This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

smokers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: smokers
    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:24pm
I've had every kind of smoker made, and have even made some for others, and my present choice out of all of them is my electric smoker. set it, walk away, but know your times, both in summer and winter. I have access to numerous fruit trees that have to be removed. apple/cherry. even tho I like the electric unit, it does take a lot of juice to operate. sooooooooo...i'm thunking about getting another smoker (wood fired) to cook on for a few years. been looking at the offset smokers. anyone have them? can you post likes/dislikes on them? I used to have a wood fired smoker, but it was a small bullet looking thing. it did o-k, but you had to tend it often.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:57am

Hey Good Buddy,,,it good hearing from you again,,,,,Clap You just don't get on here as often as you need to ,,,,,,what??you tryin to ease out of here like ole Les done,,,????
 I sure miss ole les and his humorous ways,,,,are ya listenin,,Leslie,,,????

Anyway on the smokers thing,,I used to have an electric model and while they are sorta less labor intensive than the wood fired models,,the two I had never did get hot enough for good smokin,,,,,I had a home made  offset with the vertical cooking chamber and I really like'ed it as the meat gets more "uniform" smoke as it RISES from level to level with the outlet at the highest level. I currently have a big Smoky Mountain offset that I added a piece of 1/8" metal plate in the cooking chamber with slots cut in it for better heat and smoke distribution from the area next to the heat inlet  all the way to back side of cooking chamber. It now works better than when new,,altho you still have to rotate the meat from front to back to keep from burning the meat.
 The absolute most necessary requirement for any smoker is temperature regulation that is determined by how "Air Tight" the smoker is and the thickness of the material used to make it,,!! Don't waste your money on those models made of metal so thin it almost feels like beer can material with gaps bigger than chit,,,!! Those are made for the Yuppie group that will try to smoke once and then leave it on the back porch to rust away,,,,WinkWink One of the best models I've seen is "The Big Green Egg" ,,thet sob is insulated with cast refractory bout 1/2" thick and the whole thing is very heavy,,My 2nd oldest Son has one and he tells me he wouldn't have anything else,!!  BUT,,,that sob cost him like $770,, and guaranteed for life,,,,!! He uses it every other week,,!! Hope this helps,,,,Clap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:13am
The best store bought is an Oklahoma Joe’s for an offset.
I’ve also heard great things about the green egg.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:22am

Yeah,,Thad,,the last Cook-Off we had here,,I saw 3 of those Oklahoma Joes in competition and two of the Smoky Mountain like I got. Most of the others were some custom made smokers that prolly were in the thousands of dollars,,,but were ALL offsets,,,,!!Clap There were some units there that prolly cost as much as my house,,,,!!LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:51am
Handles 8,000lbs of meat or.

Edited by chaskaduo - 31 Mar 2020 at 7:52am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:31am

Gosh,,,Chask,,I just don't see HOW that monstrocity could even hope to work,,,,unless it has multiple fireboxes spaced thru out the whole thing,,,Dang,,can you imagine trying to keep that thing fed,,,,????WinkWink
  When I was doing a job in Wilburton, Oklahoma, there was a dude that had built one out of an oilfield propane tank that was 20 Ft long and 4Ft diameter,,,,!! He added two fireboxes, one at each end and a big outlet pipe at the center of tank We stopped and visited with him for bout an hour and he told us he would volunteer some Deer meat, briskets and pork shoulders to the Senior center 3-4 times a year and they would volunteer some of the seniors to keep up the wood supply and moving meats,,,!!!!LOL Think he said the tank material was like 3/4" thick so,,once you got it hot,,,it stayed hot,,but the BIG JOB was to keep rotating the meats from end to end,,,,
 That guy wound up giving us a pickup load of Good, Good azzed Oklahoma Oak!!!!ClapClap
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:46am
I'll bet the driver has a lot of smoked foods in the freezer, fridge and the cold storage place down the road. Lots of permits, EPA regs, and reporting to deal with to.

Edited by chaskaduo - 31 Mar 2020 at 9:47am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:52am
I'll guess your not interested in a pellet grill then? Since you have access to fruit wood. Otherwise, we use a Green Mountain  pellet grill and have been very happy with it. Has Bluetooth so we can monitor while doing other stuff. Use it way more than any other grill we ever had.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

I'll guess your not interested in a pellet grill then? Since you have access to fruit wood. Otherwise, we use a Green Mountain  pellet grill and have been very happy with it. Has Bluetooth so we can monitor while doing other stuff. Use it way more than any other grill we ever had.

You ever use one of those smoke tubes? They smoke cheese without melting it.👍👍👍
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:15pm
Haven't tried it yet. It's on the list.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:47pm
I use one of the A-maze-n-pellet smoker units. Works really good for me.

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:24pm
yeah...not interested in the pellet ones. know lots of folks that have them and they hafta deal with humidity a lot in the pellets. humid won't let the pellets feed right. and I don't have anything with blue tooth. I do like the Ok Joe's smoker, but will study others more too. I do have a brand new electric smoker I bought on sale last year, still in the box cuz my other smoker ain't quit working yet. also not interested in any wally world ones either, i'm sure what ever I buy will be expensive, but what isn't anymore? I don't have enough electric where my new outdoor kitchen is unless I have another line put in. I would like to get the smoker closer to the building.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:20pm

The thing I .like bout them Green Egg smokers is the really small footprint they take up and in your outdoor kitchen,,might just be the trick for you,,,,Clap
 I really like my Smoky Mountain for trouble free and minimal time tending to the temperature but thet sob is like almost 8 ft long,,,!!!! and heavy,,,,
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:35pm
I have a pit boss up-right pellet smoker, and I really like it. First smoker I had used charcoal briquettes for the heat, and then I would add hardwood to get the smoke. made the best tasting food, but really needed babysitting to maintain heat. Tried an electric. Got rid of the babysitting, but electric heat doesn't produce much flavor (and yes I did add hardwood a few times during cooking). Then I went to the pellet smoker. Don't have to babysit it and get wood heat. Win win. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic