48pm
Had a big flock of them high overhead last week.  My farm is right on their migration route so they're here in this area in the spring and again in the fall when they're headin south. Big flocks often stop to feed in the field to the west of the house and sometimes on takeoff from there, they'll fly so low they just clear the roof of the house.   Magnificent sight at close range, but it drives the dogs nuts!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:42pm
Have them here all summer! ---they live in the river here by the house.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:46pm
had a cabbage farmer tell me they taste like chicken
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:27pm
they'll also dig up and eat the seed that we all plant! tears the heck outta planted fields
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 3:56am
I watched a special about them on "Nature" I believe it was.
The one thing that stuck in my head was the statement made that the majority of what most people think are geese, flying overhead hollering, are not geese, but in fact sand hill cranes.
That being said, around here, the majority of what I think are geese are in fact geese, as they set down on the neighbors ponds.
At Barren River Lake, between Glasgow and Scottsville Kentucky, such huge migratory herds of them stop there that it is a huge tourist attraction with tours and everything. 
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 6:41am
This year around here I don't remember any coming through, but we had geese all over the place that stayed the winter, snows and canadians. 

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 6:51am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

they'll also dig up and eat the seed that we all plant! tears the heck outta planted fields
They'll also rip seedling/shoots out of the ground and leave 'em there just for spite!Angry
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:06am
I heard Michigan is planning a season on them.  I guess they are tasty!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:07am
We have had Sand Hill Cranes here for many years. Yes they will pull corn out and go right up the row. DNR gives control permits to farmers to shoot them causing crop damage. I have a pair here every year and they raise one chick. Neighbor kid asked me one time what kind of birds they were when he heard the rooster crowing. I said Dinosaur Birds or Teradactyl's some people say,but to me they're Sand Hill Cranes!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

I watched a special about them on "Nature" I believe it was.
The one thing that stuck in my head was the statement made that the majority of what most people think are geese, flying overhead hollering, are not geese, but in fact sand hill cranes.
That being said, around here, the majority of what I think are geese are in fact geese, as they set down on the neighbors ponds.
At Barren River Lake, between Glasgow and Scottsville Kentucky, such huge migratory herds of them stop there that it is a huge tourist attraction with tours and everything. 
Seems like cranes fly ALOT higher than geese ?? Just my observation Smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic