This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D14 brakes and seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D14 brakes and seal
    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:11am
OK, finally decided this would be a GREAT week to replace the carrier oil seal, seeing how I found the pkg of 6 I bought back in 2015. Shoes were a tad oil soaked, so new ones being rebuilt as I have 2 sets of B and not D here....sigh.
I installed 2 seals as there was lots of room,hope the correct cops dont see that 'upgrade'.
Query...I'm assuming the 5th hole in the carrier shims goes to to '12 oclock' position ?
So far only one bandaid....
... though the right side  is wet now... dbl sigh

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 3:15pm
I put 2 carrier oil seals in as shaft was worn and there's enough space ! Still wondering what the 5th, smaller , hole is for on te 4 shims.....oh well, progress....need to 'unloa' the tire ....

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 4:36pm
Looks like you are well into it now! May as well do the other side too then you are good for another 50 years or so. Why are you putting two seals in? Will still leak in 50 years.
Can you show a pic of that shim? Would that 5th hole be oil drain?

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 04 Mar 2020 at 5:14pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 5:36pm
Hay Ed
The 'cavity' where the seal goes was deep enough to put to seals in and the axle shaft has some grooves in it. An extra $6 seal  didn't break the bank. I used National Seal # 471765. They may be thinner than the originals, 230851. The differential dwg, pg 157, sows the seal as #14 and wide, maybe 1/2". I'm thinking the new seal will ride on a good part of the axle. Well, that's my theory.
Same dwg show the 5th hole at 12o'clock, but still have no idea WHY the hole. It's maybe 1/4", same as the 'pivot pin' for the brake lever parts....
Yeah, I'll do the other side AFTER I get the new shoes installed and Troy on the road again. The sad thing is the old shoes looked real new, but 100% oil soaked.
'Fun' part will be sliding the axle back into the diff..
In the meantime, my truck blew a brake line and in the shop.....
hmmm  that's 2 of 3.......
Jay

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:51pm
Yes the seal will put a pretty good groove in an axle. You can get a speedi sleeve for it if it is too bad but they are expensive. Usually $20 or so for each one. Good luck on the brake lines. I finally did all of them on my old GMC after patching a couple times. 😀
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 9:43am
local mechanic did the truck, 2 new front steel lines and 2 flex lines....not too bad foe a '97 F150....

Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:24pm
Jay, Just put the final drives back on my '57 D-14. Hate to say how long they have been on the shop floor. The new brake linings seemed to be too thick. Had to pull the assembly back off a few times and sand down the linings. Finally got it to turn with a piece of board bolted on the wheel for a lever. Thank heavens I invested in a rolling shop crane a few years ago. Made lifting the final drives easier but not easy. Bob@allisdowneast.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:52pm
Some of the NEW drums are what's too thick...had that happen a few times now, unless you had used drums. A&I had problems with them here a while back and if you took about .20 thousandths off the NEW drums, everything was fine. Come to find out they were too thick from the factory. This was roughly about 1 year ago?   Rick
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:43pm
sad thing is the oil soaked linings were as thick as the brand new B linings ,I ,um, kinda misordered , 6 years ago.... I've heard horror stories about removing the drums, so on it stayed ! hoping I get the call tomorrow that the new shoes are ready....
sad thing is 4 new brake lines  installed in the F150 cost me MORE than the D14 did 20 years ago.
I have an overhead Ibeam and final sits pretty level using a strap on chain hoist. Saves me trying to weld up a special 'install jig', well 2, right side 'should' be done...later... only 14 days until Spring !!

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 9:59pm
Jay, I have changed seals on 3 D14's and I cleaned up the shoes every time. Washed them with gas and ether and then dried them out with the torch and they have stayed good on all three tractors. Just don't throw the old shoes away. I don't think the holes in the shims matter much but I put them back the way they sat coming off. I did check for bearing pre-load and it was time to remove one shim on each side, after running for 60 years or close to it, some clearance in the bearing is to be expected. It sure is nice to get the brakes working good again.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:08am
Hay Eric, I sprayed a whole can of brake cleaner /compressed at at one and it STILL 'bled' out so took shoes in for relining. While I don't use Troy for real farming,having a left brake will be nice. I've had zero interest for the B brake kits,cost more to ship 'south of the 49th' than you guys can buy there, sigh.
With 4"+ of 'Shamless donation' here, I may weld up a 'final drive install jig'.

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:49am
Jay get about 2” of gasoline in a clean 5 gal pail and let your shoes soak over nite. They should come out nice. The brake clean nowadays is useless. Just a great source of income for the parts store!
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:04pm

Jay

Your question about the '5th hole' in the shim:

The D-14 Parts Catalog, page 157, shows shim with 5th hole at the top.

Gary
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:15pm
Picked up my new shoes at 4 today....took 3hrs to 'persuade' the final drive to line up and get snugged down. BEFORE I do the right side I WILL weld up an 'alignment carrier' . That has to be easier than 2 chain hoists and a cumalong... Wonder what shops use ?
It'd be interesting to see how the factory did it. Would love to know what the 5th hole is for.
Oh well, no bandaids today and less parts splattered all over the garage, so a good day.

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:21pm
Sorry to hear about your trouble Jay... I have never had that problem, the final drive normally slips into place in less than one minute. I make sure it's hanging at the perfect angle, generally hitched so I can adjust the approach angle. Then I look into the diff making note of the position of the spline, then I take note of the spline on the axle shaft and carefully adjust it to match for slipping into place. If need be you can grab the flange of the axle stub and wiggle it slightly and in it goes. There is high risk of damaging the new seal by trying too long. You can always take out two of the studs - kitty corner - then install longer studs for a more perfect alignment. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:06am
Well Troy is on the road again ! Only cost another bandaid and 2 hours this morning. Not used to a left brake, feels weird...Once the 12" high density white, that you-know-who 'donated' yesterday goes away , I'll setup the brakes better.
I WILL make a  'jig' defore I tackle the right side though.
Thanks for all the support !
I really should replace the PTO lever O-ring..sigh, that looks challenging though.
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic