This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey - chicken contracts getting pulled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey - chicken contracts getting pulled
    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:46pm
Rumor is Butterball is terminating contracts around here, along with chicken contracts out of our county,, thats a huge hit for the close economy- one guy just sunk 2.5 million in a set up and now has nothing to put in the buildings ,, sad deal
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:56pm
why ?  people still eat ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 2:03pm
I know thats what I thought,  ive just heard of this - trying to get more info
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 2:10pm
Funny these Corps can pull this stuff. But if you want out or have problems securing feed ect. due to the CoVid, they want your farm or you owe them money. Gonna have to watch which Corps. stand up for the farmers and which ones Crap on em, and let it be known to all I know.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 3:15pm
Let's hope this is only a temporary thing having to do with the closing of processing faculties because of a shortage of workers.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 3:21pm
I don't know how it is there or with Butterball but with our contract Pilgrim can't just pull out without we've done something to break the contract. They can leave but they would have to pay compensation.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 3:38pm
Im sure theres more to it , they cant just let you high and dry,, 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 4:02pm
Farmers are our backbone, we don't eat we don't survive. I sure as heck hope this is being looked at seriously. It is not just a simple 9 to 5 pay check. Smaller farmers have always gotten my support as they really do come through. And Tyler you have my support as I can tell you are a hard working American, I will stand up and vote for your survival.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I don't know how it is there or with Butterball but with our contract Pilgrim can't just pull out without we've done something to break the contract. They can leave but they would have to pay compensation.

Thumbs Up
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 5:03pm
Good to hear, I will pay more, as long as the Farmer Is Not Screwed.  You guy's let me know if and when it is necessary to boycott and voice why to the Corporations. As they always play the game, and not nesacerly have you in mind.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 5:34pm
A lot of food suppliers are having issues. Even the potato companies. They have to much inventory for the large consumer ie restaurants, schools ectra and not enough for the small family consumer. Now they can't properly staff to repackage because of distancing and what not
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 5:49pm
Can't be that hard to repackage and resell. If I cant get potatoes for $2-3 lb , what is going on. Forced economic beak down?
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 6:36pm
We are under attack by our own government sure looks that way. Until we start standing up for our rights they will keep right on doing it. Randy
bryani289swmi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryani289swmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:22am
Back in the late 1990’s Sara Lee closed the turkey slaughter plant in Michigan. By contract they bought out everyone according to the agreement, some guys had coops they had put up just a year before and had only put a couple batches of birds through. The farms turned out well on the agreement. Thanks.

Bryan
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollowpoints explode on impact.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 2:58pm
Doug have you heard anything else? I have heard of some temporary plant closures around here due to the virus and sales being down but nothing permanent. Mostly it's the plants that supply fast food. And thanks guys for your support. I'll get back if I hear anything about this
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:28pm
Fast Foods? They fry the Chit out that stuff in production, then it gets deep fried again. The problem would be with handlers that serve you, and if they can understand English enough for proper food handling, and I'm not saying just immigrants, we have college educated that are as clueless as a rock. We need to make sure as a country that a worker does not feel the need to work sick, but also make sure they are not playing the system. I know this is easier said than done when there so are many scammers out there. I will continue to buy the stuff from my store that is considered fast food, the same as you would get from the drive thru minus the idiots that don't care. (Not that all don't care, just a lot of em in the cities here don't, where I am stuck for the time being).
ERRGGHH!!!!

Edited by chaskaduo - 26 Apr 2020 at 4:40pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Dad says when he was a kid my great grandma told him you will see a day when people starve to death with bushel baskets full of money.

It's kinda happening in a way. Maybe not bushels of money but credit cards. The people that are so far removed from the farm and depend on big companies an gov to feed them.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:46pm
Mom used to tell me a loaf of bread will be a denarius.

Edited by chaskaduo - 26 Apr 2020 at 4:47pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:55pm
I cant find anything about Butterball on the internet.. No new news ?  as BOSS said, some of the PACKAGING is getting to be a problem as Schools and Restaurants buy in 100# bags and pallets... Not the same as grocery stores... Other than that, have not heard.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:06pm
what's a denarius?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:48pm
It's in the Bible.....
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 6:50am
de·nar·i·us
/dəˈnerēəs/
Learn to pronounce
noun
an ancient Roman silver coin, originally worth ten asses.
a unit of weight equal to that of a silver denarius.
an ancient Roman gold coin worth 25 silver denarii.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:36am
No local news or rumors but did see where Seaboard Foods , Butterballs 50 % owner lost 21 million on them last year-

Edited by DougG - 27 Apr 2020 at 8:45am
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 5:22pm
Woooow. That's a chunk of change.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

No local news or rumors but did see where Seaboard Foods , Butterballs 50 % owner lost 21 million on them last year-

Wink Nobody going to convert that to denarius for me.LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:22am
Chicken Feed. (just being silly)

Edited by chaskaduo - 28 Apr 2020 at 11:22am
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:31pm
When this crud expanded you could see where food supplies were not considered, plus the fact that processors for some foodstuffs were set up for x-amount institutional and x-amount consumer packaging and we were gonna get into trouble.
My brother takes the dairy products delivered to his school and delivers them as purchased under contract, with a school mini van. Many of those kids get their best meal of the day while at schooland management approved of these home deliveries as they were bound to the purchasing contracts anyway. Let them know what time it was coming and left it on their doorsteps so no direct contact.
Makes a fella wonder why someone in the gov't. did not see this coming as packagers said they could not increase their consumer packaging enough because of a lack of that type of  equipment.
Could the institutional size packages be delivered to the food banks where they could have worked right out of the back of the large reefer truck? Divide it up and tell participants that they had to bring their own containers and work off st./stl. work benches as it came out of the reefers? No, not always practical but you would think at least milk, cheeses, butter and yogurt could be divided up safely/efficiently as ambient temps are still somewhat cool as compared to peak summer temps.
Meat issues with workers at the plants is entirely different but it seems they could have gotten in front of the dairy products vs. dumping.
Seems lines for food at the food banks are quite long and it would not take very long to empty a reefer if it was organised.
Vent/rant over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic