This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final drive drain plug D15 series 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildpaddle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final drive drain plug D15 series 1
    Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 11:23am
First time tractor owner: How do I change the final drive oil on a 1961 D15 series 1? I located what appears to be a drain or fill plug on the side of the housing above the pan. When I remove it oil comes rushing out. So if this is a drain plug where is the fill plug. If this is the fill plug how would a person get oil above that plug? I have all the manuals you could have on this tractor and nothing is showing the drain or fill plug.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 11:35am
Remove pan to drain and wash it out clean. Get your new gasket glued solid to the pan, dump in 1 quart of oil, install back on the tractor without spilling. Wheels out make it easier to do.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 12:18pm
I did this on my D 15 just like Dr Allis said . Well I did pull the wheels off . Don't think oil should rush out when you remove the side plug . Sounds overfull to me . HTH
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 2:02pm
The plug in the side is the fill hole and fluid level should be to the bottom edge of the hole.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 4:28pm
The Doctor is right, wheels out makes it easier.
I've done this on a few of my A-Cs, the latest being the D-17.
You may find some crud in the bottom of the pans........rarely did
anyone ever change the fluid, let alone every year as A-C recommends.
You can buy new gaskets, use silicone or make your own like I did.
Not a big job but it would be a lot easier had A-C put plugs in the bottom of the pans.
The good thing, I guess, you get to see the condition of the gears.
There have been those who went to the trouble of installing plugs.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 4:59pm
How's your brake working, on the over-full side?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 8:47pm
Is this the same for a CA.  Take off the pan clean it and add 20W oil to the fill hole?< id="idg-io-safe-browsing-enabled" ="" oninit="true">

Helping the aged survive and thrive! 1953 CA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 10:18pm
Same process for a model "CA", yes.
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 6:26am
Or Universal Trans/Hydro Oil?  

Awesome and thank you!!

Dan

< id="idg-io-safe-browsing-enabled" ="" oninit="true">

Edited by CA13414 - 03 Apr 2024 at 6:27am
Helping the aged survive and thrive! 1953 CA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 6:43am
Universal/Trans Hydraulic oil is far easier to find these days and works just fine.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 7:15am
Some of the purists take exception to this, but what I (and many others) do when you pull the pan off is weld an NPT female bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the pan, then just use an NPT maple plug as a drain plug. That way you can change the oil in the future by just draining through the plug you've added and filling through the level plug, without having to pull the pan. You just want to make sure when you go to change the fluid that you drain it after use when it's warm and all the crapulence is still suspended in the oil, so it all drains out.

Edited by DanielW - 03 Apr 2024 at 7:18am
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 8:05am
Checked the final drive oil level a few weeks ago in my D 15. One side was a smidge low so I topped it off. Imagine a lot of final drives seldom get checked. I just happened to think about mine. Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 8:20am
Two reasons for no drain plug: #1. Cost.  #2. anything hanging below has the possibility of getting snagged or damaged causing a leak which might not be noticed and then run out of oil.  For decades automobiles make you remove the oil pan to automatic transmissions to clean out good, change the internal filter and not have a drain plug to worry about.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 9:09am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Two reasons for no drain plug: #1. Cost.  #2. anything hanging below has the possibility of getting snagged or damaged causing a leak which might not be noticed and then run out of oil.  For decades automobiles make you remove the oil pan to automatic transmissions to clean out good, change the internal filter and not have a drain plug to worry about.

True, but the final dives are usually a lot higher than anything else. If you're snagging the drain plug for a final drive, you're likely well past the point of snagging the oil drain plug, hydraulic plug (depending on model), and buried up to your axles. And the final drives are usually pretty well protected inside the rims. My understanding of why they didn't put a drain plug in was that they intended owners to drop them and clean out all the sludge/junk. Which makes sense, and I agree with the principal, but unfortunately many folks just didn't bother because it was too much trouble. Although I know two wrongs don't make a right, I'd still rather have one with a drain plug that someone's changed and monitored regularly (even if they never dropped it and cleaned it thoroughly) than one that's never been changed because the previous owner didn't want to go to the trouble of dropping/cleaning/making gaskets. On my later Allis's that I use often, I change the oil every other year, and do a full drop/clean about every 5 years.

Edited by DanielW - 03 Apr 2024 at 9:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic