This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Steering System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEB-KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Steering System
    Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:56am
I have lost oil from the worm gear compartment, but I can’t figure our how to access the compartment. The WD manual says to remove the cover from the top of the front support. There is a round cap on the top, a couple of inches in diameter, but I don’t know how to remove it. Help?
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 2:14pm
Remove the drain plug and put a grease zerk in it's place. Pump a couple tubes of corn head grease in it and call it good. JMO
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
NEB-KC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEB-KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:37pm
Thanks for your suggestion. The drain plug is 1/4” pipe thread. I haven’t yet been able to find a zertz fitting that sized. Their is a lot of discussion and disagreement about using corn head grease in sterling units, all of which I haven’t reconcilled.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:51pm
I was in the same boat as far as using it, but when Old Guard recommends it - I used it and no problems on my 1955 WD45.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:54pm
Do not use regular grease. It will eventually get hard and not be in the places it needs to be. Mine got so hard to steer it was almost impossible to turn. I took the cover off, cleaned out all the old hard grease and filled it with corn head grease. It steers great now.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:57pm
Just get a 1/4 in to 1/8 in pipe reducer bushing and screw in a regular 1/8 in grease zerk.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:43pm
That round plug you're talking about can be popped out using a medium sized chisel. set it under the lip and carefully tap it working around as much as you can. If it hasn't come out, get a bigger chisel. When you get ready to put it back in clean and brush it, put on a small bead of RTV and tap into place.    Leon
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:19am
Originally posted by NEB-KC NEB-KC wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. The drain plug is 1/4” pipe thread. I haven’t yet been able to find a zertz fitting that sized. Their is a lot of discussion and disagreement about using corn head grease in sterling units, all of which I haven’t reconcilled.

There is no need for a 1/4npt fitting when you can buy a reducer bushing. Yo can also buy the 1/4 npt fitting if you look for one. https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/36-130.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqY3zBRDQARIsAJeCVxOEMz4TE4wddM-qCC7Dv8qlo9YVJ89ap_LG0wHkHJ1XbeWtRwIMlpcaAqY0EALw_wcB
Cornhead grease works great in just about any gearbox. I've had a combination of regular grease and a bit of gear lube in the gearbox on a 5 foot Ford rotary cutter for close to 30 years. It doesn't leak out like gear lube will and keeps things running smooth.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic