This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hose Wick for steering clutch bearing HD5G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hose Wick for steering clutch bearing HD5G
    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 12:10pm
I can get a hose replacement made at my local NAPA store for the steering clutch throw out bearing lube oil hose for my HD5G but the wick that goes inside the hose is unavailable, I contacted my parts folks at General Gear and they suggested that I contact you folks on the AC forum for help, any help or ideas about how to make a wick would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 1:25pm
Get a 1/4 pipe plug and plug the end at rear housing , then get grease gun hose and run through the housing cover over brake band - use grease gun to lube the throw out bearing . Same as the wick in crank to grease the pilot bearing plug it and use a sealed bearing into flywheel - solves the problems there also 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
farmer Brown View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 4:03pm
Thanks Coke-in-MN for the reply, sounds like a good idea. Do you suggest regular EP2 grease or some other type of grease?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 12:45pm
Just standare gun grease - and don't overdue it - lube it when you lube the clutch sleve in the bellhousing for the master clutch 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
My book for the HD 6G called for 1 or 2 pumps after you get the hose full of grease. Have fun with your crawler, I did for years.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 5:19pm
Thanks for the information Coke-in-MN and HD6GTOM I have had the HD5G for a couple of years, now that I am retired I hope to have more time to  spend on it and get it going. It was built in 1949 the same year that I was born, or so I was told it was built in 1949.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:07am
post the serial # and will get the year . #1358 to #4315 were built in 1948
I still have a 1955 HD5G I bought in 1972 , sold a 1948 HD5B I had for 5 years and replaced it with a Fiat Allis FD5  - sold a 1953 HD5G after rebuilding it back to operating condition  HD4 loader with backhoe attachment got traded for a skid loader when I bought a AC715 B TLB
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm
HD5G   serial no. 15409
Sounds like you have had a lot of experience with these units, I may have a lot questions in the future if you are willing to answer them.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:38pm
Seems I have been in and around and within many areas of the machine over the years , did a lot of work with that HD5G , loaded a lot of fill and dug quite a few basements also . 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic