This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ac 303 square baler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ac 303 square baler
    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:07pm
Hello. I saw an ad for a allis 303 square bales on Craigslist. Looks like everything is there and it was in a shed most of its life. Looks like it wasn’t used that long ago either. I was wondering if a lot of you guys have had experience operating and working on these balers, and if parts for these are still available. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:29pm
I bought one at an auction sale 5 years ago.  Like yours it had been stored inside, paid $350 for it.  Greased it up, shined up the knotters and took it out to the field.  The knotters look exactly the same as those found on my old Massey 10 baler, which are also the same as New Hollands. 
I have been very happy with it so far even though it does not get a lot of use. 

AGCO did actually have a small spring for the pickup that was missing on mine.  Was very surprised.  Lots were sold around here, so parts machines should be pretty easy to find.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 7:11am
My dad had one back in the 70's ran that thing to he basically wore the whole thing out.  We custom baled back then, probably ran about 80,000 bales a year thru it.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:19am
Great baler, but new parts are getting harder to find. A lot of parts machines out there. The knoter parts can get from New Holland. I've been running one for 15 years and only had one break down which was self-inflicted.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:19pm
The one weak spot on some of the 303s, is the splined shaft that drives the feeder forks.  It has a tendency to twist off at the base of the spines.  Something to check. I have seen one that it happened to, lots of pieces, and two that were twisted some but had not yet broken.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 3:14pm
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it!
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 4:50pm
Do yourself a favor and get a New Holland. At least you can still find parts for them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic