This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skid Steer Tires for Small Tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skid Steer Tires for Small Tractor
    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 8:27pm
Just something I stumbled on when looking for wider tires for my compact tractor.

I had a set of rusty rims for the original 9.5-16 Ag tires.  This tractor had a turf tire rim available when new in the 80s but tires for those rims, if you find them are over $300.

I found that tire sizes that fit a skid steer are generally much cheaper.   In my case I could buy tires in 12-16.5 size that are about 33 inch outside diameter like my originals for about $150 ea.   Less that Ag tires or turf tires.  I suspect it is because the volumes sold are much higher.

Of course the skid steer type tread is a bit harder on the turf that true turf tires but should be much better than new R1 style Ag treads.

Also found the blank rims to convert my centers online at Hey Wheels.  High quality and reasonable prices.  They answered all my questions on the phone before I ordered.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 8:43pm
On my Kubota b2150, it had turfs on it when I bought it.  Found out that the rear ag tires use the same rim as most older American tractors use on the front axle, 16", don't remember rim width.  They bolt right up, no problems. Used original front rims, to keep the 4wd ratio correct.  I think I paid $100, for both used tractor rims...

And there's always the new style tire, that just came out, the R-14...

[TUBE]7dmsD70GnOg[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 8:55pm
Rule #1:  Never EVER try to mount a 16.5" tire on a 16" rim!

A lot of skid steer tires are low profile and have very little flex to them.  That will make for a hard ride on a tractor.  Tractor tires are made for tractors and skid steer tires are made for skid steers.

$300 For a tire in today's world is not unreasonable.  I just paid $4000 for 2 back tires (24.5x32) for my D21.  That does not include tubes or mounting - just the tires alone.  Yes, it is expensive, but what are you going to do?  a tractor is no good with bad tires.  It's the cost of owning a tractor.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:10pm
Yea, the 16.5 industrial rim I got is a bit unique.  It is setup for 16" wheel centers but the bead diameter is 16.5.   

Will see how it goes on ride.  I probably would not notice much, old 18 HP tractors move pretty slow when running a mower.   Sure is handy around the yard though.

I do most of my mowing with an old grasshopper that beats me to death.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:26pm
Skid steer tires are very stiff. Without alot of wieght you will have no traction. I wouldnt bother with turf tires i use ag tires on my CA for mowing they dont slip on grass so they dont tear up the yard. On my hilly ditches turf tires spin and slide.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 12:52pm
12 x 16.5 is what my New Holland skidloader uses. They ride o.k. loader weighs over 6,000 pounds ---the new case 1530 uses 7:00 x 15 truck tires ----factory equipped that way. ---it weighs 3,800 pounds with bucket mounted.
None of the newer tires have the stiff rubber that the old ones had. --- old 6 ply tires were just that --- new 6 ply tires are only 4 ply ---new rating scam they use! anyway new tires are softer than old ones.---kinda sucks when you want good tires.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 1:09pm
Out door tire. Com shows a 9.5x15 r1 tire for 150.00 each. You could use your rims with this tire.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 1:11pm
The these skid steer tires typically can handle 60+ psi inflation pressure like a truck tire.  I am going with low end Carlisle that is 10 ply rating so should be a bit better and will run the pressure as low as I can get by.
Looks like the newer small  tractors typically run this type tire so I think it will be OK.  Probably not ideal in some conditions but i don't plow with this thing anyway.  Mostly just mow the rough stuff, not my lawn. 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 2:12pm
Double posted

Edited by HD6GTOM - 21 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 2:46pm
I never run much pressure in any of mine, -- well cept the skidloader and thats only 40 to 45 in them. On my 185 lo-boy, I run 4 pounds on it ---they are the big fat 16.5's and knobby tread. Never had one come loose from the rim yet. --book says 16 to 22 pounds needed, anything over 4 will beat you to death and since this is my main serious mower I run what works for me.
At 4 pounds the tires still stand up and still ride ruff!! LOL!!

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic