This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would you think

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you think
    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:45pm
Hi everyone.
Want to take hood off 200 to fix cracks around air intake pipe with a stiffener plate. Would it look bad if we painted the hood an grill stuff but not the rest. It has a yearround cab and fenders that's not allis orange. And engine and stuff isn't to bad.
Paint hood side panels an grill with new decals or no.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:57pm
I think it would be fine to paint it and decal it then do the cab later on. When I bought my 200 it looked so rough I bought new decal set and put on it to make me feel better when I looked at it. Still haven’t gotten around to painting it yet lol
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:53am
I had IH 574 once and i painted the hood and nose cone i went to a plowing match and  someone asked if i had run out of money to finish it Wink
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:01am
yeah, you'll start with 'just the hood'... and well, 'I'll do the grille' and might as well 'spruce up......
 best go by another 200 NOW.....
we'll want pictures of your progress...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:21am
Do what you want its your tractor.No prizes awarded at least not the ones that count($$$$$$)
for the way a tractor looks.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:33am
I have committed similar sins. Just not to that scale. It looks a bit mottled but I'm reminded of that old song "One piece at a time". Every time I take something apart I want to paint it.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:55am
My 8070 has good looking side panels. Cab faded orange but the top panel over engine is close to white. Doesn't show from the ground so I get by. It's a lot of work to paint one right....
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:53am
Mikes, if you’re after originality, try repairing its intake area of hood from its underside. If any welding burns thru topside, just try sanding those spots out & do touch ups. After touching up, try a thorough rubbing compound over entire older original paint. That usually brings back a decent paint luster.
If tractor is a daily user, then painting its grill with new paint now may fade back to looking more original over a year or so?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

I have committed similar sins. Just not to that scale. It looks a bit mottled but I'm reminded of that old song "One piece at a time". Every time I take something apart I want to paint it.

Did I hear a request?

[TUBE]18cW_yHo3PY[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:32pm
I have several units with some parts fixed and painted. Its almost in style! Some folks actually go for that look. 

Shows you care, just not that much!:)

We need pictures! 
I like the idea your going to repair something that need fixed. As jay said dont let it get out of control. Some of us go over the edge when we smell and see fresh paint!

some examples:

The WZ with Nic's wheels. (its going to get its own fancy painted wheels with new tires soon)

Our early D17 with new repaired, painted grill, repaired painted lights, and front wheels, Remaining is in its work clothes.

Our (off color) IH 1954 TD6:
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Mar 2020 at 6:36pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:52pm

The planter I bought off HD6GTOM

One wheel so far

For the LoBoy

Edited by plummerscarin - 28 Mar 2020 at 7:55pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:54pm
Those look good to me.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:44pm
I don't seem to have any current pictures. We haven't gotten it out yet, thought we were this week. Was still messing with D17. I will update this with picture when we get her out.
Thanks
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

Hi everyone.
Want to take hood off 200 to fix cracks around air intake pipe with a stiffener plate. Would it look bad if we painted the hood an grill stuff but not the rest. It has a yearround cab and fenders that's not allis orange. And engine and stuff isn't to bad.
Paint hood side panels an grill with new decals or no.
Thanks

All intake pipes coming through the hood should have had reinforcing rings under the hood.  The thin sheet metal of the hood weakens as the stack vibrates - hence the cracks you have.  When we restored our 175, we made a couple of stiffening rings out of 1/8" steel.  Made them a good size to increase the surface area and sandwiched the 2 of them together.  We used panel bond to secure them to the underside of the hood - she doesn't vibrate now!

If the paint on the tractor is very faded, a freshly painted hood will stick out.  The previous owner of my D21 painted the hood and nothing else.  See for yourself.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 8:05am
the parking brake doesn't work, do you get to it with hood off. Anyone know what's the common issue to look for. Thanks
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:38am
If I remember the last time I worked on one........ 25 years ago or more, and it was a 200, the linkage was rusted up. I think I just took right rear side panel off near the park brake lever.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 12:23pm
Interesting thread as I am going to sand blast my hood, fix my grill and fuel tank on my WD and paint those parts. Can’t stand not having decals on my hood. Already bought the decal kit, just need to find the time to do it. She has some leaks that need to be fixed before the rest gets painted.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 12:24pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 2:15pm
On the parking brake issue first check the little roll pin in the hadle that holds it to the shaft. then take off the  right side rear panel and you and on a 200  they have an extra filler plate under the hood for sound and heat you will have to wiggle out of the way. There you will find a ratchet tooth piece and a little dog piece that sets the brakes. Check the teeth and if they are ok the little dog looses its edge take that off and grind a new edge on it or replace it I have even made a replacement when needed.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 2:29pm
Brings to mind   using the 3 word game Wink

[TUBE]h7I_9MMcWvk[/TUBE]Coat of many colors
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic