This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large Trucks, Air brakes, air systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large Trucks, Air brakes, air systems
    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:36pm
Greetings all,
I am at a point where I need some help from the collective mind of the crew here.  I have a Kenworth T300 straight truck that has three 8"x26" air tanks to run the brakes, and the airbag suspension.  One of the tanks has rusted through and is leaking.  I threw some JB weld on it in order to limp through the next few days, but I want to repair this.  

I have replaced all of these tanks at least once before.  They are located right under the Drivers step, behind the front wheels, so they get a lot of road spray.  Salt is killing them.  I would love to replace them with aluminum to avoid the rust problem.  

Here is my dilema/question.  I can find aluminum tanks that are the same price as the steel tanks from Kenworth.  However, all the aluminum tanks have bungs on the long side of the tank, where as all of my tanks have them holes on the ends.  I don't have the room to put hoses into the tanks in these locations.  So I have thought of a few alternatives, and I was hoping you all might provide some insight.  

Option 1: Buy a new steel tank from Kenworth for $390.  Paint the tank and strap  in POR-15.  Install.  Then when the next tank leaks, repeat the process.  

Option 2: Buy a new aluminum tank(s) and place the tanks in a different location to allow for the fitting of the hoses.  If I do this, Can I change the volume of the tanks.  My three tanks make about 15 gallons air.  Can I go to 12 gallons?  Is there a way to calculate how much I need to have in capacity?  I only have brakes, and airbags.  No air horn, or other systems.  

Option 3: Find Aluminum tanks that fit into the location, and drill/tap new fittings onto the ends and plug the fittings on the sides to make it fit like factory (or find someone to custom make the tanks.  

Option 4: Something I haven't thought of yet.  

Thank you all,

John
Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:51pm
#1 could you paint them in rhino liner or some kind of bed liner? I think it would hold up better than the POR-15.
#2 I would assume the reason for three tanks is one is considered a wet tank, one is a primary tank and one is a secondary tank. For these reasons you probably should stick with three tanks. If you opted to buy the aluminum tanks I would go to the trouble to replumb the air lines the correct way.
#4 Is it possible to fabricate a shield to keep the spray off the tanks? But you also have to have it where you can wash the tanks off regularly and preferably without having to remove anything to access the tanks.
Also what kind of truck is this? Is it a straight truck with long frame rails where you could change the air tank locations? Also check around on other T-300s and see how the tanks are configured.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 10:38pm
DO NOT!! I repeat, DO NOT, down size the tanks! If anything go a litte bigger. Downsizing the tanks reduces the amount of air available for your brakes. Less air and you will experience brake fade, especially if you have an ABS system and have to use them.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:28am
My 1997 Freightliner has it's tanks mounted inside the frame rails but the same model (FL70) my neighbor owns has the tanks under the passenger side door.  The truck came from Boston, Mass some years ago and still has what looks like the original equipment.  Can you find some used tanks out of a parted out truck from the south or west?   
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 6:37am
yeesh.. $390 for a 5 gallon air tank ? man, I need to start making/selling them !!!! even at 1/2 the price, I could retire in 3-4 years.....

Ok, the simple, easy solution... buy the steel tanks as they fit/plumb properly.
Wash(degrease),scuff, epoxy primer, epoxy paint them and new straps. be SURE the paint is properly cured, then install. ADD a 'spray deflector' but leave a good 1-2" gap,more if you need to access the tanks.

The 'trick' is to have super clean,scuffed steel surface and a TOUGH paint. epoxy or ureathane. Bedliner 'paint' might work, but the key is 'prep', you don't want ANY cracks in the finish.
When bolting them up , use flat washers under the bolt head and nut,keeps from chipping finish when tightening .
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:07am
Your area may use a more corrosive salt than other places; but, I believe if I had air tanks rusting through that I would change where I was buying my tanks.
We may have to swap a dozen tanks next week; but, in all my many years of driving just about every kind of truck imaginable and most of them what would be considered old by most people's standards -- old is better --, I cannot remember ever having an air tank to rust through.
Are you sure they are not rusting from the inside out ?

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:57am
While dumpster diving, I tought of a nice solution....
Get some 8" well casing steel or other 1/4" thick pipe. Cut some 1/4" discs, weld to ends, drill holes for air fittings as required,  copying existing tanks.
There is NO way they should rust in your lifetime....
I've got 2 pieces here, from my dive...seemed too good to pass up.

I can see them rusting OUT. All the TV shows about frozen air lines cause truckers fail to dry the air before going into the tanks, same thing happens to air compressors in shops...

Johnwilson_osf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:21pm
Thank you all.
The tank rusted from the outside in.  I can tell for two reasons. First, it was the lead tank, so it took the main brunt of spray from the left steer tire.  Second, when I got it off, the inside of the tank looked as clean as the day I put it on there.  The steel is thin, and the coating they put on it is junk.  
Because I needed my truck on the road right away, I got a replacement tank from Kenworth.  I brought it home, and cleaned it real well, then removed much of the coating, and then cleaned it again.  I primed the tank, and when that was ready, I sprayed the tank with undercarriage coating.  The tank has a thick rubber layer on it now.  When it was dry, I felt like I could drop it on the floor and it would have bounced.  

Now that the truck is running, I can keep my eyes open for a stainless or aluminum tank(s) to replace these, and fix the problem for ever.  

Thank you,
John
Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:11pm
re: I felt like I could drop it on the floor and it would have bounced.

LOLLOL

Look for stainless NOT aluminum....
Salt will attack the aluminum and corrode it ( whilte powdery stuff...)
Also use ALL SS hardware if you use a SS tank.... all steel HW if a steel tank.
This will minimize the 'battery effect' or electrolysis that'll eat away the 'weaker' metal.
2 different metals + salt water = a battery......

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:30pm
I would get new tanks and use epoxy paint on them. Old gal bought some of it for this tiny home she thinks I am working on. That stuff is tough. I might buy some and paint this dang ferd the old gal bought. Maybe parts would stop falling off of it ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic