This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harbor freight engine hoist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor freight engine hoist
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:15pm
Thinking about buying one to help pull the D 15 final drive . Anybody have one ? Can you use a coupon ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:33pm

Go on line, they have a 20% off on first item.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=engine%20hoist

Edited by Gary - 28 Apr 2020 at 4:35pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:48pm
Are you thinking Gantry or the Three point contact Shop Crane? I have both in my shop(Gantry I Built). Other than building support cradles on wheels or rails I would only use a Gantry style.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:52pm
Foldable shop crane is what I'm thinking about . Thanks guys
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:23pm
Final drives dont weigh much. I have use one on my B tractors.. They have small and larger units. Some will lift 2000 #......... some are 4000 pounds .  Either will do a final dr.

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Apr 2020 at 6:26pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:31pm
Yeah , we borrowed a 1ton last time . It worked fine
Thanks
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
I’ve had one for over 20 years. I bent the top/boom lifting the whole front end up on a Chevy one ton. Made a new one out of thicker square tube. I’ve used it for everything imaginable.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:19pm
I got the 2 ton from Northern tool because it was on sale for $210 at the time and comes with the load leveler (highly recommend getting one of those). Both it and the Harbor Freight 2 ton looked very, very similar with a few tweaks.

I've been using mine to tear my WD apart. I wish it had maybe 6" more reach (so it would've been easier to pull the engine with the front wheels/tires on) but I could probably make a new extension tube like Thad mentioned out of thicker material and still be safe for things less than 1/2 ton.

You should have no problem with reach getting at final drives so the 2 ton would probably be overkill... But it's nice to use for pulling engines because it has better height and at full reach still lifts 1/2 ton.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 5:53am
I'll probably get the 2 ton . Still not sure if I can use a 20% off coupon . Thanks !
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 6:06am
I had both sides off 'Troy', my #1 D-14 last month.. one at a time ! I finally replaced the diff carrier seals so NOW I have a left brake after 20 years.
Even with a special 'lifter', 2 chaine hoists, overhead beam and a comealong... it was a challenge to get  the FD lined up perfectly to slide on. Couple extra hands might have helped...It'd be nice to see how the factory did it though !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 6:25am
That is why prefer the Gantry, can add distance or set up diagonally, hoist off two points and roll hoist down the beam, small adjustments are more easily made.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 6:29pm
I used mine to pull the right rear off my serries 4 when I replaced the brakes. Not a problem at all. Remove the tire first.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 6:50pm
sometimes if i need a GUIDE, i remove one of the bolts or studs and install a piece of all thread 3-4 inches longer than the other studs... guide it onto THAT stud first, then it is easier to hit the other 3 ... Have not done that on the finals, but on bell housings it works great !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:04am
Harbor freight is sold out of all shop cranes . Plan B . One of my final drive fasteners was a bolt . Of course it was on the bottom . I cut the head off a long bolt and have it in there now . Should also help as a guide . Kinda messy . Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:20am
park under a beam in the barn/ garage... I have done that with a comealong... In a pinch, the drive does not weigh 400#... make a small A frame out of 2 x 4s and use a comealong to lift / slide it off.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 9:25am
Thanks Steve . My brother has one I can borrow . He just lives about 50 miles from me . I was wondering about how much the final drive weighed . Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic