This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 power steering
    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 5:04pm
I have a D15 industrial loader and backhoe from the factory with shuttle shift on the left side. My power steering pump is leaking hydraulic oil.

1. Can I just replace a seal or 2. does the whole pump need rebuilt to stop the leaking?

The steering is strong and works great even under a load, but it leaks quite a bit of oil. It will leak all the oil in 24hrs. Please help with any information. A part number and repair steps. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mpat70 - 14 Mar 2020 at 2:33pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:42pm
The power steering pump is on the engine directly underneath the ignition distributer. I think you are leaking oil from the swing arm shaft under the radiator, and yes, there is an oil seal on that shaft that is known to leak when they are more than 50 yrs old.
Mpat70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:13am
Thank you Dr Allis for the information. Greatly appreciated. The power steering pump is mounted directly under the generator I see it now.

1. Do you know the part number for the seal by chance?

2. Do YOU know if there is an internal filter in the powering steering pump? Part #?

3. I misspoke when I said the pump was strong. It was 1½ years ago when I parked it but this morning it is weak and sluggish. Only 60° outside.

4. Is there a repair kit I can order for this powering steering pump? Part #?

Thank you very very much for any information.
Mpat70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:17am
I should note that it's a g149 motor

Edited by Mpat70 - 14 Mar 2020 at 2:33pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:15am
The power steering control valve is underneath the generator !!!   The power steering pump is under the distributer on the other side of the engine. There is no filter on the power steering system. All repair parts for the control valve and swing arm seal are available from AGCO.   AGCOPARTSBOOKS.com is the website. Sign in aa a "guest" on the lower right side of the main page.  D-14/D15 parts should be the same for what you're doing.
Mpat70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:36am
Yes my power steering pump is under my generator which the distributor sits on the generator.

Mpat70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:41am
Mpat70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:46am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:22am
The generator is on the LEFT side of the engine just ahead of the carburetor. Your power steering pump is underneath the GOVERNOR, which is on the right side of the engine.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:15am
It is not real clear in your last photo, but it looks like you have an alternator where the generator would have been.
Mpat70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:03pm
Yes you are correct, I'm sorry. The governor of under the distributor. Forgive my ignorance, this had me do stressed because I can't find a pump anywhere.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:33pm
Inspect the shaft when you replace the seal.  The shaft could also be worn and may need to get built up at a machine shop.  My neighbor told me that happened to his a few days ago.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:18am
Where is the pump leaking ??  If between the sections (two places to leak) take the pump apart and apply some Loctite or hydraulic sealer between the surfaces and reassemble it. If it's leaking motor oil, there is an Oring or gasket between the pump and the engine block. Internal parts for that pump I think are obsolete.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 7:33am
Back to the top. This sure looks to me like the tractor that is now being advertised as a 1968 D-15 ???
Mpat70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpat70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:54am
That was an uninformed listing. I posted that going off the engine serial number I forgot about the post and have now deleted it. Thanks for the catch. I am reposting it correctly. I think I will end up parting this machine ou if I can't find someone who want it. Many parts are discontinued and it hard to find a buyer.

Edited by Mpat70 - 14 Mar 2020 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic