This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Pump and Drawbar Control Repairs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 3:11pm
More disassembly this morning. Here's what's out of the pump thus far:

I've laid everything out in exactly the order it came out of the pump - no parts have jumped across the shop yet!

Couple of things I could use some help with. First, here's the the scene with the control valve cover off and the inner (smaller diameter) parts of the control valve assembly removed. Note the area marked in red:

How is the outer part of the control valve assembly removed? This is the other end of this assembly:

The red arrow is pointing to the outer part of the control valve assembly.

And how are the parts inside the bore circled in yellow removed? Hunt4Allis says they all come out......just a little concerned about trying to drive them out.

Any hints would be happily accepted! And thanks for your help.

Stay well and safe.
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 29 Mar 2020 at 3:35pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm
I have ordered the set of gaskets from Sandy Lake.

Also talked with Bill in the service area about some of my questions. He thinks that the original problem (slow rising arms on cold start) was being caused by low oil level.

I know that I was leaking oil from the drawbar control unit - and likely also from the tranny oil plug. When I drained the tranny, I noticed that oil had been leaking at the drain plug, probably due to a worn crush washer. So the next steps are to put the pump back together once I get the new gaskets and to replace the crush washer.

Started reassembling the pump by cleaning up the surface that mates to the drawbar control:

Hopefully this will all go well!

Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 30 Mar 2020 at 4:54pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:36pm
Thanks to cdsloop's post on Hunt4Allis's CA Hydraulic Pump thread, I located and drained the differential drain plug this afternoon. Needless to say, this is the first time that's been done since I bought this tractor in 2007. The oil that came out was not too ugly!

I bought new crush washers at the local NAPA shop and installed all three drain plugs. Not a big deal, though I got to practice my contortionist skills when installing the differential plug. Started cleaning the accumulated oil/dirt/grease that has accumulated all over the SC hitch system over the years. Hopefully I've cured the oil leaks that have fueled the accumulation of the gunk!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:12pm
Dave I know what you mean, because the rear of my tractor is so covered in oil and junk that I think it would take me an entire day to clean all of it off (which I may get to do depending on how long I'm off work)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Dave I know what you mean, because the rear of my tractor is so covered in oil and junk that I think it would take me an entire day to clean all of it off (which I may get to do depending on how long I'm off work)
 LOLLOL

Took me 20 minutes to clean up after I came in from the shop!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm
Hey Dave once I realized that I was not removing the farthest forward plug I did so and the same milky nasty-looking oil came out!
so I think I finally found the reason why I could not clean up my oil...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:27pm
I'm pretty sure that the tranny drain is the lowest of the three, so you might find the worst in there. You should be good to go now that you've drained all three.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:31pm
I bet I can get it all cleaned out now, thanks 2 the guy that commented about having three drain plugs removed?
I had some thousand grit sandpaper so I'm polishing everything up and making sure nothing looks out of place or damaged in mine and using brake cleaner and an air compressor today to get it all super clean...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:59pm
Here's an update. 

I removed the remaining parts from the two round bores in the pump. Everything looked pristine. Installed the new o-rings that came in the kit from Sandy Lake. Installed three gaskets using high-tack gasket adhesive. The pump is all reassembled - just waiting for a gasket from Sandy Lake, the one that's between the pump and the pto reservoir case.

Thanks for all the help thus far. Please keep fingers crossed that there are no leaks when I fire this tractor up.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 5:51pm
This Help?

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:05pm
Absolutely! LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:38am
Couple of quick updates:

1. I flushed both lift cylinders today. Cylinder in the vise, hose end in a small container of clean hydraulic oil; worked piston out to suck clean oil in and then pushed it in to "spit" the fluid into another container. Took several cycles to get the fluid to run clean. [In hindsight, I think it'd have been easier to disassemble the cylinders and wash them out!] Interesting: small globs of blue RTV were lurking in one cylinder; I had found some larger chunks when I took the pump apart - just 2-3. Someone has been in here before me!

2. I decided to reset the controls [A,B,C,D] on the pump before reinstalling it. I have an issue with D. The instruction I was following reads: "Screw D out as far as possible." I found that D will thread completely out of the pump....I'm doubting that this is right - certainly not desirable. D is the Control Valve Adjusting Screw [#26 in the parts diagram].

Can anyone confirm that D should not thread all the way out? I plan to find a small nut to thread onto the shaft of D to use as a locking nut so D will not vibrate out. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 05 Apr 2020 at 11:39am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
That's weird because my thumb screw that you're talkin about labeled d hits the engage PTO shaft and won't let it come all the way out
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:12pm
PTO engage shaft circled in white
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:27pm
It sounds like you are adjusting with the pump off the tractor, if so, it doesn't have the PTO control shaft to hit as Hunt4Allis pointed out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:52pm
Jim wins the prize! Yes, the pump isn't on the tractor. I'm glad to hear that the engage shaft will limit D's travel. Smile
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 5:09pm
I am happy to report that the pump is back on the tractor! It works much better than before - no more waiting a minute or two for the first lift of the day to happen. The leak from the drawbar control is no more. In fact, there are no leaks! All that's left is to reinstall the platform and she'll be good to go.

Here's a short video:

[TUBE]fvh-n2mPneU[/TUBE]

I want to thank everyone who lent a hand to help me through this project. I have to say that it was more than a little scary to dig into the pump - way too many ways for something to go wrong. So whether you texted or Pm'd or posted on here or just read the thread, THANKS! And it helped a lot to have Hunt4Allis's thread going at the same time. 

Stay safe, everyone.
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 07 Apr 2020 at 5:10pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 5:13pm
Hey Dave nice video. When you push forward on your pump handle lever to lower the arms do yours go down on their own or are you pushing on them to make them go down?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 5:21pm
Thanks, Matt.

I have to push on them - doesn't take hardly any pressure though. They'd drop like a rock if an implement were on there!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 5:48pm
Right, ok
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic