This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear noise and oil type

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear noise and oil type
    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:19pm
Hello all. I rebuilt my allis wd 2 or 3 years ago. Mild build for a stock class puller and also fixed a noisy second gear. Used a shaft from a wd power unit by grandpa had that was never really used due to being a power unit and gears were like new. After mixing the two shafts I have had a horrible gear noise, loud enough to hear over the straight pipe. It was filled with 80w90 and I see alot of people using hy translation.

Im wondering if the lighter oil will lighten up some of the noise and also if the gears will break in and get quiet er. The only quiet gear is road gear which is straight through aka direct drive. Thanks
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:09am
Oil will make no difference. Wear-in time will take years and need to be on a plow. I think you have two gears that don't like each other and if it is in ALL gears except 4th, it is the input shaft gear to the front countershaft gear, or a bearing related to those two gears.

Edited by DrAllis - 28 Mar 2020 at 7:10am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:48am
....and just so you know,NO WD transmission is quiet
NE GA Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NE GA Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:08pm
My transmission is relatively quiet. I can here the final drives over the transmission most of the time. 

Most likely the problem is mix and matching the gears from one transmission to another. Each gear wore differently in each transmission and when the gears were swapped you now have non-matching worn surfaces contacting each other.
Keeping Allis alive with:
2 B’s, 1 C, 6 CA’s, 2 WD’s,
1 WD45, 3 D15D’s, 1 D17

NE GA Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NE GA Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
The other thought on my WD being fairly quiet:
When I filled the transmission, before I poured it in, I mixed in a little Moly(black) grease for EP/sliding surfaces and some regular multi-purpose grease to thicken up the 85w-140 gear oil.

In my experience with oils, especially motor oil, todays oils are thinner viscosity physically, even though the numbers (ratings) haven't changed.

Proof of that is I can go buy a standard 20W-50 quart from the parts store and compare it to a 20W-50 racing motor oil(called race oil now just because the racers predominately use it) that is of similar makeup of stuff you could get back in the sixties and seventies and it is thicker, even though they are both rated at 20W-50.
Keeping Allis alive with:
2 B’s, 1 C, 6 CA’s, 2 WD’s,
1 WD45, 3 D15D’s, 1 D17

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:54pm
Every straight stick WD I was around was noisy. Have you had the top off the tranny just to make sure 1 of the gears isn't being chewed up?
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 3:51pm
Years ago I had the same trouble mixing gears in a green tractor, they looked good but like Doc said didn't like each other. I agree with HD6 that you should look in there to make sure it's not self distructing cuz you put something in wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic