This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator question
    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 4:04pm
I made new cables and replaced some wiring on the 17 series 4 diesel today. When I hooked the batteries up, it wasn't long before the generator started to smoke, it didn't get hot though, as I unhooked the cables. This happened before I could get the regulator polarized. So I took the generator loose and hooked the cables up again, this time it would turn on its own, after I bumped the pulley. My question is, do I have something not grounded properly, wired wrong or a problem with the voltage regulator?   Maybe something in the generator itself? Or perhaps the starter/manifold heater solenoids sticking? There are 2 new 12 volt batteries hooked in series, new regulator, generator rebuilt, positive ground, new ignition switch, (which I never turned on). Any advice? Thank you!
Sponsored Links

Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
Hoping that you mean the batteries are hooked together in parallel, rather than series, since you don't have a 24 volt system. It sounds like the contacts are stuck in your regulator, which feeds power to the generator, making it an electric motor.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 4:39pm
Series is hooked ground to positive making it 24V. If in fact thats what you did you may have fried the regulator. When power is applied to a generator it will turn into a motor and rotate. Other wise I'd say you crossed some wires
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 5:28pm
The batteries are hooked + to +, and - to -, positive ground. I followed the diagram in the operators manual, but noticed some of the wire numbers don't jive between the drawing and the legend.
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:23pm
Wires were are hooked up right at generator, but not at the regulator. Tried it again after correcting the wiring at the regulator and gen still spins. Took cover off of regulator and points didn't appear stuck, was able to move both sets. So, did I fry the regulator/ Where else should I look/ Thanks for all the advice so far, gentlemen1 My keyboard is being naughty, can't get some of the punctuation to work, for some reason.
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:24pm
Forgot to mention, the gen still spins when the batteries are hooked up.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:55pm
Is the generator mounted and secured to the tractor.  If it loses ground it will turn into a motor.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:05pm
No, it's just sitting on the tractor now, but if I move it, it sparks and starts spinning.
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:20pm
Since the regulator was hooked up wrong, could it have effected the ignition switch, causing it to be stuck closed now/
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 2:23pm
If the cutout relay inside the regulator isn't stuck closed or bridged some how, you have a short to power on the Armature circuit. Double check the wiring between the generator and regulator and make sure it is correct. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 5:03pm
Thanks guys, I'll double check that. The wiring at the generator is correct according to the diagram in the operator manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic