This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offset Grind G149

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offset Grind G149
    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:48am
Has anyone had their G149/G138/G160 crank offset ground? What rod did you end up using? My crank is going to need turned so I'm thinking about going ahead and getting some more power while im at it.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:13am
The offset grinding of a crankshaft was never intended to be used on an engine that was expected to go back to "work".  The strength of the crankshaft is compromised (weakened) by doing this. You want more HP ?? Use higher compression pistons and a larger carburetor. Grind the crank to whatever makes it smooth and round hagain. No one will offset grind your crank for the same price that they will just grind it the normal way.

Edited by DrAllis - 25 Feb 2020 at 9:14am
1955allisca View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:31pm
I already have the higher comp pistons just looking for some more displacement.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 1:02pm
Why?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:42pm
listen to the sages, or go with a G160 engine.  If you had seen the broke cranks we used to see  ..........................
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:53pm
If you want POWER, TURBOCHARGE it Thumbs Up

After I finish with work that is needed in the rear and transmission, it will get bigger tires. 
If you remove the pan, you'll see how close the top of the rod bolts get to the cam as things are now. There is really no room to get closer. As the cam is hollow, you don't want to go grinding into it for clearance.. The rod journals are small enough already, so you really don't want to go using a different rod with a smaller journal if you expect it to live. I've seen a motor that the fellow said was a 4" stroke, although all he could show me was an inspection hole in the right side. 

Edited by PaulB - 28 Feb 2020 at 2:01pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:57pm
It would sure be nice to know exactly how the tractor will be used...………..
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:19am
It will just be used to hook to the sled a few times a year. Mainly tug pulling but possibly some speed pulls.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:15am
Larger carb and improved manifold is external and easy. Taller pistons to raise compression up to 240 psi or a little more would require racing fuel, but will increase your HP/torque if you aren't at that level already. What does your engine currently have for cranking compression pressure  ???  120 Psi ??
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:26am
Yes my 3 other g149s have around 120-150. I was wanting to make this engine a little meaner. I bought this engine stuck and have most of what I need to put it together just thought I'd see if anyone was running an offset ground crank for a little more power.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:35am
You have thee PERFECT opportunity to make it better than ANY of your other engines.  240 psi of cranking compression and 110 octane gasoline is a very easy upgrade, especially when replacing pistons anyway. Remember ignition timing will have to be retarded to around 20 degrees BTDC instead of 30 degrees. Dyno timing is the best to know where the sweet spot is.
Justin Vandy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin Vandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 3:47pm
DrAllis is there a piston currently for this application or is it custom made? I have the 160 specifically that I wouldn't mind sticking high compression pistons in.
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:59pm
Here is another option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allis-Chalmers-Basic-Engine-Kit-Fits-D10-D12-D14-D15/171376201231?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I don't know what you get for C/R with it but, it gives you 154.5 CI.

Since your crank needs to be turned, you can get 1 more CI (155.5) and a little more compression, if you can get your local machine shop to offset grind your crank .025 (.0125 off center) for a 3.900 stroke, by using .030 under rod bearings.

The compression rise would be similar to using a .012 thinner head gasket.

If the distance from the pin to the top of the piston (CH) is the same as a stock piston, you gain compression there too.

Edited by frnkeore - 20 Jul 2020 at 6:00pm
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic