This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late Season Sledding; Be Careful

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late Season Sledding; Be Careful
    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 5:43am
Last day before putting sleds up, family members getting some riding in, Upstate NY Saturday afternoon.
41 yo nephew, leaves four kids behind.
Very experienced rider, very sad indeed as family has lost a number in last 6-7 years; cancer, farming accident and now this.

Be careful out there at the end of snowmobiling season folks, plenty of obstructions as the snow melts.
Sponsored Links

Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 5:50am
That's sad to hear. One of my friends lost his younger brother this winter. He was a senior in high school. They were running across unfamiliar ground at night and fell into a creek bottom and all the other sleds ran into him. Never good to loose someone that early in life.
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 1:57pm
Prayer for the families 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 2:33pm
Yup it happens ,, gotta know whats out there before the trip I guess, deepest sympatheys

Edited by DougG - 09 Mar 2020 at 2:34pm
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:26pm
So sorry for your loss, I've been riding for 50 years and the accidents are becoming more frequent and deadlier. Most involve speed and booze, I never ride on weekends anymore, too many out there with 500 fan skills riding 850 liquids with a belly full of beer.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 6:27pm
Conversation with brother today, he was with him at the clubhouse but he and another brother left to go to a little restaurant 15 min. ride away, nephew was to meet them there after finishing up with friends at clubhouse.
Two brothers eating when 2 State Trooper cars went by, never knew until their phones blew up.
Discussion today was how we rode as kids, within 5-10 miles of the farm, fences dropped by farmers late fall so they knew they would not be cut in the wrong place.
We rode like hell and spent more time breaking trail and "killing a hill" when we came across one with a huge wind blown lip. Come over the top easy until it broke then spend the next 1/2 hour seeing who could get back up it & over the top.
You were cool if you could climb that hill and got your chops busted if you got stuck.
More than once rolled a stuck sled over trying to dig it out when buried, no problem as Polaris dealership in the family and Dad's farm pump had plenty of gas, big deal when us kids would get a case of mixing oilunder the tree at Christmas.
I went west and family upgraded like everyone else, fast independent fronts and when I happened to visit, could not believe those production sled top speeds, long travel tracks/suspensions, heated grips, etc. and today's sleds are not cheap.

My brother put it best today; sledding is different these days as everyone wants to hit it hard on groomed trails where 150+ miles in a day of riding is the norm. Trips to restaurant/bars and make your way back, do it again the following weekend if enough snow.
People drank on sleds back in the 60/70's but today, seems like there is so much power that a blip of the throttle can get you into trouble pretty darn quick.
All we know so far is it looked like he snagged something going through the woods on a non-groomed trail and was thrown off hitting a tree where they found him.

Life is short, enjoy it but be careful.
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 6:39pm
Condolences to the family and friends. It is a sad day when something like this occurs, and there are never any answers. May God's Peace and Comfort swallow them in His love. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 7:25am
Tim, very sorry for the loss in your family.  Prayers for all the family, especially the young ones left behind.

Seems for those who sled, it's like an addiction.  Coworker's son is now 23.  4 years ago, he, his dad, and dad's friend were sledding.  Dad was leading, kid second and missed a turn.  Parked kind of sideways waiting for the 3rd guy, 3rd guy couldn't see through the powder and t-boned that kid.  The guy went flying and broke his neck but is basically OK by a miracle.  This year, same kid got his leg smashed to smithereens in a collision on a corner, other guy's fault but still.  I told my coworker he must be about ready to give it up while he still can.  "No, he's looking for a new sled while he's healing."
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
Prayers for the families  left behind. --- Not easy loosing loved ones.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:54pm
Very sorry, Tim. Our prayers are with you and the family.

I do - did, actually - love snowmobiling but haven't gone in over 30 years. I haven't owned one since I quit riding. I can't justify having one even for running the winter traplines at either farm, because if anyone sees ANY trail, whether driving by on the road or seeing one across the fence on my properties, they think "OOOH! TRAIL!!! LET'S RIDE!!!" and the next thing you know it's impossible to contain and fence is cut everywhere. Not only that, even though I don't MAKE any trails, just the sight of a snowshoe trail has the same effect. Even worse, I have had traps stolen and also any animal said trap may have contained. But it's not just snowmobilers, trespassers - especial;;y hunters - do it too. This year alone I had 2 fox, 2 raccoon and a big fisher stolen, all in a week's time by the same group of hunters we have not yet been able to identify. At least they're scared enough of the BIG coyotes around here to leave them alone. As for snowmobilers ignoring the law, about 2011-2012, I FINALLY got things under control at the remote farm by getting the police involved, and here at the home farm, for the first time since we bought the place in 1988, this is the FIRST winter we had no trouble. I don't like offending anyone, but - last fall, here at the home farm I put up 2 large signs at the 2 main problem ingress-egress points/trails that read:
"NO TRESPASSING OF ANY KIND INCLUDING AND ESPECIALLY SNOWMOBILERS
IF YOU CAN READ THIS SIGN, PLEASE TELL A SNOWMOBILER WHAT IT SAYS"
Rude, but effective; since none have EVER bothered to respect standard POSTED signs, I figured maybe they just couldn't read...

Just today - maybe yesterday? - on the Barge Canal near Rome, NY a man was ice fishing and fell through the ice. They managed to pull him out but he later died in the hospital.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:39pm
Sorry to hear that Tim. I know what you mean about the growing up years.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:51am
sorry for the loss of the family member. I too have ridden sleds for years, I think that is part of the problem with my back. lol. the old lady...oooops...I mean the loving wife wants us to get another sled, i'm not sure my back can take it anymore. and as said above, they sure have changed a lot thru the years, along with the prices! think i'll stick with more camping gear nnd cooking stuff instead.   
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 9:56am
Thanks to all for the kind words/thoughts.

He was shy of 40, wife a good five years younger and family has advised she has been very strong throughout, tough young lady with good family support on both sides.
Service today, next phase of healing begins, selling off the business assets, the business he took over from his father who only passed three years earlier.
Turns out he had received offers to purchase the tire business over the previous six months, only if he came with it for set number of years running it.
Now it is just equipment to sell.

Life marches on . . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic