This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dog Tracking ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dog Tracking ??
    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

If you see somebody dog tracking down the road, do all you can to tell them about it.  Doesn't take much to get someone killed.

My own experiences with informing people of dangerous problems with their vehicles, no matter how tactfully I may go about it, has only ever resulted in me getting my head snapped off and told to mind my own business.
It was different in the tire shop, though; their vehicle would be up on the hoist and I would just say "you might want to take a look at this", and they would be all appreciative and "boy, I am glad you spotted that"; point the same problem out to them in the Walmart parking lot and I would take a cussing and be told to keep my nose out of other people's business.
Sponsored Links

BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 12:57pm
With leaf springs, the most common reason is a broken or worn-away spring-pack pin.
The spring stack has an alignment hole in every leaf and a round-headed bolt that passes through the whole lot.
The spring perch on the axle has a center hole where the big round head of the "pin" goes.
Old age and corrosion will eat the bolt head and also the hole it resides in, allowing the spring pack to move.
The most common cause of the head getting sheared off is wrapping a chain around the axle and jerking a hung truck out of a mud-hole.

I grew up in a big tire shop and I have pointed out more broken spring pins and broken spring leaves than I could count; hardly a day would pass that I didn't find at least one stack of springs with broken leaves.
Chevrolet/GM from the sixties to the eighties were the worst for having broken springs, even broken main leaves, though no brand is immune.

The boxed/tube frame trucks are bad for the frame rotting in two and causing dog-tracking; I have seen three-year-old tube-frame trucks with big holes rotted through them; any filth or salt that gets in there can't get out and rots them from the inside.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:58am
Have seen leaf spring replacements installed backward, there is a short and long side to most of them where that will cause it too. Same as with the old 1157 lamps with offset pins, people did not pay attention and would force them in where the brake lamp element was on as tail lamp and could not see t/s or stop lights, so too they will replace a broken spring with a yarder and install it wrong.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:55am
Brian, how's that Torino coming along?  I'd still like a ride!!!Smile
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 12:37am
As I've been restoring my 68 Torino I noticed one day that the rear axle was offset about an inch towards the driver side. As I dug farther into it I uncovered a sh**ty crash repair that looked like the RR wheel must have taken the bulk of the hit. Both rear springs were bowed in the middle.
That 90's Ranger probably had leaf spring brackets rusted out and shouldn't be driving around.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:38am
SPAM!!!!!!!!
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
binfo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:08am
 am so sorry about your parents! Now that I have expressed basic human empathy, sex me please!

Edit: One of you idiots really PMed me asking me why I was doing the same thing. It was a joke. Sarcasm. Forgot the /s but I didn't think it was needed.

https://www.petsdirectstores.com
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:23pm
Yep, what Shameless says,,,,,,,,,,,and also ESPECIALLY on older vehicles and trailers, RUST.  Rust eats away part or all of a bolt or hanger and the result it something has room to move.  Check yours all the time, the spring shackles and anywhere it's bolted together.  Check welds for cracks. 
If you see somebody dog tracking down the road, do all you can to tell them about it.  Doesn't take much to get someone killed.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:17pm
the vehicle could have been wrecked sometime too...frame bent. I had a leaf spring bolt break once and it allowed the springs to slide a bit, that caused it to dog track a couple inches. I didn't notice it in the cab while driving, but a friend told me about it while he was following me one day. it got fixed the next day.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:00pm
When we bought a new '69 Ford right away I noticed it dog tracked about an inch. Took it back to Ford and said fix it. They found the center bolt hole had been bored a half inch off. So they drilled it to match the one on e the other side and it tracked straight and still does today. A lot of them sold around here did the same thing. Mine was built in Canada but I don't where the springs were made.    Leon
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:24pm
yup, what Steve says....
When I build trailers, the frame is SQUARE ( within a 1/8" ) AND the axle IS also within a 1/8" AND the tongue  IS dead centered. Everyone comments on how well the trailers 'pull straight' down the road.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:24pm
See the picture in the lower left........

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:13pm
the rear axle is setting on leaf springs and it is not square ( or perpendicular) to the truck body......... So lets say the wheel base on ONE side is 125 inches and the wheel base on the OTHER side is 126 inches .......... if you look close when driving, there are a LOT of truck that way... normally older models..  You dont see that as much in cars these days... Probably because a good percentage are front wheel drive and the rear wheels are mounted on A-frames--- hard for them to "move".

What happens is the rear axle has to be perpendicular to the road in order to go STRAIGHT... so the driver has to turn the steering wheel a few degrees off center to point the front tires  STRAIGHT down the road, even tho the truck body is setting cockeyed.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Mar 2020 at 7:16pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:31pm
What is the "main" cause of a vehicle "dog tracking"? This afternoon I met an oncoming Ford Ranger P/U('90's vintage) that had the front/steer wheels at least a tire width+ offset from the rear wheels. I honestly don't know how the driver could utilize the door mirrors and see his/her rear bumper LOL!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic