This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Insulatin foam in tires,,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insulatin foam in tires,,,,,,,
    Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 9:04pm

Well,,there was some threads some time back bout pumpin some of that insulating spray foam in lawn mower tires and after tryin that little trick,,,I'm here to tell Ya'll,,,It does work,"in A Pinch" and only if you plan to replace Both the tire AND the wheel, after a year or so when that stuff degrades and becomes a stinkin powder,,,,!! I had not used The big mower for some time and went to try airing one of the front tires,,,it would not take air for chit and leakin around the bead faster than I could put it in,,,,,NO way to seat the bead, so I tried to break the tire down to install a tube (which I shoulda done) and you talk bout a wooly Booger,,I fought thet sob all over the concrete floor and finally used the D14 to run over the tire to break the dang foam down to where I could take tire off wheel. After a couple of hours of that BS, was able to get tire off wheel and then took bout an hour to get all the friggin foam off the tire and wheel,,!! Went to TSC and got a new tube (which I shoulda done before) and got her going.
  DON"T NOBODY TRY TO CONVINCE ME THAT YOU "SAVIN MONEY" by foaming them tires,,,!!  I done learnt my lesson, Thank you very much,,,,LOL
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 10:08pm
I tried it on one of the little weedeater mower.  Talk about a BIG AZZ MESS!!!  I learnt too Joe,,,,,,,,,NEVER again!  Tubes are real cheap.  Just have to be extra careful not to pinch em putting em in......don't ask.......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 10:13pm
Was supposed to Slime em not foam em. Think you're still looking for a rim after Slimeing.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 12:27am
Joe...all you would of had to do was drill sum holes in the side wall of them tires and re-foamed them! I've got a plow (tail wheel) tire that is foamed, it's been o-k for years! i'll be foaming 4 tires on a garden cart this next week, every time I wanna use it the tires (china) is flat. no one carries tubes for this size here, they don't even know if they can gits any. now you can straighten out the bunch in your panties and move on! (poke,poke) I wouldn't steer ya wrong!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 12:27am
oh...and maybe that's what you gits for having a green mower!!!!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:50am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

oh...and maybe that's what you gits for having a green mower!!!!

Actually,,,,,,,UMmmmm,,Shameless,,,I ain't gots one of them green ones for some time.All of mine are Craftsman,,,Ummmm,,,,,except for one little bitty small,,,UHhhhhmmm weed eater,,,but,,,but,,,that one was give to me after a neighbor brought it to me cause it wouldn't start. I told him it needed a new coil and he decided to go buy a new trimmer so he gave this one to me. I argued with him "vehemantely",,,knowin you would be upset and make me pay,,,,but he was very forceful and just left it here,,,,LOLLOL So There,,!!Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:16am
Oh I so hate when that happens. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:43am
Princess Auto up here have GREAT tubes( Hi-Run brand) for riders ! Good en thick and about $6 per 6" front rim. The real PITA is installing them. if, IF you break both beads, you can just get the tube in but man the hands hurt from the 'exercise'. You're supposed to remove one side, toss tube in, then 'spoon' the bead over the rim..good luck, itty bitty 6" tires ain't got a lotta give to them.
I keep 4 on the shelf, have only needed 2 so far....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:28am
Saw this awhile back and thought of posting. A couple years ago I went for the snow blower once there was all that white stuff on the ground. I grabbed a can of the slime to fix a tire that had a small crack in it. I thought it worked so slick, used the blower and all. I bragged about that for a couple of days at work. One day in that same week I came home to green S#%t all over my work bench. Seems when that tire cut loose, it blew green snot 20ft across my shop! Do not use this stuff for anything stored near the fixed tire of importance!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:38am
Save a few pennies and waste a few days of your time!
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:35am
22 + years in the tire business and I cannot begin to count the gallons of "fix a flat" I have scooped, washed, dumped out of tires. It just makes a stinking mess. The worst I ever had to mess with, some fool pumped a can of condensed milk into a front tractor tire tube thinking it would stop the 30+ thorn holes in the tube. When that stuff turns rotten it actually stinks worse than that useless fix a flat.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:17pm
Berryman's, I can pull a 2"+ mesquite thorn out of a rear tractor tire, top it off with air if needed and go right back to work without issue.
Been using it for years as Slime is junk, even though they claimed to have changed the formula about 10 years ago to prevent rusting out rims.
Before I had protective "cups" welded on front rims at valve stem holes, only tires I could not get to hold were from nicking the valve stems up against large brush/tree saplings brush cutting.
Pulled over 30 mesquite thorns out of last front tire with nicked valve stem, took that old tube home and cut a vee in it with shears so I could drain the quart of Berryman's back into the pump bottle and re-use it back in new tube.
2-4 cups in 16" fronts, 1-2 gallons in rears up to 28's, bout' 30.00/gallon but I keep a jug on the shelf.
Works for me.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:26pm
The only right way to fill tires, is a poly fill, or a urethane based fill.  This process is used in the construction, mining, recycling industry everywhere among other things.  It fills the ENTIRE air chamber with a liquid that turns into a flexible solid as it cures in about 24 hours, so flats are NO LONGER possible.  I have never filled small cart tires, but have sworn for years to haul a truckload of tires into the nearest place that can do this, and just get it done.  I have heard bobcat sized tires run in the $50.00 range each to fill, but I cannot say for sure.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:25pm
I have 4 small 4" finish mower wheels (chinese, solid) that even though solid, would chunk out, or slither off the rim(even tho rated at 300 lb cap).  I drilled 3 holes in the tread, and filled with as much of the great stuff foam, as I could get in'em.  So far, they haven't come undone...  Time will tell, but if they put me off buying some good American wheels and solid tires, for a year, I will consider the foam a success...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic